Author Topic: External Eye Weights  (Read 48874 times)

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
Re: External Eye Weights
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 10:10:28 am »
Kaybo & Mandy,

I should probably continue using the external weight but the constant irritation from the dryness is more than I'm willing to deal with; the eye doesn't close anymore.  Also, my eye lid is badly scarred from the initial procedure to implant a Gold Weight and than from the wound resulting from an extreme Hemorrhage that forced the gold weight through my eye lid two weeks later.  This adds to the difficulty I'm having.  I really can't tell if the eye is producing tears or not; it's taped shut and patched all the time.  

I have RPM and also a prescription antibiotic ointment that I use each time I change the patch, but, can't see well with either in my eye.  Besides, the eye still points up and to the right; pointed right at the bridge of my nose and causes double vision.  We frosted the lens of my new glasses with Shelf Contact paper to help stop the double vision, but I can't go with just a weight on my eye...the slightest bit of air on the eye ball drives the irritation to unbearable levels.  I hope this Botox thing works...I'm really frustrated right now.  The bad news is the Doctor says the cornea is in pretty rough shape now...we really need to get a handle on the situation!

Thanks!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:12:30 am by DoctorB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

mandy721

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 10:16:38 am »
Doc,
My heart goes out to you and I hope and pray that you will find some relief soon.
Mandy
Husband diagnosed 5/30/09 with 3.2cm right AN
Surgery at  Columbia Presbyterian 8/4/09
Platinum eye weight implant - 8/17/09
17 days in hospital and rehab
SSD, facial weakness, some tinnitus, headaches , balance and eye problems

cyrmom2

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 10:20:13 am »
Doc, I am so bummed that the external weight is not working out well.  I'm a Botox fan (3-4 times a year for 3 years prior to my surgery  ;)) so I'm curious how it will work for your eye.  My left eye is still noticeably more open than my right so a Botox induced droop sounds like it could be helpful. Do you think you'll need an external weight to help with blinking (maybe a lighter one)?

I'm back to using my 1 gram Blinkeze just to reduce the frequency and amount of drops I need - down to once a day now!  My eye closes but my blink is a little slow which must be adding to my dry eye issues.
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Doc

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 10:41:49 am »
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'll need to wear my weight to help w/the lid closing after Botox...another question to ask at Monday's appointment.  Which drops should I look for / buy to help keep the eye lubricated? Any advice on which works best / well?

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:43:48 am by DoctorB »
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 01:15:29 pm »
Doc - also talk to your doctor about moisture chamber glasses. They might help. Since you already wear glasses, motorcycle or swim goggles probably would not be appropriate, but www.7eye.com has some styles that can take prescription lenses. Or there are moisture panels that can be affixed to your regular glasses. See http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=10424.0 - I think there is a link to the manufacturer.

Back in the days when I was trying desperately to figure out what to do, I would wear a pirate-patch from the pharmacy over my left eye unless I was going out in public, and sometimes even then. I used lots of Refresh PM as well. It was the only thing I found that kept my eye from feeling like it was being scratched by sandpaper. I did not tape the eye shut because just having it covered by the patch was enough to keep it from drying out.

That seems like such a long time ago now. I'm sorry your experience with an eyelid weight was not the same as mine, because it certainly improved my quality of life.

I hope the Botox works for you. My skepticism stems from a single experience with Botox, to try to stop hemifacial spasm. It was a disaster.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cyrmom2

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 01:28:05 pm »
Hi Doc.

I am allergic/sensitive to the preservatives in eye drops so I use Refresh Plus, Celluvisc (my favorite), and Systane (sp?) all for sensitive eyes.  Before going to bed I use Refresh PM which also works great but you wake up with sticky eye lashes.

Hoping you get relief soon,
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

cindyj

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 03:17:39 pm »
Hey, Doc, sorry to hear the external weight hasn't worked out for you either.  Glad to see, however, that you're getting lots of good advice from those in the know about eye stuff around here.  My eye trouble was, fortunately, only a few months long, but I know it's so irritating and aggravating.  Hope the Botox will finally give you some relief!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Doc

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2009, 10:30:01 am »
Thanks Ladies for all the input and advice.  My next appointment is Monday afternoon...can't wait already to get all these questions you've been feeding me answered.  I'll try those ointments you've suggested.  I have the Refresh PM already and it feels good but obviously doesn't last very long.  Sara, I can also go with just a patch, no taping the eye shut...as long as the eye ball doesn't come in contact with moving air, its fine, but unless the eye is closed, the cornea is still as risk so I continue to tape...

