Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421147 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2010, 09:11:42 pm »
Well tonight I did the "or something" part of this topic.

Shoveled snow.  Many times.  Lots of it  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sues1953

« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2010, 09:56:11 am »
Hi Everyone!

I knew this thread was about making commitments to exercise so I finally read the posts.  I'm glad I did.

I have exercised regularly since I was in my twenties and since my AN diagnosis for whatever reason it has been hard.  I guess a feeling of whats the use.  I know that it is a bit of feeling sorry for myself (this forum helps me so much with that, you all are amazing) so I will commit and get back on that treadmill.  I was working on running but I think I will stick to walking for now.

Jan, I think 90 minutes is such a long time.  I was doing 60 minutes everyday and that I think is part of what sabotaged me.  I will tell myself that even if I just do 15 minutes that will be better than nothing.

Good luck fellow exercisers!!!!

Sue
3.2 cm AN Right side diagnosed 12/4/09
Translab surgery May 2010 with Dr. Jack Kartush and Daniel Pieper at Michigan Ear Institute.
Successful surgery .5mm left on facial nerve.  Full facial movement. SSD, Tinnitis, tongue and lip numbness.  No headaches.  Back to living life.

Keri

« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2010, 02:13:37 pm »
hi sue,
glad you're here. when i was diagnosed a little over a year ago, i had just finished a marathon, and was already signed up for a half marathon in the spring. i thought, 'oh no - i'll never feel like running again.' it was in the middle of winter, as well, and i just thought i'd never do it. my surgery was just a little over a year ago and i had no idea if i'd be able to do my march half. 3 weeks post op i started running/walking very slowly (i'm slow anyway). i was able, in subsequent weeks to build up to 10 miles and was able to complete the half very slowly. i was glad i had already signed up for it or i don't think i would have ever bothered. that said, it's not like you need to go sign up for some huge race or anything, esp if you're still searching for what treatment you're going to do and don't know the date. but trying to stay in shape before any treatment is very helpful. i think it helped my balance overall to keep running right up until surgery. i think if you try to do your 15 minute walk as consistently as you can will help your overall outlook and recovery in the long run. (that is, if it's been clear for you to exercise). 

right now i'm trying to motivate myself to do something (jan - that 'something' will be shoveling, probably tomorrow - i'm so sick of it!!!) we're on snowstorm #3 in the last 2 weeks. i know some areas of the country, y'all deal with this every winter, but in the DC area, it all just stops and everyone freaks out for a while!

i need to take the dog out for a walk/run. that's my exercise goal for the day. if i don't do it, i'll be cleaning doggie poop in the house.

at least we have our power back on, which is very nice!

keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2010, 02:27:33 pm »
Keri, I'm in Atlanta, but the 1/2 is in Jax, Fl.  So, should be just perfect...I sure hope so, anyway.  The one I did on Halloween had rain every step of the way!

Jan, shovelling snow definitely counts...a lot!  Every time I start to grumble down here in GA, I think about all of you folks digging out of the snow and I try, try, try not to complain...don't know how y'all stand it!

Sue, glad you popped in - getting started back with your exercise will be a nice mental break for you also while you decide on treatment, which can be so overwhelming and all-consuming.  Let us know how it goes!

Dance class for me tonight - Brad & I are on lesson #5 out of 6, but you wouldn't know it to watch us - we're still quite awful.  But, still having a lot of fun with it.  Interestingly, it does not make me any where near as wonky as tennis does...

Stay warm, everyone!

Cindy

PS - Kay, how's your eye?
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2010, 04:06:54 pm »
Thanks for your concern, everyone...believe it or not, my eye is GOOD (I even wore make-up today!)...I think it was just very irritated - that eyelash must have been the culprit.  i never went to the Dr. since we had the stomach flu and just kept it VERY lubricated!

In other news, I talked to my ortho doc at church Sunday - I just told him that I was coming to see him & he asked ME what was wrong (I try to now to bother people w/ jobs like that at church - they are there to worship, NOT treat people!)...anyway, he said that the bruising and tenderness WERE normal, but if I still have pain after about a week to come in.  I may go in anyway because I have noticed that it is hard to bend down (curl up?) my toes.  Dave & I are going to Canada in a few weeks for a wine tasting dinner and we are staying at a ski lodge - his parents are really encouraging us to ski so I really need to know if that is something I can do.  If not, that is a LOT of clothes I can not pack!

Needless to say, I have NOT been to the gym!  :o(

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2010, 03:37:42 pm »
Kaybo -

glad to hear the eye is good. Fantastic news!  ;D

Hope the ankle follows the eye's example  ;)

Keri -

I can't even imagine being in the DC area.  We have an office there, so I've heard tales - way too much snow for me.  I'll take the "small" amount we got the other day.  Just enough to close school, but pretty much moved to the side by that afternoon.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jeanlea

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2010, 10:12:01 pm »
Kaye, I hope that your ankle feels good enough to ski.  I tried that once, after my surgery, and couldn't make it off the bunny hill.  Heck, I had difficulty making it UP the bunny hill on the tow rope.  Downhill skiiing is not one of my skills.  I'd like to blame the AN, but I don't think that was the problem.

