Author Topic: Tattoo  (Read 18083 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Tattoo
« on: March 07, 2009, 08:52:32 pm »
This is a tattoo that my daughter got when I was diagnosed. No one has a tattoo in our family so it was a bit of a shock.  :o :o :o It did make me feel special!

I have made a consultation (yikes) to discuss my survivor tattoo....still can't believe that I am doing this. I'll let you know how it goes. I am thinking of an angel wing with the word believe in it, on my left (tumour side) shoulder blade. NOT as big as my daughter's tattoo.
Michelle  :o

Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

lori67

Re: Tattoo
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »
Michelle,

What a sweet daughter you have!  And smart too - you can't yell at her for getting a tattoo when it's in your honor!!   ;)

Can't wait to hear how yours goes.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MKLady

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 09:17:11 pm »
Oh Michelle, 

If you get a survivor tatoo you've got to post it on here for us.  You may start a trend.  Your daughter's tatoo is great.

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 09:17:30 pm »
Michelle~
That is really special - and quite large!  I think you will be happier with one a bit smaller... ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 12:56:22 am »
Wow!  That is no small tattoo  :o 

I got inked myself with the date of my AN surgery http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6704.0

I've given some thought recently to having my BAHA date added, but I kind of feel like if I have my implant date added I'd have to add the date I got to start wearing my processor also - and I'm not sure I'm ready for three dates on my arm.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 07:29:15 am »
Oh come on, Jan, you could be like Angelina Jolie...doesn't she have the locations of all her kids tattooed on her?  I guess that is getting quite lengthy! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:26:21 am »
Really Michelle?  You're going to get a tattoo? Please be sure to post a picture, maybe you'll start a fad, though it sounds as if many have already done it. 
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 10:21:10 am »
I have been thinking since before surgery of getting the "Headache " picture my then 5 year old drew
of me when I had a headache (my avatar)...it was so prophetic of the AN since she drew it before AN was
discovered ... and also a purple butterfly for lupus ... both would have to be small ... but location and pain
bother me ...

if I got them I would want them to be seen but I am a cover-up girl ... and well I just don't like needles that
much .... maybe one on each upper arm...or side by side on one arm tangled in a web... I got diagnosis of both
the same week in October 2004...lupus on Monday ... AN on Thursday ...it was bad week for me

most of my Friends would be totally shocked and my mom would flip her lid ... it may be worth it just for that  ;D
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Greg M

• Not all who wander are lost...
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 11:20:36 am »
I love the tattoo, it's not so big. What a honor! I was thinking I have been wanting a couple more tattoo's, if I have surgery I want my tattoo artist to tattoo me while i'm under! When I wake I could have some nice art to look at!!! That would be cool!!!
diagnosed 1-9-09 1.3cm LF side AN
some tinnitus, high frequency hearing loss
GK 6-17-09 @ GK center of Portland
Dr.Bader & Dr.Wayson
Time will tell......

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:48:19 pm »
Michelle ~

As I stated to Jan when she got her tattoo last year, I'm basically ambivalent regarding tattoos (on men or women) and don't have one - but I do have to admit to admiring your daughter's tattoo (thanks for the photo).  It's quite attractive and the message is certainly touching as it relates to you in such a loving, positive way. 

The decision is yours, of course, but based on the beautiful tattoo your daughter now has, I kind of hope you do take the plunge and get a 'survivor' tattoo for yourself, whatever the size. 

Jim
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 09:30:46 am by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:25:40 pm »
Thanks Lori, Mklady, Cheri and Marci (I see you are a hero member - I just can't keep up...hehe). K I would NEVER get one that big, smaller is good for me. Jan I saw yours it is very nice... I guess if you wanted to add a tail to the 7 you still could. Soundy I love your idea... do it!!! Greg wasn't there a dr who applied a stuck on tattoo during some surgeries and got into trouble for putting it close to a woman's privates? Thanks Jim... yes it is quite an honour!
Hugs to you all.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 08:53:41 pm »
(I see you are a hero member - I just can't keep up...hehe).

Only 50 to go, Michelle - believe and it will happen!  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 11:31:06 pm »
As a creative type -- what incredible art work!  As a dad -- what an incredible message from a child!  Wow!
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 06:09:43 am »
Now, that's some love from a daughter!  You're a lucky one...in many ways!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 11:40:39 am »
Michelle,

You are so blessed to have such a wonderful daughter! Her tat is stunning and you must be proud... rightfully so! Thanks for sharing this....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"