Author Topic: Am I losing my mind or what?  (Read 25295 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Am I losing my mind or what?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 05:29:17 pm »
Hello Clarice (kinda spooky since 'Silence of the Lambs', huh ?):

I know that I have to concentrate more on my balance since AN surgery,  but I still believe shifting my brain/medial temporal lobe also has something to do with my memory issues. 

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2009, 05:49:27 pm »
Nancy .....

I get the "Silence of the Lambs" reaction frequently  :-[ until the unknowing find out my name is pronounced like it rhymes with terrace or Paris.   :-*

Interesting thought about the memory being related to the brain being shifted.  On my first retrosigmoid surgery 15 years ago on the right side (when I was much younger .... ahem!) I did not notice the memory issues.  However, I went back to teaching school full-time 6 weeks after that one and working with junior high gifted students kept me quite stimulated and could have accounted for some of it.

The AN surgery on the left was a different ball-game, with significantly more balance issues resulting for me.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 01:17:44 pm »
My big problem is remembering people's names. I take up the collection for Lotto tickets. As I'm writing down who's participating and how much they are contributing, I have to ask people's names. These are people I see every day. Now that's frustrating.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cin605

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 02:04:47 pm »
My problem is words directions & what iam doing at the moment ..#s i can not recall.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 02:23:42 pm »
I've had short term memory problems for a few years now and I'm almost happy its because of the AN, I seriously thought having children was to blame.  Well, it could still partly be...ha ha.  Anyway, I also can't remember people's names at all and I've noticed a couple times when telling my husband about something I'd get to a part where I'd say "and then he picked up the..um...you know, that thing that you hold in your hand and it changes the channels on the TV!".  Its so frustrating when a word just goes away!  That happens a lot.  Or I'll just randomly forget the PIN to my debit card for an hour.  I'm a real case.  :( 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Cheryl R

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 02:55:13 pm »
I have always wondered but never asked my dr if left sided ANs cause more cognitive issues than right.      My first 3 surgeries were on the right and the last one which I just realized was 11 mos ago today was on the left and my memory problems have been worse since this last time.   It is so maddening when some easy word is just blank.      Anyone I am around much knows possibly why in my case.                  Just one more AN annoyance!
                                                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 05:16:23 pm »
I have always wondered but never asked my dr if left sided ANs cause more cognitive issues than right. 

That's a good theory, but if it's true, I'm an exception to the rule (or maybe I'm just special)  ;)

I work with numbers for a living and have no memory issues along those lines since my AN surgery.  I'm also very good at names and always have been.  The biggest problem I have post op is mixing up words.  My mind thinks one thing, but my mouth says another.  It's almost like my mouth just can't keep up with my brain  :P 

There is usually some connection between the wrong word (the one I say) and the right one (the one I meant to say).  I've found that if I'm thinking about or looking at an object and talking about something completely different, the object I am thinking about or looking at is the one I say.  For instance, if I'm looking at or thinking about a bird but discussing a car, I'll say "bird". 

Strange  ::)  Gets me weird looks from the person I'm conversing with too!  :o

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cin605

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 06:30:22 pm »
I can see where your bird stalling would get you a look! ;D
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 09:05:49 pm »
I can see where your bird stalling would get you a look! ;D

LOL.  I've also mentioned to my kids that I'm going to "get the bird washed" and "pull the bird into the garage". 

Sometimes they think I've lost my mind in addition to half of my hearing  :D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 09:26:17 pm »
Jan~
I do that EXACT thing - it was the worst when I still taught and I would be thinking or had last talked to "Aubrey" who was the perfect little student but then instead of saying, "Darius! sit down & stop talking!" I would say, "Aubrey! sit down & stop talking!"  Poor Aubrey!  I get left & right mixed up and yesterday & tomorrow and also have trouble thinking of words.  People that I am with all the time help me out.  I don't let it bother me...that's just how I am now!  At least I am here...

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Patti

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2009, 06:33:37 am »
i do remember (ha ha) that when i had neuropsychological testing that my reading comprehension was "superior" while almost everything else was "borderline".  the doctor said that it is because you can control the speed of information uptake when you read but not in other situations.  i was told i had slow processing, but not with reading.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

salamander

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2009, 08:54:27 am »
I have had some problems with phone numbers.  I went to a doctor appointment one day and saw that I had previously written my home phone number totally wrong.  Not even close. Not even a different known phone number.  Just random numbers.  I also left a message for someone one day and couldn't remember my home phone number. 

I do also lose my train of thought frequently.  My daughters have just looked at me in shock.  It is usually when I am interrupted (like a waitress wanting to take my order) and then I totally lose what we were discussing.  Even after trying to think for a minute, it is just gone.  When reminded of the topic, then it all comes right back. Wierd new normal we live. . .

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

Catflower

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2009, 11:55:15 am »
I'm almost 2 years post of and also have memory problems.  I compensate by writings lots of notes and never leave home without my PDA which I now refer to as my brain ;D.  The thing that bothers me most is the sensory overload I get when I'm trying to shop.  I also have this problem when I'm in a situation where there are a lot of people talking.  It just gets to the point where I have to leave if possible.  I've become quite a hermit because I function best within in the confines of my home.

Linda in WV

Mickey

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 06:58:35 pm »
Hi everyone!  I was just wondering on alot of things also being age related? As we get older alot of things happen with our memories, bodies, eyesight, hearing, coordination, and probably alot of other stuff. Just try to put it all into prospective and do all we can to live with whatever the best we can. In any case we are al l together in this journey and its great to confide in each other and mabey even come up with ideas and solutions. Mickey

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 07:03:53 pm »
You know, Mickey, that was my first suggestion - back on page 1 I think.

IMO age - and stress - definitely play a part in memory issues; and Lord knows both apply to me  :)

Jan