Author Topic: Am I losing my mind or what?  (Read 25231 times)

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Am I losing my mind or what?
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2009, 08:39:10 pm »
I cannot find it either and I know this article has been referenced before, but it does explain very well the connection of the brain with regards to balance issues and memory.  Here it is again:  http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:04 am »
Cheri .....

When I first read that article I was so relieved that there was an explanation for my short term memory lapses.  I really had convinced myself I was either aging very rapidly or had sudden onset of Alzheimer's.  Now I have relaxed and the short term lapses seem to be less now than before.

Glad I posted the link again!   :)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2009, 08:25:21 am »
I cannot find it either and I know this article has been referenced before, but it does explain very well the connection of the brain with regards to balance issues and memory.  Here it is again:  http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

Clarice

This is an awesome link which explains the relationship between balance and many side effects such as blurred vision etc.

Thanks for posting it.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2009, 03:10:44 pm »
Clarice ~

This may explain why I tire more easily than I used to, which I just assumed was an 'aging issue'.   The linked article on our vestibular system by Dr. Neil Bauman was concise and very informative.   Thanks.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2009, 03:53:28 pm »
no, you are not losing your mind!!!!  for me, it is spelling - for the life of me, i could not spell simple words and these are words i use all the time. it is annoying and i had to retrain my thought process and if i get tired of trying, thank god for mircosoft word spelling checker!

the brain is such an amazing organ, hang in there and oh.... get those colorful and fun sizes post-it notes - these will definitely bring a smile to anyone  ;D
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

Kaybo

« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2009, 03:56:55 pm »
Cheri~
This is exactly how 2 totally different (in 2 different towns) explained it to me all those years ago. They both asked me if I was just exhausted at night because my body is working double time all day - too bad its not my metabolism working double time!!  LOL!  They told me to always schedule important things earlier in the day when I am still fresh and not overly tired!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

epodjn

« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2009, 10:38:03 am »
Thanks for sending the link. That explains a lot of my problems. I was just thinking it was all in mind or something. I have the strangest feeling of surrealness, (is that a word?) Like I'm in a fog sometimes. And the whole nighttime balance thing, oh boy, what a joke. I went to the grocery store last night. When I left it was daylight, when I came out it was dark. You would have gotten a good laugh watching me trying to carry my groceries, which threw me off balance anyway, in the dark. I'm sure my neighbors must have thought I was drunk.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

JudyT

« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2009, 11:56:16 am »
I found the link very informative.......Being out of whack in the dark is very unpleasant and often scarry. I lose my balance very easily. I leave small lights on throughout the house at night to guide me. Carrying groceries is next to impossible. What one would call "normal" activities are next to impossible for me. VERY frustrating.
Judy

epodjn

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2009, 12:08:37 pm »
That must be extremely frustrating. I can still do most simple tasks, but it takes extra effort and that explained why. It seems like everything takes extra effort and wears me out. But I am grateful I can do it, with effort. I admire you for being able to do what you do.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Joey

• Change could be right around the corner.
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2009, 02:40:47 pm »
 :o  I saw this thread and just had to chime in; altho I'm one of the GK-ers.  The balance in the dark thing is one of my most noticeable problems; I have to walk my dogs nightly and it sure is a challenge to stay upright.  I can ride a bike in daylight and not have any problems, but put me outside after dark and I must look like a raging drunk.  I am thinking about investing in a WII Fit (OK, that looks funny, I mean a WEE!)  to try to tame some of my balance issues.  Would anyone know of anything else that would be helpful??  I was amazed that the bike thing went so well.

I also occasionally substitute strange words for what I mean to say; today I referred to my knitting needles as drumsticks.   

Have a good weekend ~ Joey
Left sided AN.  GK over and done with at Mayo Clinic on
10-2-08; according to Dr. Link, AN measured 15 mm in greatest posterior fossa diameter; used 11 isocenters of radiation to cover tumor volume of 2.3 cm3.  Follow up on 4-14-09 indicated necrosis, no change in tumor size and less hearing, darn

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2009, 02:46:19 pm »
The balance in the dark thing is one of my most noticeable problems; I have to walk my dogs nightly and it sure is a challenge to stay upright. 

Joey, I'm with you on this one... I have to walk my dog at night, flashlight in hand and lordy help me when I have to bend over (put my head down) to "scoop her business" (if you catch my drift).

I know there has been talk on these forums in the past about balance issues and darkness... maybe start a new thread in the "Balance" forum on it? I know many here run into this issue and maybe we can centralize that conversation ..... I'd like to be in on that one as well.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"