Sue, any exercise is good.  I'm happy to get in 30 minutes each day. 

I've set a new goal for myself.  This summer I'm joining some other friends to take a bicycle tour of the UP of Michigan.  We plan on biking about 50 miles each day!  The most I've done before is 24 miles in one day. 

I'm 12/12 with my yearly exercise goal now.  And it hasn't included snow shoveling.  lol  All the southern and eastern states are getting the snow.  Wow! 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

texsooner

« Reply #112 on: February 13, 2010, 09:58:34 am »
Way to go everybody.

I'm bundling up and going for a 35 mile bike ride this morning with a couple of other bike team members. It's 37 degrees here (down south)...very chilly for bike riding, but must keep up the training. Planning on running 6 to 8 miles tomorrow...stating it here means I have a good chance of doing it.

Whether it's biking, walking, running, jumping jacks, weights, shoveling snow...let's all get up and do something. Be safe and active.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jeanlea

« Reply #113 on: February 13, 2010, 10:13:40 am »
I got my run in this morning.  My friend and I ran with my daughter.  She sets a wicked pace!  My friend and I both ran personal bests for our time.  The temperature was about 24 which is normal for here this time of year.  But 37 in Texas?  That's cool for a bike ride.  Patrick, tell me how do I not get a sore butt from biking??

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

texsooner

« Reply #114 on: February 13, 2010, 03:53:35 pm »
Jean, great job on your record time run. 24 is still pretty cold to me, even for running.

Yes, the 30's are not necessarily that unusual for parts of Texas, but down here around Houston it usually happens only a few times a season....however this winter it's been in the 30's here very regularly.

Now for the sore butt question...The best thing you can do if you are planning to bike a lot, is to invest in a very good pair of bike shorts. Most really good bike pants that are worth it cost anywhere from $80 to $140...I know that sounds like a lot, but if you ride frequently for many miles, they are definitely worth it. Most bike shops will have several brands/types for men and women. I'm told they don't make the best fashion statement, but I don't care. Other than that, you just need to ride consistently to literally get your "butt" in bike shape by getting used to being on the bike saddle for several miles/hours. It's also a good idea to take breaks to rest your butt and legs. On our long bike rides, we usually take breaks every 10 to 15 miles. 

Good luck on your bike riding goal. 50 miles a day should really keep you in great shape. If I had the time, I'd love to do the same on biking every day during the summer.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2010, 04:16:37 pm »
Does house cleaning count?  It's the only kind of exercise I got this weekend  ::)

That, and grocery shopping.

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2010, 05:55:23 pm »
OK -trying for the gym in the morning...maybe if I write it here, I will go...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2010, 09:03:24 pm »
Help, I've fallen off the Exercise Wagon and can't get back on!  It all started on Thursday, my birthday, since I had gone for my annual physical the day before and my doctor said everything looked good I decided to celebrate by skipping the gym and going out to buy my birthday present with my husband.  Then we went to dinner.  The next day I was going back to the gym but my husband called and said he needed to go back to the store and change the order we had placed for my birthday present.  We did that after work so no gym that day.  Was going to go on a nice long walk like we do on Sundays with the dog but my husband got up and rode his bike 20 miles before I was even out of bed.  He's getting ready for the bike to work week in May.  Being determined and not to be out done by my husband I decided to go to the gym on a Sunday(never have).  Then about 1:30 my sister called as a belated birthday call and we talked for 2 hours, finished cleaning the house, fixed dinner and here I am.  My son is at the club working out preparing to go to Delta selection with the Army, should have gone with him but then dinner wouldn't be ready when he got home.  SO, tomorrow I will go to the gym despite the fact that I have the day off because it's President's Day.

Pat, I can't imagine doing 35 miles on the bike, I've done 20 with my husband then nothing else the rest of the day.

Jan, House cleaning does count, glad you brought it up as I was thinking it should while I was vacuuming

Kay, Off to the gym we go, we posted it here so it is set in stone
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #118 on: February 15, 2010, 07:17:21 am »
I realized last night but didn't get up to put it here that Dave is off today...I already have a meeting at 11 & have to make copies at the school before that so he & I are going out to breakfast...I'll have to see how tomorrow looks - NO GYM TODAY!!

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #119 on: February 15, 2010, 08:39:41 am »
The only exercise I got this weekend was shivering while my kids, who apparently don't feel cold, played at the playground.  On the bright side, I did run back home when I couldn't stand it anymore!  Not a long run... the shivering probably burned off more calories.   :-[

MUST GET TO THE Y THIS WEEK!   >:(

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.