Author Topic: External Eye Weights  (Read 48923 times)

moe

Re: External Eye Weights
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2009, 10:06:40 am »
Hey, Doc
Sorry that your visit did not go as planned with the BOTOX treatment.
I think you are wise to accept the doctor's advice. Kay had her eye completely sewn shut, I had my eye half stitched shut, so 5mm to me sounds like maybe a 1/4 stitched shut??
Hopefully will be tolerable. Your cornea will thank you! If your cornea goes bad, that's really really bad...... you don't want to deal with the after effects of that
(something about removal of the eye, with eye prosthetic, being the worst case scenario.......)
Let us know how yet another eye procedure goes. And I will not say it's just like a trip to the dentist, because I know better!!!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Doc

• “Shake off the BooHoo and get with the program”
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2009, 10:53:12 am »
Thanks Maureen...I'll be sure to post a progress report after the procedure tomorrow afternoon.  FYI - I just changed Dentists...really!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

P.S.  Truth be known, I'm a big chicken and can't stand going to the Dentist, and more recently, the Eye Doctor!
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

Cheryl C

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2009, 11:31:35 am »
Doc,
I want to wish you a belated Happy Birthday, and also good wishes that you'll have a good result from tomorrow's procedure.  I will add my 2 cents in and say that after fighting over a year to not have my eye sewn and weight implanted, I am so pleased now that I've had it done (2 weeks ago).  I know you can't have the implant, but the few stitches in the corner really make a difference!  Such a relief from eye care ritual at night, too!  I do still use the gel at night, but no covering it.  My biggest problem now is adjusting the eye drops, how much is enough but not too much.  I probably should have had it done long ago. :P 
Get those frozen peas out again ...
~4.5 cm AN
Surgery 9/25/08, Medical City Hospital - Dallas
BAHA installed 1/09
External eye weight 3/09
Platinum eye weight & partial tarsorrhaphy 9/09
Scleral lens 3/14
Tarsorrhaphy reversal 5/14

Doc

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2009, 11:43:41 am »
Hi Cheryl,

Even if the Doctor was willing to attempt a second implant, I wouldn't do it.  I did have a tightening procedure on the outside of the lid at the time of the failed implant; honestly can't tell if that had any effect.  Tomorrows work will be stitching the eye shut along about a 5mm line, off-set from the center...just enough to close the bad eye when I close the good one...but you already read all that.

Glad to hear your implant is working for you.  I sure wish that was my case too; not meant to be I guess.

Take Care and Enjoy the Holiday!
  ;)
Doc
Left-Translab July '09. Cyberknife Jan 2010. In Apr 2017, four more tumors found; three in the brain and one, 7cm long, on my spinal cord; it was surgically removed. It was cancerous, and so are the others. I've been receiving Chemo since June '18, and I'm still in treatment.

cyrmom2

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2009, 09:48:32 pm »
Hang in there Doc!  I really hope your dr visit tomorrow brings your eye some well deserved and long overdue relief.

Best wishes for an easy & enjoyable Thanksgiving,
Cyndi
diagnosed 7-27-09 4 cm CPA
12 hr translab 8-25-09
Dr Chicooca & Dr Welling at OSU/The James
sliver of tumor remains on brain stem
left SSD & facial paralysis (was 6/6, 2-3/6 at 9 weeks, 1/6 within 4 months) 6 month MRI on 3-17-10.

Doc

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2009, 06:12:56 pm »
Blog entry about todays Eye Procedure w/Pictures:  http://www.docbreger.com/Home/Tumor_Talk/Entries/2009/11/25_Third_Surgical_Eye_Procedure.html  Feel free to leave comments on the Blog.  Thanks again for everyone's kind words of advice and concern!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

moe

« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2009, 10:18:08 pm »
Doc,
Was thinking of you today and I just read your blog..Let's keep our fingers crossed......
You're on MY prayer list!
Do you have pain pills? I know tomorrow is Thanksgiving and you want to prepare the feast, but try to delegate... and have a thankful day for
well.....being alive!
Maureen

Doc

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2009, 07:43:43 am »
Hi Maureen,

No, I refused the pain pills, a decision I'm regretting.  I didn't have any issues sleeping. In fact, I slept pretty darn good. I think thats because I knew I didn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to fire up the office like I do most Thursday mornings.  I'll be taking off the bandages tomorrow afternoon and will update my blog with some new pictures and status.

