Author Topic: Joebloggs Update  (Read 37230 times)

joebloggs

Re: Joebloggs Update
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 11:04:33 pm »
Thanks for all the love everyone, I feel it even from here!  Still going well, staples out today... weird experience!  Didn't hurt, just kind of weird!  Didn't need the stitches removed from my tummy - they were dissolvable stitches - ta da!  I need to go back to the hospital on Monday just for them to have a last look at the head to make sure all is well... then... well... then I can wash my hair!  Thank God! 

Stoneaxe - I think I will take my time... might try paddling on my knees first!  I'm pretty dodgy walking so I think paddling would be a whole 'nother ball game right now!  I'm a member of stand up paddlers forum (http://standuppaddlers.ning.com/group/suptasmania ) down here, but have had a wee look at stand up zone and seabreeze.

MsMaggie - I had the best birthday ever, I was so grateful and I got about a million presents more than usual!!! How funny!  Nothing like a brain tumour to get people spending eh?!  I'm so lucky and fortunate. 

I'm going to attach some pics (apologies for the giganticness of them) - I'm sure you can guess which ones are which - 6am at the hospital morning of the op with my friend Aimee (she looks a lot more frightened than I do!  I look super happy!), 4 days afterwards (my head isn't as fat and swollen as it was to start with.. didn't put that photo up - didn't want to scare anyone!!! Having said that, please excuse the crazy hair!) and yesterday at my party with my giant cake Aimee had delivered (and yes, it tasted as amazing as it looked!).  I truly am blessed, I'm really really fortunate to be following the road to recovery that I am, having said that, I like to think no matter what path I am following I'd be kicking some serious butt along the way!!

Right... klepto room mate.  This is a good story.  So I come out of the high dependency unit (which I think is probably a fancy name for recovery or ICU or something) the day after my surgery and I'm in the normal ward with one room mate, Rosa.  Lovely lady, about 55 with a penchant for turning her tv on full blast at 11.30pm.  The day after this I think one of the nurses asked if I wanted to have a shower... so I gave it a go (not realising actually, this being the first time I got out of bed, I was not going to be feeling great!) and was promptly quite ill in the bathroom.  So I got back in bed, sans shower unfortunately but feeling a bit better.  My friend Aimee came in to see me about 11am and I said can you please grab my dressing gown I left it in the bathroom when I was ill.  So she has a look... no dressing gown.  Mmm.  I said well, the nurses probably just gathered up all the towels and everything I left there thinking it's all white and belongs to the hospital and stuck it in the wash.  So Aimee's going about looking for it and no one knows where it is.  So then she walks back in, and whispers to me, "does it have a hood?", yes it does I say, at which point, there's little Rosa toddling off past the front of my bed to the bathroom in my gown!!!!  I sprang up and just pointed with my jaw on the floor!  When she came back Aimee promptly stole my gown back to which Rosa was very apologetic saying she hadn't realised it was mine.  Right... so we're having lunch and a cup of tea and I say, you know what that's so weird actually because yesterday, even though I was practically asleep all day and out of it, I'm sure there was a wall clock in here and this morning there wasn't.  So Aimee says Oh my God, yesterday Rosa was having a conversation with a nurse about the clock and how nice it was (it was an ordinary, plain, boring, hospital wall clock) and asking where she could get one!  So now we've established that she's stolen the robe and the clock.  Then... she asks us if I have a spare knife from my lunch or a nail file - so I say no sorry.  Next thing we know after dinner, once she does have a knife, she's unscrewing things from the wall, she has shoved three boxes of surgical glove in her bag and has nabbed a massive industrial sized bottle of hand sanitizer from the top of the cupboard!  What a trooper!

On Saturday my friend came to visit with her little 3 month baby and the Lovely Rosa asked if she could hold him to which my friend said, umm, I guess so (I'd already declined the holding offer as I could barely hold myself up straight, let alone a baby!).  At that point Aimee said you know what Rosa, I don't know that that's such a great idea, you know, you're in here having tests on your brain blah blah blah... so luckily she got out of it.  Who knows, maybe the baby would have ended up in her bags too!  Poor love, I think she was on a good cocktail of drugs including anti-psychotics so it's not her fault... having said that I still slept with one eye opened the whole time she was next to me!

Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

suboo73

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 05:06:32 am »
Hi JB!  So HAPPY to see your posts again, welcome back!
All that worry i had -for 'naught' as they say, you look fantastic!
It is great to see your pic with Aimee.  Please give her my best and thanks, again, for sending us updates when you could not.

I love the klepto story --  OMGosh what a roommate!

Please take it easy and spend time with Aimee while she is visiting. It must be very special for you to have such great friends nearby.

All my best!  Please keep in touch.
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 06:59:51 am »
JB!  You look great in those pictures!  I bet you don't miss the huge dressing on your head, I know I don't!  Talk about uncomfortably tight!  Mine had slid down and was across the top of my eyelid.

I love the roommate story!  I bet you are right, that meds had something to do with it, but still, they should keep those people isolated! :)  Good thing they don't allow valuables in the hospital, at least here they don't.

I can completely relate to not wanting to hold a baby.  If I were sitting I'd be ok, but I'm still very light headed and wobbly while moving around.

Keep those updates and stories coming!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

cindyj

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 08:17:13 am »
Great pics, JB!  Wow, you looked really, really good in the hospital!  Tough having a roommate while in the hospital, but especially one like that!  Does make a good story for you to tell for years to come, though :D

So glad you're doing so well - yes, the wobbles will get better!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Kaybo

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 08:25:51 am »
JB~
I LOVED the roomie story and you are a GREAT storyteller!  The 1 time I had a roomie was after my 7/12 and I only WISH she would have been a klepto!!  At least I only was there one night!!

I had surgery right before Christmas - I guess it was good in that I got a LOT of presents that year, but I was so out of it that I don't really remember it.  You would think I had double vision because many of the things, I received twice!  I am VERY (even more so now) careful about asking for different things from different people so I won't get two but I guess Dave heard what I had asked my mom or his mom for - he went & bought them too!  Crazy! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:24 am »
Wow you look great!!! and what an attitude  ;)  Love it girl  :-*

All the best in the next few months and here's to a full recovery.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

moe

« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 10:14:26 am »
JB,
Reading all the posts. Congratulations on a successful surgery. What a relief to be done and over with and BTW you are the most beautiful post op AN pic I've ever seen. Love that smile :)
Pace yourself, listen to your body....rest frequently.....naps.......ZZZZzzzzzzz........your body will need time to rejuvenate.
But I gather you are younger than most here and that says a lot on speed of recovery, wouldn't you think?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 12:11:00 pm »
Looking good JB. Very funny story on the roomie.

The internet makes this such a small world JB. I was one of Sue Sheards early members. In fact it was a discussion with Sue that finally prompted me to post here on the ANA forum

http://standuppaddlers.ning.com/profile/BobBabcock
http://standuppaddlers.ning.com/profiles/blogs/dealer-alert-weird-newby

The forums are a great place for learning and sharing info and the excitement. Lots of great videos and pictures. Another great spot is my brothers online mag http://www.kenalu.com/ and my friend Evan's http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/ if you prefer hardcopy a great photo mag is http://www.standupjournal.com/ all good stuff to look at while you recuperate.

take care

Bob

Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:38 pm »
JB you look great, and you're right, Aimee looks somewhat frightened while you look like you've won the lottery.  And the roommate story is a keeper.  Rest well.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2009, 10:00:25 pm »
JB - 
You look awesome!  Even in the picture with the wild hair and the bandage!   ;D

I loved the room mate story!  Always good to have a little comic relief while in the hospital!  I wonder how she'll get the hospital bed out the door when it's time to go home!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2009, 10:43:20 pm »
Which one is the crazy hair picture?  ;D

You look unnaturally happy to be having surgery in the pre-op picture, and remarkably well recovered in the post-op birthday picture. You did have surgery, didn't you?

Take care and take it easy.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2009, 11:03:18 pm »
Thanks for all the love everyone - have had a minor setback - last night my eye stopped closing by itself - bummer!  Ah well.  Had to go to the hospital today anyway to get my wound checked so mentioned it to the nurse and then had all the neuro's all over me testing this that and the other.  Appears only to be the eye and so I've been given some steroids to calm down swelling around the nerve and some tummy medicine (not sure why?! maybe the steroids make your tummy sore?) and some eye drops and I have to tape my eye closed at night.  Whoop whoop!  Had a feeling the miraculous recovery would have to come off the rails somewhere.  Sure it will be temporary... cross fingers!

JB
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12:36 am »
JB, sorry to hear about the eye, hopefully its just a temporary thing and the steroids can get it back on track.  Thanks for keeping us posted, i like reading your updates and seeing pictures, you look great for such a recent surgery!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2009, 06:47:33 am »
JB - I had one night of facial weakness several days after surgery.  It scared me to death!  I noticed a numbness as I got up to use the bathroom, so turned to the mirror and smiled.   :o  I was freaked out! 

For me, it only lasted that one night.  I got up the next morning and the numbness was gone.  I attributed it to swelling and maybe the way I slept on it that night.  I will pray that your eye issues resolve quickly and you have no further complications.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2009, 06:53:15 am »
Ernie,
That's a relief for those of us about to embark on this journey.
Thank you.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness