Author Topic: Am I losing my mind or what?  (Read 25293 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Am I losing my mind or what?
« on: March 14, 2009, 03:46:49 pm »
Hi all,
I'm mostly doing fine, dealing with issues, but making it work.  The one thing that is driving me crazy is my short-term memory.  I find myself in the middle of a conversation caught in the realization that I no longer know what the topic is.  It's pretty scary.  I can usually get back on track but this never happened to me before surgery, and yes, I know I'm middle-aged, but this is only post surgery.   I lost my keys before surgery, but not anything more than that.  If I'm watching a movie or something on tv and my husband comes into the room and asks what he's missed I can't tell him!  I am hanging in at work but stressed so much that I will forget something really important, that I'm sure it's making matters worse.  What to do?  Is it something I just have to live with?
Thanks,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Am I losing my mind or what?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:15:34 pm »
Hi Marci, 

I have the same thing, but I'm getting use to it.  I'll be 3 years post op June 16, 2009.
My supervisor is great, he helps me with administrative things I have to do
in our computer system, etc;   I just tell people, " I'm sorry but I don't remember your name",
& that's it.   
Since I try to live my life in the present, I don't think about it much,  when I do I know it was
due to a shifting of my right medial temporal lobe.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:28:51 pm »
Hi Marci and Nancy .....

I, too, thought dementia had set in for sure following my AN surgery ..... until I read the wonderful article that someone found (did not take time to look for which thread it is on).  It is http://www.hearinglosshelp.com/articles/balancesystem.htm

Under Other Symptoms of Vestibular Damage, in part it says:  "Unlikely as it seems, vestibular damage can cause memory problems. Here is why. When you damage your vestibular system, keeping your balance is now largely a conscious effort, not the automatic effortless procedure it once was. Consequently, those areas of your brain that you once just used for thought and memory, now must constantly work on keeping you balanced. As a result, your memory may suffer. You may grope for words when talking. You may easily forget what is being spoken about during a conversation. You may be easily distracted. You may have difficulty comprehending directions or instructions. You may have trouble concentrating and may feel disoriented at times."

I am relieved to now have a reason for saying, "What did you just say?"  Hope this helps.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

cin605

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »
I thought it was just me! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Sonja

• Calendar
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:30:36 pm »
Marci:

I would not take it for granted that your short-term memory loss is from the AN surgery. It may be stress. Your body may be more sensitive to stress than pre-op. STress is very powerful and can make a non-ANer lose there short-term memory. Also, the thought of the AN surgery affecting your memory is stress in and of itself. Maybe you can try meditating or other ways to help relieve some of the stress. I know we can not live stress free (most of us anyway) but we can learn to manage it.

You are NOT losing your mind. I pray that this will pass.

Take care,
Sonja
Symptoms 2005
AN diagnosed January 2007
Watch & Wait until now
Surgery (Translab) scheduled February 18, 2009 HEI (Dr. House, Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Stefan)
No servicable hearing in affected ear

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:54:13 pm »
Marci -

I'm with Sonja.  It may be stress - or dare I say it? - it might be age.  Not that you're ancient or anything - just that as I've gotten older I've noticed that my memory isn't what it used to be.  I hate to think I'm in that boat alone.  Anyone else with me?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:43:05 pm »
Invest in some post-it notes.   :D  They work like a charm - and I have so many of them all over my house, it cuts down on the sticky handprints all over the walls and fridge.  And I'm pretty sure it's keeping the 3M company in business!

I like to think my forgetfulness is helping boost the economy.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 07:46:45 pm »
Marci,

I had an excellent memory pre-op, especially with numbers.  If I dialed a phone number once, it would stay in my memory,my friends and family used to laught and call me a walking rollodex.  If anyone needed a phone number, I was the first one they would come to.   had no problem remembering complex material almost word for word,etc..  While my memory is still pretty good it is not as sharp as it once was.  Could it be age, maybe in part, but I noticed a marked change post-op.   This actually began about two months prior to my surgery and I thought it might just be stress.  I still find myself searching for simple words sometimes am foregetful more often than ever before and definitely have some short term memory problems although I seem to remember things I read better than movies, TV shows or conversations, but then, I think most people do.  So could it be from the surgery, maybe, could it be age maybe.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 08:50:22 pm »
Thanks all.  No matter what the explanation, I guess I'm stuck with it.  Maybe I'll just forget about it, ;)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 09:25:32 pm »
I'm not sure you are totally stuck with it. You may not get back to pre-treatment level, but I think you can retrain your brain to remember more things. Play bridge or something, an activity where short term memory plays a role. Practice may not make perfect, but it can improve things some. I am doing better cognitively than I was a year ago. The brain is very adaptable, or plastic as they now like to say, and I think it can learn new ways to get things done.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

moe

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:51:06 pm »
There are those memory tapes/cd's too, if you have time. But that immediate short term memory loss is sooooo frustrating.
I find myself sometimes asking the same question in the same conversation. And I have to write everything down as it is said, if it is important.
Keep truckn, keep movn.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 11:22:09 pm »
What was the question again?  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

han nah

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 04:31:30 am »
Hi Marci
This topic you have raised is very interesting.
On my first visit to my Doctor prior to my diagnosis one of my complaints was I was losing my short term memory - I could not remember anything, especially at work and work related stuff - that was a real worry for me considering I was only 24 at the time. I really noticed it that much that I was asking people at work if they noticed my memory lost, one person did say they had noticed it. Since the surgery I still suffer with my short term memory loss, I never knew that it was related to the tumour - I feel heaps better now knowing that it is related.
Thanks for raising the topic
Hannah
26 years old
from South Australia
2.5cm AN right hand side
Diagnosed Aug 06
Trans lab surgery took place 20th March 2007
Complete right side paralysis and completely deaf in right ear
Gold weight in right eye lid
Plastic surgery was 23rd May 07

tenai98

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 02:12:48 pm »
I tried the sticky note thingy...but alot of times when I went to write down what I wanted to remember...well I forgot..My short term memory has been affected greatly as well....Something I guess I will have to learn to live with. 
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

cin605

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 03:18:38 pm »
Thanks all.  No matter what the explanation, I guess I'm stuck with it.  Maybe I'll just forget about it, ;)
   You wil forget about it, if while you are forgetting about it some thing else comes up you forgot about. ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old