Author Topic: Tattoo  (Read 18139 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Tattoo
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2009, 10:42:58 am »
Thanks Rivergirl,  It wasn't as painful as I thought... then again I had three babies!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2009, 10:55:31 am »
Thanks Rivergirl,  It wasn't as painful as I thought... then again I had three babies!
Michelle  ;D

should be a breeze for me ... I have kids ;D
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2009, 04:09:34 pm »
My tattoo is tiny compared to Michelle's, so it probably doesn't compare, but it wasn't painful at all.

Kind of felt like someone scratching me.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2009, 06:19:30 pm »
For me it kind of felt like someone scratching a sun burn. Annoying but tolerable.
Still freaks me out to look in the mirror.
I went for my monthly massage and forgot to tell my massage therapist ahead of time... surprise!
Michelle  :o
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

aj44

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 08:37:51 am »
How long after your surgery did you all get your tattoo's?
4 to 5cm AN removed on December 2009

Soundy

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »
on some other thread in this place I posted about getting my tattoo... I got it last year on July 2 ...my second year anniversary ...got my avatar picture and my daughter is thrilled ...

oldest is designing something that has been changed a million times and she wants put on me this year on my anniversary ... she wants a chain or barb wire bracelet with hearts for each child , then one for her dad and one for my ex husband since according to her , without him she would have no big brothers ... I decided his would be purple and off the chain since he fell out of my life and made me feel like I had been wounded in action and then added a white heart also off the chain but in palm of my hand for the baby boy I lost in 1979

this is close up of my tattoo ...I think the guy did a good job and my youngest blushed as she watch him do it and when we left said he was cute ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2010, 10:34:34 pm »
I got my tattoo (date of my AN surgery on the shoulder of my "AN" side) about a year after my surgery. 

Although it's not large, I had to think a long time about getting one.  At the age of 46 it wasn't something to take lightly and I worried about being a bad example for my children.  To this day my mother is still shocked that I have one  :D

I've been intending to get an additional tattoo (date of my BAHA surgery) for a few months now, but haven't had the time.

Am still planning on it though.

Yes, I'm certain my mother will be appalled  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2010, 10:41:28 pm »
Cool tatto, Soundy
Just like the pic.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

C Bourne

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2010, 10:46:04 pm »
Good to see there's a thread for this - love to see everyone's ideas!  I just (today!) finished 5 weeks of Radiation on my AN, and I have the appointment for my AN tattoo scheduled for next week.  I already have 6 tattoos (over the last 11 years), and have been wanting to get a music inspired one for quite a while (I'm a classical pianist) but couldn't decide what I wanted.  After being diagnosed with AN, and the resultant hearing problems, it really impacted my ability to both play and listen to music.  I decided to combine my music interest and my AN reminder.  The tattoo will be a treble clef (all black) 1 inch tall on my neck just below my left ear.  It symbolizes my love for music, celebrates the end of my radiation, and is a reminder to my spouse which is my deaf side...  :)   I'll post a picture after it's done.

-Cyndi-
Jun '09 - Left AN diagnosed 14mm
May '10 - FSR via Novalis (25 sessions) Foothills Hospital, Calgary. Deemed successful!
Aug '13 - facial pain - diagnosed w/ Trigeminal Neuralgia caused by AN crushing Tri nerve
Oct 26/15 - Retrosigmoid surgery - partial AN removal. Facial impact hoping short-term.

Soundy

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:56 am »
I was 47 and a half when I got mine ...thought about it for a year before getting up last July 2 and saying to my girls let‘s go get this done ...then about 30 minutes after getting it wanted another ...

Hannah thinks too much sometimes ... I like her idea and my adjustments to it ...she also wants to put a character that she draws named Weirdo ...just his head , as a center charm ... he kinda looks like a capital G ... some how he blew his part head off ... but in a good way ...hard to explain that part

Weirdo came about when Hannah was being sexually harassed at school by a group of boys ... ... due to them only being in 4th through 6th grade little was done aside from putting them in lunch detention and telling the m to stop ... before we knew why she was pulling hair out , a 4th grader  had been popping her on the behind and told her to take a joy ride on his lap ... she was in 5th grade at the time and started pulling her hair instead of telling  since teachers are constantly complaining to the kids about tattling ... she was pulling bald spots on her head to deal with it and hated going to school ...

after we found out from a boy who told his mom what the others were doing , we talked to Hannah and had our doctor talk to her  and she got a few some tips from her big brothers that were not necessarily Mom approved … she quit pulling her hair out and started drawing Weirdo comics ...

the boys who were bothering her have been ran over by trucks , drop from airplanes on pointy mountain tops , ate by lions , stretched til they are just sticks ...you name it and she has done it to them in form of the comic ... the comic kinda disturbed me at first , but the doctor said it was a healthy way she came up with to deal with things ...

after one of the boys popped her behind she whirled on him and told him that her brothers had told her how to knee him where it hurts and repeat as often as necessary ... and that when she was taken to the principal for hurting him that she was cool with it because he had no right to touch her and she had a right to protect herself ...also told him that her mom approved ...that part was about half true ... she needs to know she can defend herself but I don't approve of hitting ... but the threat was made last fall and they all quit ...I think word spread that Hannah was gonna hurt them if they bothered or touched her again …the school nurse heard her make the threat and called me cheering Hannah on …

I talked to the principal and she told me that if Hannah hit any of the boys ,  she would be force to put her in detention or suspend her … but she  would also deal with the boys more strongly …the boys are all in SPED (special Ed) and are not punished like kids not in SPED… none are severely learning disable but get extra help in reading and math … part of the Tennessee interpretation of no child left behind allows them to get away with things they shouldn’t… you can’t punish a child that knows no better the way you would a child in all regular classes  …kind like the loop hole that has them at special Olympics racing against kids with crutches and wheel chairs … 2 are on school basket ball team and on plays foot ball … not kids that Special Olympics was intended for , but they go  …

hopefully this coming year will be better … she has put up with this mess from Spring of 2007 until fall 2009 … time to be 100% clear of it

All that said just to say that Weirdo can find a place in my next tattoo … he represents to me that Hannah is strong … and no one except us will know that the G with an eye is anything other than just that … and may be getting it at the end of the week if things go as planned …

Hannah has 2 years to go before heading off to high school … hope she keeps the strength and voice that Weirdo has given her … it scares me to even think about sending her to our over crowded high school …
Translab July 2 ,2007

Keri

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2010, 01:05:04 pm »
wow, soundi, what a story. i hope hannah continues to deal with all of this in a constructive way.

cyndi - i'm into music too. i like your treble clef idea!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2010, 11:02:09 am »
Hannah's tattoo design is officially on my wrist ... her Weirdo character's head is off set a bit from center of my wrist and where the bracelet goes around to inside of wrist it is not perfectly straight because life ain't perfect ... my kid thinks too much ... when the man was placing stencil he followed her directions ...when he colored in her light purple heart he said "your mom must love you to let you design this and then actually put it on he arm ...Hannah who is not a crier and rarely shows emotion got teary ... then got goofy to hide the tears ...

the white heart for the baby is light blue and is up on arm above the bracelet ...was told white might not last and also that tattoos on palms often fade out so it is baby blue and floating up above the bracelet ... purple heart for ex is down on back of my hand ... thought of not including it but did and glad ... me and Hannah know what the disconnected purple heart is for ...others will have to wonder ... the tattoo man was asking what each heart meant ... he said when someone says they have to have an exact number of something and in specific colors he knows it's for something ... when I was telling him about the hearts and left the purple one and the light blue one out , he looked at me and said it is a pain or a loss or both ... I just smiled and left it at that ... no one but me knows what the baby blue heart is for... when I lost him at 6 months into pregnancy ,  ex said we didn't really need another baby and others said there would be others ... lost him July 1 1979 and still miss him

when it is healed I will post a picture ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Cheryl R

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2010, 11:57:20 am »
Soundy, can't wait to see the latest tattoo and sounds very speciial!                 I am also sorry to hear of the loss of a baby.    It is something a mother does not forget.        I lost one at only maybe 6-7 weeks and one always wonders what they would have looked like.     Mine was getting pregnant with an IUD in.   It would be so much harder at the stage you were in.    A big hug to you!                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2010, 01:28:04 pm »
Soundy ~

Although I remain ambivalent about tattoos (I don't have one) I do have to admire your motivations to have your tattoos as well as the thought (between you and your daughter) that went into them..  Now, I'm looking forward to seeing a photo of your tattoo because I appreciate creativity and respect the sentiments that are expressed in the 'body art' you now proudly wear.  My condolences on the loss of your baby, so long ago.  Ironically, in the same year my son was born (9/2/79) demonstrating ( I suppose) that the circle of life is infinite.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:03 am »
I would never have thought that I would have a tattoo and now have two ...

both fairly plain and simple ... and both mean something ... other than the son who brought me a key , the girls and Bo no one knows about it yet ... gonna catch flack and don't care but don't want to hear it ... the whole first week of July is always hard for me ... then I move on ... the twins birthday is July 11th and that helps ... sometimes I think I was given two to make up for the one taken ...the circle of life going on  ... but it doesn't work that way ...this time next year or anytime I wonder about Brandon , the tiny baby I loved and lost I can put my finger on that heart and connect ...dumb sounding I guess but that is where my emotions are running right now ... I often wonder who he would look like ... tall and dark like his dad and the twins ... shorter and red headed like my oldest son ... or somewhere in between like my youngest son ... would he like sports , none of the others do ... would he breeze through school like the oldest and youngest did or struggle like the twins had to ... list goes on ... he has always been with me but this is a visual reminder that no one but me knows...

the whole design that Hannah came up with is healing for her and she knows that when I see it I will think of her ... and Weirdo character that saved her sanity when she was not getting help at the school level when she really needed it , connects us because I get it and stood by her ...it is a remembrance of my family and healing  for both of us ...the thing with making it not perfectly lined up because life is not perfect hurts because she has learned too soon that the world can be cruel ... but it shows me she is strong and can deal with things when she thinks she has no where else to turn ... better than knocking them in the head for real with whatever is handy as was done by some other girls being harassed ...
Translab July 2 ,2007