Author Topic: Oh Fab it's Translab!  (Read 12171 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Oh Fab it's Translab!
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:54:41 pm »
 ::)...Just got home from seeing Dr McKenna. He confirmed what I had been thinking. Get it out while the getting is good. Next step is to see Dr. Barker....yeah! I get to deal with Milli.... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

sgerrard

Re: Oh Fab it's Translab!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:34:32 pm »
Oh man, that is a development. So you are going to do surgery, it sounds like. Oh well, I guess regrowth happens sometimes. I think I would be tempted to wait just a little more, to see if maybe it is done growing, but your are the one it is happening to, so you and your doctor know more about it.

I hope it all works out well in the end, Bob. Translab on a little 1.2 AN has a good chance of being smooth sailing, so lets hope it goes that way for you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:09:13 pm »
Well, it almost seemed to be heading in this direction after reading your more recent posts.  Personally, I think it's the right path.  Get it out, recover, and move on.  But don't leave us :).

I will say an extra prayer for you, as you surely deserve the best outcome possible.  You inspire us all with your great attitude and strong resolve.  You've done more since your radiation treatment than I have done in my whole lifetime!  I do need to try this stand up paddle boarding though :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:12:46 pm »
Bob -

I'm with Ernie.  My two cents worth says surgery is the right path.  I don't think I'd wait to see if it grows.

I'm all for the get it out, recover, and move on idea.  It's one of the reasons I chose surgery.  I just wanted the AN removed and I just wanted to know what I'd be facing upfront so I could deal with it and start to live my life again.

Good luck,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
I already had thoughts in that direction as you know. Dr McKenna said if it was him he would do the same thing. My AN is intracannicular, starting to enter the cochlear aperture. It in a tight spot so any growth is an issue. He said it is definitely growing so lets get it before it gets any bigger and further complicates things.

I hope to get in to see Dr. Barker ASAP and get on the surgical schedule quickly. I still plan on paddling 28 miles August 15th in the CCBC so I hope to talk to some folks that can talk to some folks that might help get surgery scheduled for mid-June. With a good recovery I might just make it.
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32:26 am »
Bob,

I hope it all goes well for you and they get the bugger out of there. 

Best wishes,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

tsl

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 07:00:10 am »
Hi Bob,
You know that you're in good hands with the McKenna and Barker team.  We saw proof at the brunch.

If you don't mind me asking--With the fact that you had had proton beam radiosurgery--Did Dr. McKenna make any comment about it making the surgery more challenging?  Has he done surgeries in this situation before?

Take care,
Theresa
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:05:34 am by tsl »
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:54 am »
Oh Bob~
I am sorry about this, but glad you are ready, mentally, to get it out - hopefully once & for all!!  You have such an incredible attitude and that will carry you FAR!  You know we will be here every step of the way, cheering you on!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 07:15:21 am »
Bob,

You have such a great attitude that your outcome has to be good.  No doubts about it!  I'm sure you will be paddleboarding away come August!!  Keep us updated.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 07:36:08 am »
Well, your support team is here, 24/7.  If you need me to deal with Mili when you're at the end of your rope, just ask.  She's truly amazing.  It's gotta be a volunteer position.  But seriously, you've got a great surgical team.  Do you have any idea whether or not you've been compensating balance-wise over recent years?  That's the only reason I can imagine that I came out with no balance issues whatsoever.  I don't know why I have no headaches or dizziness, but I plan to ask Barker at my six-week follow-up.  I'm just dumbfounded by my outcome.  I keep expecting something to rear its ugly head.  I was struggling with a 50-pound bag of dog food, getting it from the floor up into my shopping cart, three attempts, and the next day I felt it in my back, and then I remembered I wasn't supposed to lift more than ten pounds for the first two weeks.  I wonder if 50 pounds was supposed to be acceptable at four weeks.  Oops.  Well, my brain hasn't exploded, so I'm hoping I didn't do any damage.  I really feel totally back to normal, just don't look quite right in the face.  I'm hoping a great outcome for you, too.
Keep us posted on the surgery date.  I'm glad the waiting for an answer and decision-making is behind you.
NancyMc
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 11:13:48 am »
Hey, Bob...well, glad you've put the decision to rest, and can now get it out and then move on with your very full life...We fully expect to see some new paddleboarding video before the summer is out and perhaps a carving or two along with it!  You'll do awesome, I know!  You know we're here for you, too.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Greengiant71

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:59 am »
Hi, 

I had a translab on the 28 of April, my tumor was 3-cm big.  I haven't done my follow up MRI just yet but my tumor was completely removed from what my surgeon told me.  I fortunately didn't have any facial issues nor balance issues.  I was up and walking 3 days after surgery..  dizziness was about all I have to deal with right now but that to is slowly going away.   ;D   Anyhow best of luck to you and your surgery.. We'll be routing for ya!   ;)
PFC Green Cliff 2-25 AVN  DVN

Diagnosed:  Jan 2009 , Translab surgery 28 Apr 09.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »
Bob:

I want to offer you my congratulations on coming to a decision, which is always difficult, especially when dealing with a re-growth.  Apparently doctors McKenna and Barker are the 'A team' in your area so I have confidence you're in very good hands. With these AN-experienced doctors, your good health and an ultra- positive attitude, I think this will go quite well for you.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22:08 pm »
Theresa...he did say there is a possibility of it being stickier but said it just takes longer. We discussed the possibility of it being necessary to leave a sheath around the facial nerve to preserve it if necessary. Hopefully if that is necessary it will still kill the little bugger by getting the blood supply.

Nancy...I did name drop with McKenna and told him how highly he comes recommended. I mentioned your concern for your facial nerve and he was convinced that its temporary. He said that the fact you had full function during surgery makes for a great prognosis. That whenever it happens that facial function diminishes after it almost always (99%) comes back fully.
You'll get a kick about my first Milli experience. The number MCKenna gave me...neurosurgery at MGH..they put me through to Dr. Barkers office. Milli answers the phone..."Hello?" it sounded like she was surprised to get a phone call.....no "Dr. Barkers office can i help you?"...just a very unprofessional quizzical hello. i thought i had been transferred to the kitchen or something for a second and had to ask if this was Dr. Barkers office....then she sounded perturbed like...of course it is...who did you think you called? At least after that she was reasonably helpful and got me a quick appointment where someone had concelled.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts all. i'm not concerned about this really. Just want to get it done. i'm actually more concerned for Suzanne and my girls...I know they are worried. I'm encouraging Sue to logon here and get to know what to expect a bit before the day comes. She'll of course keep you informed and I'll be looking for you folks to hold her hand. Thanks so much for being here.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 03:40:25 am »
Better make nice with Mili.  She pulls the strings, well, she pulls them if you demand it, but she can also ruin your day, so don't get her all "perturbed".
Suzanne is a sweetie-pie, we'll be happy to hold her hand.  How about a picture of your girls?
I may be hallucinating, but I do believe my facial movement is improving dramatically.  I'll get a photo one day for comparison.
When do you see Barker?
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness