Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420996 times)

anissa

• My Journey
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 10:53:53 am »
Keri, I can't wait to hear how your half went today!  Its 23 outside here right now, I hope its warmer in your area! 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cindyj

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 01:33:29 pm »
How'd it go, Keri?  Did you get to eat your waffles!

Congrats, Anissa, on the 5K...let us know how that goes!

Nancy, have a great trip and enjoy those hikes!  Hope it's not too hot down there for you 8)

My friends & I did our 11 mile jog/walk/jog training yesterday - very cold and windy - we tried to think of it as invigorating :D Brad & I then attempted to go dancing (to try out our new skills after our 3 lessons).  As if the dancing isn't challenging enough, they had a disco ball - wow, the wonkiness!  Great time laughing about it all, though!  Yes, we're still terrible and I can't blame it on my surgery :o

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jeanlea

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2010, 04:30:17 pm »
It may be cold outside, but the Y was nice.  I like their treadmills better than mine.  I did a 40 minute workout of walking and running.  Trying to up my speeds on the running parts.  On Monday my exercise contest begins.  There are about 20 or so of us around the country that compete to see who can exercise the most days for a year.  I'm the reigning champion!  No more sluffing off. 
Keri, good luck on your half-marathon tomorrow! You won't be cold for long.  :-)
It's great that there are so many people with exercise goals.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

lori67

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2010, 04:34:40 pm »
I got my exercise today by spending 20 minutes to get the kids bundled up to play in the snow, so they could come back in 15 minutes later and I could un-do the bundling....only to have to do it all over again 15 minutes later!  Oh, and lets not forget having to towel off the dogs every time they came in from rolling in the snow.

I may get some running in later when I run away from home for a little break!  I may have to put chains on my sneakers though - pretty slippery out there.  

Lori, suffering from cabin fever during Virginia Beach Winter Blast 2010
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 06:14:49 pm »
I love the running away from home idea, Lori.  I can relate to that one some days  :D  ;D

I went for another long walk today.  I'm hopeful if I can at least get some exercise in on the weekends it will motivate me to get some in during the week.

I also bought a punching bag that is fantastic for relieving stress - my son is using it too. 

Congrats to all of you who are doing way more than me - and thanks for providing all of us with some incentive.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 07:34:10 pm »
I did my first PAID photo shoot (braved the ICY roads) - that was definitely a workout!  Up, down, up, down...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 08:53:57 pm »
Checking in with a 6 mile run earlier today. First mile was cold, but not bad after that.

Great job Jean, Cindy and Jan.

Lori, it's okay to run away as long as you run back.

Still waiting to hear about Keri's half marathon.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 10:58:40 pm »
Keri has thawed out now.

let's see - there was a chance of 'dusting' today in the snow forecast. our half was along the C&O canal, on a path between the canal and the potomac river. really pretty. after the first mile or so it really started snowing. it wasn't slippery though. i ran really slow the first half (i mean i was in 2nd to last place i think!) when we reached the half way mark i decided i should pick up the pace or my car might get snowed in. plus i wanted some coffee (never got the waffles). so, to keep from getting totally bored, i had started counting the people when they ran by me the other way. when i was on my way back, i actually passed some people so i kept myself entertained by trying to 'pick off' people ahead of me (you have to do this stuff sometimes to keep it interesting) to see how many people i could pass. i still finished near the end, but not second to last! i think i was 273 out of 330 or so runners (small race). it was fun. the snow was really pretty in that setting. by the time i got to the car, there was probably close to  2" on the ground. it was cold at first, but i had on three long sl tech t shirts and actually took the top one off. i did have ice on my eye lashes and the end of my hair! my time was 2:19. not my best (2:08) and not my worst (2:38) and a little worse than my average, but that's ok. i'm glad i got out of bed and ran it.
thanks for asking!

cindy - sounds like fun - run 11 miles then dance all night!
jan - good for you on the long weekend walks
jean - good for you for beating everyone in workout # days. that's an interesting way to track it. do you get a prize?
good for everyone who walked, ran, treadmilled, etc
patrick - glad you didn't bike in wind and rain.
kay - what did you photograph? hope ankle is better
lori - enjoy the snow!
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2010, 08:18:13 am »
Way to go Keri - in adverse conditions too!!

I did a 13 years olds birthday party where they dressed up & had a photo shoot - sounds really fun but I don't think I did very well.  First, remind me to NEVER to do this for my daughters (unless everyone invited is a beauty queen!) - that is just a very awkward age - braces, zits, big lips, not being able to fill out dresses, etc.  Second, they didn't really get into it - a couple did, but as a whole, NO!  And third, & maybe most importantly, they had already set the atrium where we shoot up for an event last night so the main place we usually shoot was covered by a buffet table!  I didn't have hardly any room or places for the pictures!  I had nightmares about it all night and expect the photog that I shot for to call me up & say NO MORE!!  Hopefully she can edit them & make them acceptable!  I guess it will be better next time!
Thanks for asking!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2010, 09:39:16 am »
Great job Keri. I don't know that I could have done that in the snow.  Well done.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2010, 02:10:48 pm »
I got my exercise today by spending 20 minutes to get the kids bundled up to play in the snow, so they could come back in 15 minutes later and I could un-do the bundling....only to have to do it all over again 15 minutes later!  Oh, and lets not forget having to towel off the dogs every time they came in from rolling in the snow.

I have a feeling this is going to be my day today too!  I just sent them outside so maybe I'll do some wii fit since I won't be running in the snow.   ;D
Anissa
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2010, 02:14:30 pm »

I did a 13 years olds birthday party where they dressed up & had a photo shoot - sounds really fun but I don't think I did very well.  First, remind me to NEVER to do this for my daughters (unless everyone invited is a beauty queen!) - that is just a very awkward age - braces, zits, big lips, not being able to fill out dresses, etc.  Second, they didn't really get into it - a couple did, but as a whole, NO!  And third, & maybe most importantly, they had already set the atrium where we shoot up for an event last night so the main place we usually shoot was covered by a buffet table!  I didn't have hardly any room or places for the pictures!  I had nightmares about it all night and expect the photog that I shot for to call me up & say NO MORE!!  Hopefully she can edit them & make them acceptable!  I guess it will be better next time!
Thanks for asking!

K   ;D

Kay, I'm sure they're much better than you're imagining, you're way too hard on yourself!! 

Keri, you're an amazing woman.  Ice on your eyelashes?  Seriously, I don't think I would've done it.  Good job!!
Anissa

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2010, 03:10:34 pm »

I did a 13 years olds birthday party where they dressed up & had a photo shoot - sounds really fun but I don't think I did very well.  First, remind me to NEVER to do this for my daughters (unless everyone invited is a beauty queen!) - that is just a very awkward age - braces, zits, big lips, not being able to fill out dresses, etc.  Second, they didn't really get into it - a couple did, but as a whole, NO!  And third, & maybe most importantly, they had already set the atrium where we shoot up for an event last night so the main place we usually shoot was covered by a buffet table!  I didn't have hardly any room or places for the pictures!  I had nightmares about it all night and expect the photog that I shot for to call me up & say NO MORE!!  Hopefully she can edit them & make them acceptable!  I guess it will be better next time!
Thanks for asking!

K   ;D

Kay, I'm sure they're much better than you're imagining, you're way too hard on yourself!!  

Keri, you're an amazing woman.  Ice on your eyelashes?  Seriously, I don't think I would've done it.  Good job!!

I am sure everything will come out just fine and you are just being too hard on yourself that is the problem we always think we could have done better and think it is usually worse than it is.

Best Wishes,

Pat
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:05:03 pm by pjb »
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2010, 03:30:14 pm »
Keri ~

Congratulations! Your determination and physical stamina are impressive.  I'm not a runner (even in my younger years) but I admire those AN patients (like you) that push past obstacles (including snow and cold) and finish a run with a decent time. Inspirational is a word you may see applied to you, soon....probably by me.  :)  Well done!

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2010, 05:03:14 pm »
50+ minutes on the Wii Fit Plus today with three different runs totally 16 minutes.  Oooh I feel good :)
Anissa