Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37217 times)

joebloggs

Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 04:53:11 am »
Hola my beloveds! 

I am back!  It is 8 days since my surgery.  I feel fantastic considering.  I have been looked after here in Melbourne by my amazing friends Sarah and Alastair and they have just been fabulous - as was my lovely friend Aimee who has been keeping you updated!  The good news is the surgery was pretty quick, 6 hours, my facial nerve is perfect, my face is just as it was when I went in (I definitely won't say perfect!) - but even more so... the numbness I had for months before surgery has gone, I have feeling back on my eye, it's just amazing.  I couldn't have hoped for the operation to have gone any better than it did... textbook!  My balance is interesting - I haven't fallen yet and don't intend on it and I'm walking by myself.  I still need a little help in the shower and Sarah is coping with that without being too embarrassed! Other than that I'm rocking it!  Haven't tried knitting just yet, and definitely haven't tried paddleboarding, but I'll get there!  Hospital was an experience - the nursing staff were amazing, doctors amazing, kleptomaniac room mate not so fun - long story! 

It's been my birthday today so I've had all sorts of visitors and we had cake and booze-free fun!  Pretty tired now though so think I'll potter off to bed - my staples come out tomorrow morning bright and early so I don't want to look to dazed and confused tomorrow or they might re-admit me!  Will post some pics of my miraculous (although not Ernie-like!) recovery soon!

xxxx
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:43:29 pm by joebloggs »
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 05:25:20 am »
yaaaay!  ;D
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 06:14:50 am »
Wow JB, sounds like you're doing great!  I still have my "off" times when I'm not feeling like myself.  Happy Birthday and continued rapid healing!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 06:39:58 am »
This is great! I hope your recovery continues as smoothly.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 09:16:47 am »
JB~
GREAT to hear from YOU!  Aimee did an awesome job of keeping us updated, but there is just something about that 1st post from the "postie"!!  Sounds like you are well on your way to an incredible recovery.  So glad that your facial nerve is working and that you don't have any eye issues.  Remember to rest and that if you do have a bad day every once in a while, it is OK!!  Listen to your body!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 09:31:02 am »
Postie JB. Has a nice ring to it. Welcome back. Excellent results on the facial nerve, glad to hear that. Take the next few weeks gently, give yourself a chance to recover. There will be time for paddleboarding later. You made it!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 10:01:05 am »
Nice to heard from ya JB! Continued well wishes upon your recovery and hope the merry-go-round slows down a bit for ya soon--it will, just be a bit patient.  If you try a bit of baby shampoo in the shower you can keep your eyes open and that helps a little. We're thinking of ya!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

cindyj

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 10:19:53 am »
Hey, JB, you postie!  Great to hear from you, and you do sound great!  Keep up the good recovery.  Yes, do rest up a bit for now, but we'll be looking for your new paddling pictures before too long :D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 10:25:31 am »
Yay JB, well done!  I'm glad to hear things went well and I'm interested to know more about the kleptomaniac room mate, ha ha.  Congrats on your "postie" status, I'm anxious to be there myself.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 02:32:09 pm »
Yea!  Welcome back and welcome to Postieland!  It's a great place to be!  You sound like you far ahead of par for the course..  Continued healing!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 03:31:41 pm »
JB ~

Welcome back!  We've missed your sassy attitude.  I knew you'd do well with your surgery and you exceeded my expectations, young lady.  Well done!  Now, get some rest.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 04:16:49 pm »
JB!! Welcome to postie-land.  You sound great and I'm so happy it turned out well for you.  Now all you have to do is take it easy and recover.  And do remember to tell us the roommate story.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 04:47:27 pm »

Glad to have you join the ranks as a postie!  It sounds like you came through with flying colors.  Hope you continue to bounce back.  Your attitude is terrific!  I had a birthday during my recovery, too.  I thought I would be depressed at my advanced age, but I was so grateful for all my blessings that I forgot to feel sorry for myself.  That's how a brain tumor rearranges your priorities. :D

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 05:09:06 pm »
JB -

nice to have you back!  Remember everyone recovers at their own pace; no competitions here. 

That said, it sounds like you're doing great  :)

It was very nice of Aimee to keep us updated; you know how we worry.

JB 2
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:43 pm »
Great news JB...glad to hear it went so well. Take your time getting back on a board, the water isn't going anywhere. You should join the seabreeze forum down there in Oz or standupzone. Lots of great pics, vids and stories to follow to keep you entertained. Lots of how-to as well for when you do get back on the water....wait until you catch your 1st wave...then the hook will really be set.

Glad to have you back and hear you're doing so well.

Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org