Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37105 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 12:34:46 pm »
JB,
Congrats on getting through this.  So happy to hear things went well.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 02:02:14 pm »
From one to JB to another - best wishes for a speedy recovery Joe!  ;D

Many thanks to Sue and Aimee for the updates; keep 'em coming.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

suboo73

Re: Joebloggs Update - More good News!
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2009, 08:10:35 am »
Hi Aimee. I just wanted to write a quick note and tell you i am thinking of you and JB.

I admit - i am alittle nervous since i haven't heard any recent updates regarding her progress.... I apologize - i am a mom and i have to worry!

Here is what Aimee wrote to me this morning....good news all around!
-----------------------------
Hi Sue

I'm so sorry for the belated response, I've been conscious of my silence and hoping that it wasn't stressing you out!  The truth is that I've been schlepping around Melbourne, staying with various friends, and there seemed to be no internet access in the hospital, so I just couldn't get online easily. It's been a mad week:I only flew in from London last Monday night, JB's final pre-op appointments started at 9am the next morning, and she was in for surgery at 6am the morning after that, so I got off the plane and pretty much lived at the hospital after that!  I thought it would be easier to get to my email, but the logistics were pretty tricky all round.

However, you'll be glad to learn that JB is still doing very well and was discharged this morning.  It was a bit touch-and-go there, we weren't sure the physio was going to let her go because she (physio) was not entirely happy about JB's balance and mobility, but then the all clear was given and JB left the Neurosurgery ward for freedom in the outside world!  She is now recuperating with lovely friends - an old college buddy and her husband - in Melbourne; she'll have her staples out on Friday and then has to see one of her consultants 2-3 weeks after that.

I hope this puts your mind - and the minds of all on the thread - at ease.  JB doesn't have internet access right now (her hosts have just moved in to their new house), and I'm guessing that looking at a screen might be a bit iffy while she still feels some nausea, but I'll pass on anything important.  She is being taken care of and everything is on track.  Plus it's her birthday on Thursday, so another reason to fuss over her!

Apols again for the silence, thank you for your concern and care!
Aimee

P.S.  The 'first three days don't count' thing was great for JB - and the rest of us - to remember. I was pretty shocked by how her condition for the first little while, but she has sparked up amazingly since then.  It was good to try to remember that the improvement would actually happen after the initial days had passed...  Sure enough, that's just what happened.
-----------------------------
THANKS FOR THE WONDERFUL NEWS, AIMEE!  OUR BEST TO JB!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JB!
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2009, 08:19:48 am »
I, for one, was stressed out, so you should have heard the gasp when I saw the JoeBloggs update.
Thank you for the great news!
Happy Birthday, JB!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 08:49:42 am »
I too was beginning to wonder about our JB down under. I'm glad to hear she is out of the hospital and recuperating with friends. Thanks for the update.

Happy Birthday JB!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 09:10:10 am »
Yep, great to hear that JB is out of the hospital and the recovery has begun! 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 09:36:35 am »
I, too, was wondering and glad to hear the good news!  Keep resting JB and listen to your body!!  Happy Birthday on Thursday!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 09:42:09 am »
Grats to JB's continued recovery and escape from the hospital!  Here's to continued healing and a super recovery at home <cheers>.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

wendysig

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 10:03:49 am »
Sue and Aimee
Thanks for hte update on JB.  I'm glad to hear she is out of hospital and doing well.  Balance issues are a common thing and  hopefully they will not give her too much trouble.  Wishing her a speedy, uneventful recovery.

Sending healing vibes her way,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 10:30:06 am »
So glad to hear things are progressing as they should ! !

JB:   remember to REST - REST - REST ! !   Just walking a little each day , taking naps & eating are your duties for the next 2 weeks,  then you can start cooking, etc, etc.,
(If you get headaches post op, take the pain medicine/Tylenol Extra Strength at the 1st sign of it starting.   Mine lasted at least 2 weeks round the clock & then some !, then slowly lessened up).
Continued healing my friend,  Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 03:34:55 pm »
Jo/Aimee ~

Thanks for the update!  Like everyone else, I'm so pleased to learn that our Aussie friend is out of hospital and recuperating nicely.  Her surgery experience sounds eerily familiar; a PT nurse being skeptical about my ability to navigate without risk but an eventual release - and freedom!  I immediately headed to a nearby restaurant (my wife drove) and devoured a stack of delicious pancakes as my reward for being released just 120 hours (5 days) after my AN removal surgery, which was quite successful, just as Jo's seems to be.  I enjoyed a relatively speedy and complete recovery and I trust that Jo will have an identical or even better recovery experience.  :)

Sue:  thanks so much for being the messenger.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:03:51 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 03:47:54 pm »
Excellent news, I'm so glad for an update!  Get lots of rest JB, and best wishes as you recover.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 07:24:04 pm »
Great news! Thanks for the update! I somehow missed this and was a little worried.

A couple of belated birthday presents for JB... ;D You'll be back on a board in no time.

Guethary, France...note the lone standup paddlesurfer
http://www.standupzone.com/SettingFull.JPG

Same place another magic day....for when she has internet access.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCXjnGXp14

I dream of making a trip there someday after seeing this video and picture.....maybe a AN balance therapy trip...get all the AN paddleboarders there... ;D

Get well,
Bob

« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:34:09 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2009, 06:36:03 am »
I've been watching and waiting for this update too. So glad to hear she is doing better, and best wishes for a continued speedy recovery.

Happy Birthday JB!!

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

lori67

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2009, 07:03:49 pm »
Great news!  Thanks Aimee via Sue!

I'll bet JB will perk up much more since she's out of the hospital and will do just fine!  Tell her to have a happy birthday and to enjoy as much cake as she wants - she deserves it!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.