Author Topic: Oh Fab it's Translab!  (Read 12170 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Oh Fab it's Translab!
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 06:26:15 am »
I'm encouraging Sue to logon here and get to know what to expect a bit before the day comes. She'll of course keep you informed and I'll be looking for you folks to hold her hand.

Bob -

this is a great idea.

The day of surgery is often harder on those waiting than on those going through the procedure.  And post op, caretakers need just as much support at the "ANers".

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 06:31:17 am »
Bob,

wishes of wellness as you go into surgery.  I know this has been very difficult for you but have faith that this is all going to work out just fine! :) Hang in there and you know that I'm cheering you on....  :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 06:58:22 am »
Better make nice with Mili.  She pulls the strings, well, she pulls them if you demand it, but she can also ruin your day, so don't get her all "perturbed".
Suzanne is a sweetie-pie, we'll be happy to hold her hand.  How about a picture of your girls?
I may be hallucinating, but I do believe my facial movement is improving dramatically.  I'll get a photo one day for comparison.
When do you see Barker?

I actually was very nice with Mili. I think thats why i got the early appointment... ;D

Thanks..I know she will seem like a rock on the outside that day but she'll be a wreck inside. Photos of the girls...and more...in the photos of friends thread.. http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=8049.msg91374#msg91374

That's great to hear Nancy! I see Barker on the 18th. I'm hoping to get some favors asked to get a quick surgery date.

Jan...yeah...I'll be sleeping... ;D Did you get my PM about Chicago paddleboarding?

Phyl...this has certainly been a surprising turn of events for a guy that came to the forum a few months ago to let folks know the therapeutic power of standup paddlesurfing.

Speaking of which...surfs up....I'm outta here...later friends.. :D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 07:01:48 am »
Bob -

I did get your PM.  Just responded a few minutes ago, as a matter of fact.

Thanks  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 08:14:37 am »
Oh, yes, I remember your beautiful girls. 
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 08:25:18 am »
Hi Bob,
I think you'll do great. I think your paddle surfing has been and will continue to be therapeutic and helpful in spite of your having to have surgery now.
I hope you can get it scheduled so you can do your surfing in August!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Seal

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 03:11:18 pm »
Hi Bob,

Congratulations on the decision.    If I recall, you are already having some balance issues, and i bet you are similar to me in that the brain is already compensating for the loss of balance.     I was sitting up in the ICU the next morning, and by that afternoon, they had me walking the hallway.   I could tell early on that my balance was already getting better.    The only slower issue has been the eye movement thing, but I need to get better with the vestibular excercises.      If you are interested, I will also be at Barker's office on the 18th for the follow up.    If I can add anything or provide some insight, let me know.     I am sure that you are going to do very very well with surgery and the post-op recovery.    You will love it when you have this all in your rearview mirror!     I know that I am !!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Keri

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 06:51:34 pm »
Great pictures. I had forgotten about this thread. It's nice to see who people are and families, etc. Maybe one of these days I'll post something.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

tsl

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 11:56:02 am »
Hi Bob,
Best wishes for an early appt.  Maybe you'll get this over and done with in time for the October brunch!

You have a beautiful family.  Don't worry.  The group here will "circle the wagons" to get you and your family thru this.

Take care,
Theresa
(tsl)
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

NancyMc

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »
Bob,
I just remembered that one of the very few discharge instructions that I received was no swimming or taking baths for six weeks (when I see Barker).  You must have a dry suit that you could wear for practice.  ?
Nancy

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 03:30:12 pm »
Theresa...I plan to paddle across Cape Cod Bay August 15th, I'd better be ready for the brunch.... ;D. Thanks for the kind words. I'm am blessed with an great family and friends.

Nancy...I plan to do a lot of dry land training as soon as my head allows. I have a balance disc and and I've made a wall mounted training device to simulate paddling. I'll start out with light weights. I also have a treadmill and a total gym which i really like. If everything goes according to my plan...2 weeks of nothing but a little walking...focusing on eating right and healing, 2-4 weeks of indoor training starting out very light/short and steadily increasing to a hopefully somewhat vigorous workout. 5-6 weeks back on the water for two weeks of hard training before August 15th. It's going to be tough but I really want to do this for myself and to show these kids that will be watching that you can get through this kind of stuff.

Besides...I need to get back in shape for fall surf season.... ;)
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

catlover

• 13 days post-op. I still have my smile!
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »
Congrats Bob,

I also think it is the right thing to do. Hope everything will work out fine. I'm about to get my surgery date tomorrow  :o It will be soon, in week 21 or 22!!
I have been waiting for this, but now as it's becoming reality, I'm very scared!!

Best wishes from Helene
AN found in February, 2006, size 0,8 cm
Surgery 20th May, 2009, retrosigmoid approach
SSD and balance issues
Forever grateful to Dr Siesjo and Dr Kahlon, University Hospital of Lund, Sweden
Two AN:s found 1st March, 2016
Waiting for GK

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 08:22:26 pm »
Off to see Dr Barker tomorrow at MGH. Hopefully I'll also get a surgery date tomorrow. Fingers crossed for early June.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 09:44:37 pm »
Good luck, Bob  ;D

NancyMc

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2009, 06:14:51 am »
Good luck today, Bob.  I see him on Thursday for six-week follow-up.  I think Steve (Seal) is in there today also.  Look for a fisherman type.
You should be meeting with Mili after Barker steps out.  She will ask you when you want to have surgery.  See if you can get her to call Helen in McKenna's office while you are there to schedule your surgery.  Remember, she is challenged by follow-through.
Keep us posted.
Nancy