I wish you and yours a happy and healthy Thanksgiving...I put the bird in the oven at 7:00 this morning...tons more to do!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

moe

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2009, 10:35:44 am »
Okay, then.
You go, guy! Extra Strength Tyenol and frozen peas in between basting!
Good luck tomorrow :)
Maureen

Doc

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2009, 06:17:58 pm »
As instructed, I removed the bandage from this weeks eye procedure earlier today. Like the implant surgery, this procedure also left my eye bruised, swollen and still tender to the touch 48 hours later.  I’m going to try the eye shield I was given on Wednesday, to see just how well it works protecting the eye while I sleep. Following Doctor’s orders, I’ve been applying ointment on the wound to head off infection and promote healing. The Sutures are scheduled to come out this coming Wednesday morning during a nine a.m. appointment. I haven’t decided yet how I feel about this latest attempt to save my cornea. I only hope this is the last.

I posted a picture of the eye as it looks today on my blog...following the globe to Tumor Talk and click on Third Surgical Procedure...scroll to the bottom of the page for a look.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc

moe

« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2009, 12:15:18 pm »
Ewwwie,
I saw the photo. Things will calm down. Gotta baby that eye.  And following doctor's orders is good!
 Hopefully this will be the ticket.
Hang in there, think positive! Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving with your boys....
Maureen

Doc

« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
Thanks Maureen...all I can do now is follow Doctor's orders...here it is late Saturday afternoon and the eye is still pretty sore.  I really should have taken the prescription for the pain killers the Doc offered...stupid man tricks, I tell you what!

Anyway, life is good...me and my boys had a great Thanksgiving...they somehow managed to get their girlfriends to do the dishes while we napped waiting on dessert...yummy New York style Cheese Cake...best I've had in a long while.  Hope you enjoyed the holiday too!

Take care!
  ;)
Doc

Doc

« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2009, 10:04:06 am »
I saw the Eye Surgeon again this morning. Last weeks procedure is healing "very nicely" although still very sore.  He has elected to wait until Monday, the 7th of December to remove the stitches rather than this morning as originally planned. So far, having my eye sown shut--half way--seems to be working well.  I can go all day without issue and sleep nicely with the Plastics Shield protecting the wound.  I am applying ointment hourly to be sure is stays plenty moist. Sara had asked why the stitches were being removed.  The answer I got was this is a permanent procedure with no bolsters.  He can / will open the eye back up when normal function returns--notice I said *when* not *if*.  The most encouraging news I got today is he feels now that the Cornea is no longer in immanent danger...that's a real relief!

Updated the blog with a new picture taken a minute ago: http://www.docbreger.com/Home/Tumor_Talk/Entries/2009/11/25_Third_Surgical_Eye_Procedure.html Scroll down to the very bottom to see the pic and latest update.

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:01:09 pm by DoctorB »

moe

« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2009, 10:27:02 am »
Hey Doc,
Sounds like our eyes were about the same in closure.
I hated the feeling post of- I just wanted to rip the eye back open. Very aggravating.
But I got used to it, and used to people looking at me weird too!
Mine was half sewn shut about 4 months.
My cornea was not looking good immediately after my brain surgery, so they actually did a "make shift" eye closure with a cotton wedge and stitches until the Tarssorphy. (sp?) No fun.
Turns out my eye reflexive mechanisms are poor. The oculoplastic surgeon could tell by the exam, and by how my other eye responds and blinks. I don't blink real obvious like some people.
So hopefully this is the ticket. Hang tough.
Gotta go put those  xmas decos up.
We are going to TX in a week for my daughter's grad from College in San Antonio, so  am trying to get xmas ready. (I love stress :o)
Maureen

Doc

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:09 am »
Hey back at you Maureen!

Our eye experiences have been very similar.  While I was still in the hospital, they did one of those partial close procedures with the bolsters on me too.  It lasted about two weeks until the top bolster pulled loose...that hurt.

I think I'm gonna be fine now...time will tell of course, but I'm very determined at this point!

Take care and enjoy your trip to TX...my son graduates in May '10...congratulations on your daughter's accomplishment.  I don't think I'll be doing any decorating this year...might fall off the ladder...yikes!

Take Care!
  ;)
Doc
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:00:18 pm by DoctorB »