Author Topic: Oh Fab it's Translab!  (Read 12169 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Oh Fab it's Translab!
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 08:02:35 pm »
I saw Dr Barker today. A somewhat frustrating day. He said he thinks I'm nuts if I think I'll be able to participate in the CCBC on August 15th even with a early June surgery date. We'll see. McKenna didn't express that so strongly. I still don't have the exact date yet. Mili promised me tomorrow. Other than that no surprises. Signed the initial papers.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 05:46:07 am »
Bob -

I'm not a doctor, and I'm sure there are things about your "situation" that I don't know, but everyone recovers differently.  I personally think if you have surgery in June, and don't run into complications, like a CSF leak or something - you should be able to participate in the CCBC in August.

A positive attitude goes a long way in recovery; you've got my vote.  Don't get discouraged.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 07:43:49 am »
Hi Bob,
So you'd have about 2 1/2 months to recover? Like Jan said, seems do-able barring anything bad. I would think the fatigue issue might be the worst part of it... but at the same time you'd be all psyched up, and that would certainly help. Plus, you're staying in such great shape right up until surgery... that makes a huge difference too.  How long does it take you to do the CCBC? In runner's terms, is it like doing a marathon, or a half, or something horrid like a 50 mile run?

(nancy... from your post i get this mental picture of seal walking the great corridors of MGH with rain slicks and boots on, carrying a fishing pole).

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 08:07:39 am »
Thanks Jan...Yeah...I still think its doable. I'm sure it won't be easy but that will just make it all the more satisfying.

Keri...it took us 7 hours last year. Definitely tiring but nowhere's near the difficulty of a marathon. It's not a race. The group of us sticks together and go at a steady pace. If I had to compare the effort to a run I'd say its slightly more difficult than a half-marathon. I was tired but not dead at the end of last years paddle and went surfing the next day for 3 hours.

Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

moe

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 09:49:24 am »
Bob,
Just reading about your upcoming surgery.
I had translab and had no balance issues post op because the other side had compensated. Mine was same location as yours. (but also much bigger >:()
You are in great shape and your work is amazing!
As far as the paddling thing- keep postitive thoughts, but be realistic in how you are feeling at the time.
The body is very sensitive to changes after brain surgery!
It IS harder for the family, I believe with the stress of the surgery.
We'll be there for your family too. :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

allegro17

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 04:00:39 pm »
Hi Bob,

In true AN - spirit: I am so sorry to hear that you have to have surgery, but glad you have decided and are getting it done with! 

I think you know my story about the Ironman I am registered for in August, and my worries with AN surgery, recovery, and fitness loss.  I still havent gotten back to "training" at 3 weeks post-op, but I was able to go to the gym a bit this week and have to say was happily surprised that doing cardio not only felt more comfortable than I thought, but also seems to be improving extremely quickly.  I still don't know what I will be capable of in terms of the race, but am hopeful at this point.  My biggest concern was fatigue, but my energy came back quickly after 2 weeks.  My 2 cents: take it easy until you feel really ready, your body will dictate rest for you and welcome it.  I predict you'll find it will be easier than the doctors think to get back into activity and your race.

Good luck,

Laura

sgerrard

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2009, 10:44:14 pm »
If it is remotely possible, I have a feeling Bob will find a way to paddle. :)

Laura, I'm glad to hear you are doing better now. I am predicting you will run in August as well.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2009, 11:36:09 pm »
I got the date for surgery today June 26th...yuck. They said they'll try to move it up but I'm sure its not high on their priority list. That would leave me just 6 weeks of recovery time. ... >:(

Thanks you Maureen...I'm more worried about Sue and my girls than I am for myself. I feel like sending the 3 of them to a spa for the day while I have surgery. Something to try and take their minds off it.

Laura...so glad to hear from you. Great to hear its going well. We'll be cheering for you.
My biggest concern is the fatigue issue. I'm also not as young as you so i don't expect my recovery will be as quick. I am going to be pushing things to the max right up until surgery since I figure my body will have some recovery time for a couple of weeks at least before I can do anything. I have a treadmill, a total gym, and a Wii fit that will allow me to start off slowly in the house. I'm going to be cautious. No sense in doing damage.

LOL....Steve has me pegged...outwardly optimistic...if I can I will...still a little nervous though.

Seal

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2009, 08:36:07 am »
Hi Bob,

Well we may have passed each other in the hallway on Monday at MGH, but I didn't see anyone with a paddle in their hands! ;D    I'm sorry to hear that you have to go the route of surgery, but you will feel great to have it behind you after your June date.    To give you some info, I am now five weeks post surgery, and this is the first week that I am really starting to feel normal again.     Eventhough I also worked hard staying in shape on the stationary bike prior to surgery, the real issue is the fatigue.   This week is going to be my first attempt at some light work outs on the bike and distance walking.  I am sure that I could have started earlier, but frankly I just didn't feel like it.    My concern was more about giving my body the rest it needed to recover well rather than trying to push the envelope.     You'll understand when you get there.     

Good luck on the surgery, and keep working out right up the the surgery date.    I am sure that this had alot to do with my quick release and healthy recovery post-surgery.

Steve   
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

elliemae

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 11:54:56 am »
Hi, Bob
Finally getting caught up with my all my forum reading after a work-imposed time-out!! 

Sorry you have to have the surgery, but I am sure you'll do well, and hope you can make your CBCC in August.  But do take care of yourself!!  That's the most important challenge!

I am also a proton-grad, but much more recent than you.  Like Theresa/Tsl, I will surely be waiting to hear how "sticky" that AN got after your earlier radiation treatment.

Best of luck!
Elaine

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 09:56:17 am »
Hi Steve,

I was hoping we'd meet in the waiting room or something. I was a little early for my appointment but had a meeting scheduled at Christopher's Haven (charity of my CCBC paddle) after.
We'll see how things go....hopefuly I bounce back quickly.

Elliemae...I'll be sure post how sticky this was/is.

tsl

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 10:09:10 am »
Hi Bob,
Good that you've got your surgery date.  I've marked June 26 on my calendar.  You are doing all the right things in preparation and have a good attitude.  A strong sense of determination, solid physical shape along with your family and the support group on this site are all HUGE pluses.  The fact that you are "a little nervous" makes you very human. 

Please keep in touch.

Take care,
Theresa (tsl)
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

Vivian B.

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 11:28:09 am »
Hi Bob,

Just wanted to wish you best of luck on your upcoming surgery. You will do fine like all the others.
Keep us posted.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.