Thanksgiving is coming up...I hope I can add eye relief to the growing list of things I'm thankful for...this forum among them!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

moe

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2009, 01:32:01 pm »
So sorry to hear about your eye woes, DOC.
So much for just like a "trip to the dentist" like I mentioned in a past post :(
You just have fragile eyelids. It'll happen. Just keep your eyes nicely lubed!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:53 pm »
Hi there Doc:   I'm with Kay on this one - after your eyelid heals you should look into possibly getting another weight, maybe a platinum 1.8 gram (chain) put in (if in a few months you need it).
In the meantime,  protecting your cornea is your main concern. 
I have total paralysis in my right eye since 6/2006.  I am constantly putting Refresh PM lubricant in my eye during the day (I have gotten use to the 'blurry vision' - what are you going to do ?).   Every night I put Refresh PM lubricant in my lower lid, then put on the NITEYE Bubble Bandage, then a BreatheRight strip (since my right sinus is also paralzyed, it always feels stuffed, the BreatheRight strip really opens up the sinus).
When I can't 'mesmerize' myself into sleep (b/c 1 eye is always open)  I'll take a Xanax 0.25mg or Trazodone 50 mg.  That happens maybe once a week.

Wishing all the best,    always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Doc

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2009, 09:28:24 am »
Nancy,

I really don't want to go through the whole Weight Implant procedure again.  Besides, the Doctor that performed the first procedure won't do it again because he says the Plavix I must to take for my heart caused the Hemorrhage that forced the weight to break through the eye lid...and that will only happen again. 

Nancy - I've been using Refresh PM all along.  Its plenty soothing but I still have to keep the eye covered; tape and patch.  Like you said, the primary goal is to protect the cornea and I've already been told mine is beginning to look pretty ratty.

No more implant procedures; I'm done with that.  I've got my fingers crossed that the upcoming Botox procedure will do the trick.  The only other option is sewing the eye shut...not gonna happen either.

I already have a pretty rough time sleeping.  I'd hate to think of having to do it with one eye open...yikes!

Thanks Nancy!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

Kaybo

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2009, 09:44:29 am »
I had my eye sewn completely shut for 3 months because my cornea was so incredibly scratched up...actually it was the best as far as I didn't have to do ANYTHING at all for care!  Of course...it was a little funny looking!!  Not too horrible though - I still taught a whole class of 1st graders!  ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2009, 10:37:47 am »
I wondered what caused your problems, Doc. I did not realize that it was due to a hemorrhage. The blood thinners that you take would also explain the impressive bruising you had after your surgery.

I hope Botox helps with your problems.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Doc

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2009, 01:25:59 pm »
Nancy, after I read your post this morning I started thinking a little more about the consequences of allowing my eye to be damaged further. I put the Blinkeze back on, loaded up the eye w/Refresh PM and went to CVS on a mission.  My friendly neighborhood CVS Pharmacist recommended I try using "GenTeal Gel Drops" for Moderate to Severe Dryness.  I bought a bottle and have since loaded my eye up with it.  I haven't had a patch on now for several hours...its bearable and I can feel a slight stinging in the corner of my eye.  

Honestly Nancy, you scared me a bit when you said implant.  Kay, you're a brave lady!  Sara, you talk about bruising, I bleed like an inept prize fighter!  I had a Triple Bypass in April 2008 and than six stents put in afterwards when all three of the Bypass Grafts collapsed all at once...that was cool...I was on a Delta flight to Buffalo when that happen...woohoo...don't you just love business travel...they gave me all the little bags of Peanuts I could eat; even took some home!

Almost forgot...today is my 52nd Birthday but I still feel 51 if you really want to know!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:38:45 pm by DoctorB »

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2009, 03:10:31 pm »
Happy Birthday. Make sure to look at your profile today, they should have served you up a little slice of birthday cake.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09