Author Topic: Am I losing my mind or what?  (Read 25291 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Am I losing my mind or what?
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2009, 08:30:28 pm »
My biggest problem is trying to pay attention to what I'm doing at the moment, particularly when I'm trying to work in my studio on a painting---I get so distracted.  A painting that used to take 10 days now takes a month or more, not just due to the headaches brought about by stress but by the fact that I just can't concentrate!  Now this could be a problem created by my meds as well, mind you, and I'm, as I write, decreasing my dosage of both my Topamax and Neurontin to try to get some mental clarity.  It's hard enough keeping my balance in front of a large canvas while turning my head from the palette to computer screen to the canvas.

No Marci, you are not losing your mind! Your brain now just has a mind of its own!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Melissa778

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 12:45:54 pm »
I also seem to have trouble paying attention and I lose my train of thought often.  I'll go to write a note to myself, get side tracked and completely forget to write myself a note.  I use my cell phone alot for reminders as well as software at work.  My husband tells me they took the tumor out but left alot fo air behind.....apparently he is amused by my forgetfulness. :)

I'm sure there was more I wnated to say, but right now it's not coming to me.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

cin605

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2009, 01:20:32 pm »
lol..today i am talking on the phone to sis about memory loss & went to empty bathroom garbadge in a bag put the phone on the bathroom floor walked away put garbadge away & remebered she was on the line. ::)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Kaybo

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2009, 01:22:08 pm »
Go ahead Lori and tell them what you have nicknamed me...maybe it has something to do with the memory issues!! 

Cin605~
That is a HOOT!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 03:16:14 pm »
Well, Kay, I would, but I can't remember..... :D  Oh, wait, was it Blondie??   ;)

CIN - I hope your sister is forgetful too - maybe she forgot she was on the other end of the phone...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 06:15:13 pm »
Lori~
I was really referring to the Tasmanian Devil - was that because I move from thing to thing with speed & energy or because I jump around from topic to topic??  ???  I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with the devil part...

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cin605

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 09:11:14 am »
My sis was still on the same subject when i picked up the phone???i don't think i missed much...
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

GeorgiaMei

« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2009, 07:21:31 pm »
I was so interested to find this thread.  I really thought this was just me!  I also feel "ditzy" a lot and forget mundane things I've always known (directions, numbers, etc.)  I also have a harder time following stories and conversations, often having to ask questions during a movie b/c I don't get it.  I was hoping it was at least partially related to the number of meds I have been on since surgery, but I'm not sure.

Also, I find myself having emotional lability sometimes. I won't even feel it coming and all of the sudden I will be tearing up in weird situations.  For example, when I get my blood drawn.  One second I'll be fine and the next I'm about to cry!  It's totally unlike me: I was a very stable person before surgery.  And it's causing me a lot of stress and embarrassment.  Has anyone else experienced this? 
3.3cm x 2.6cm : Translab resect 3/08
Post-op epilepsy , multiple clots in brain sinuses
Chronic H/A, Facial paralysis, Imbalance, Vertigo
CN VIII removed-deaf in R ear
Received amazing care from Drs. Roberson and Colen at CEI/Stanford (www.californiaearinstitute.com)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »
Oh, don't even ask about the emotional part!  I figure it's the part of the recovery and will give it time to improve but I am definitely on a roller coaster most of the time.  I won't even notice menopause.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

MAlegant

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 05:21:11 am »
Cheri,
My post-it notes now have their own post-it notes.  It's really quite out of control.   ;D
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Esperanza

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 04:01:12 pm »
Haven't had mine out yet but I get wonky headed issues that I probably had a while leading up to diagnosis.. my husband decided
they got it wrong and the tumour is actually my brain and the rest is the tumour - good job I thought it was funny too... ;D
Profoundly deaf suddenly on AN side with vertigo January 3rd 2008.
12mm left side AN diagnosed 20th Jan. 2008.  MRI  in July shows no growth. What do I do now?????

mlouise073

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 05:04:17 pm »
great subject...I have had short term memory problems since my surgery two years ago, struggle with simple words sometimes coming to my mind, and I seem very emotional as well and can come to tears at the drop of a pin these days. definantly can't handle stress like I used to.  I just attribute it to the surgey. 
Mary
8mm by 13mm located in left cerebellopontine angle extending into internal auditory canal growing toward brainstem. Surgery in March 07 with Dr. David M. Kaylie at Baptist Hospital in Nashville

Tamara

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2009, 05:24:09 am »
Now this could be a problem created by my meds as well, mind you, and I'm, as I write, decreasing my dosage of both my Topamax and Neurontin to try to get some mental clarity. 

Sorry to be so late to this thread.  Just wondered how the decrease was going.  Topomax is commonly used for seizure control - my daughter took it for a short time but was very dulled by it - not a good thing because she is severely cognitively disabled to start with.  A parent's group I'm in refers to it as "Dopomax".

Best wishes,
Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Susan L

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2009, 07:29:26 pm »
 I was so relieved to read about others memory loss.  I am 3 years post op and am beginning (have been) to worry that I might have the beginning of Alzheimers or dementia.  I am 52 but I was fine before surgery.  After surgery I noticed a vast difference in my memory.  I was always good with numbers, names, details…not now.  When I do get stressed or tired it gets worse but then so does my balance.  Right away I noticed that it just seemed too difficult to think – if I stop and try real hard I can sometimes remember.  It is like I have a block on my AN side and can’t get past it.  That feeling could also be because of the deafness on my rt side.  I work in a school and have down time in the summer.  I got pretty depressed over the memory loss last summer.  I am almost done with this school year and I have been thinking I needed to research the issue more.  When I asked the doctor at my 1 year check-up he told me that I am getting older, I told him there was a marked difference after surgery.  He did say something to the effect that my mind is having to concentrate on balance.  Thank you for sharing.

MAlegant

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2009, 07:46:54 pm »
There's a great thread on here (maybe someone can find it-I couldn't) about how hard your brain has to work to help your balance.  The memory problems are real and when they appear after surgery it's either cause/effect, or coincidence.  Either way it's a problem for me.  Am dealing with it though.