Author Topic: Tattoo  (Read 18086 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Tattoo
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:53:09 pm »
my 11 year old says I need to let her draw a skull for me to put with the headache picture
the now 9 year old drew ... she said it would be cute not scary ... now what's the use
of getting a skull put on your body forever if it ain't scary?

Let me know when you get tattooed Michelle ... I have got to see one more AN inspired tattoo
before I take the plunge or stick or poke ...oh you know what I mean...also need time to find a place ...
have seen a couple in Huntsville that look down right scary and not places I want to go into...may
ask people I see around here that have them..

husband thinks I am crazy and said he wouldn't spot me the money... I hold in my possession the money
for his 42 inch TV that is suppose to go into the living room as soon as the ceiling is done ...  ;D ...
he may get a 32 inch screen instead ...also thought of stealing it to go toward BAHA  ;)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

lori67

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 09:08:25 am »
Soundy,

If your husband is like mine and he's doing your ceiling himself, you've got plenty of time to spend the money for the tv and save up enough to buy a new one.  Or a new house that already has a big tv in it.   :D

And i think it's a requirement for tattoo places to look scary.  I've never seen one that looked much like a day spa.  Although, there's another money making idea.... ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:05:44 pm »
scary don't bother me too much but the place we passed the other day was a bad scary...

there is a place in Fayetteville in Lincoln county TN that has a sign out front Body Shop and Tattoos...
now that is a new kind of scary  ... guy buffing and sanding ...puts down sander and tattoos someone ...
maybe I could get him  to fill the hole in my head with bondo   ;D

I already have him taking off next week...I went and got the tongue and groove and the paint and nails ...
and bandaides...also two small hammers for us to use ... 1/4 wood and 1-1/4 inch nails and 22oz framing
hammers don't mix... I already stained trim pieces...that way we can just fit them ,nail them up then
touch up... and there is no taping off that way ...if he doesn't get it done in the two days he is taking
off I will get it done with help from my jobless son

I worked the book fair today at school...a Ripley's book there  has alot of really weird tattos... I told a friend
I was going to get one and her eyes popped out of her head ... then another parent working pulls her pant
leg up and shows us a peacock that has it's head on outside of her leg just under her knee and the body
wrapped around her leg with tail dragging and a few eye on the tail showing ... it was well done ...she said
it took 2 sessions to finish...if I get one it has to be done in one session or it would be like my sons half
finished Goko or Gohan (Yugio character or something ) that he had started but never finished ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 12:11:28 pm »
Went for my tattoo consultation today ... he (a nice, sweet guy by the way) was eager to do my 'surviour tattoo'.
YIKES it looks like I am going to do this. He will sketch my idea this week and next week I go to look at it and get it done.
I will post a picture of it... and no I am not getting it as big as my daughters.
Yeha we are the tattoo family. ::)
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 12:32:21 pm »
WOW!  When I saw that you had posted on this thread, I wondered if you had gotten one.  Can you tell us what it might look like or do we have to wait??  I'm always so curious about stuff like this!!  ;D  Was it a scary place or did you find a "clean & neat" one?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 02:20:40 pm »
Michelle ~

Congratulations on making definite plans to get your own tattoo!  Although tattoos were once considered somewhat déclassé, especially for ladies, times have changed and tattoos on women are relatively common, today, with no negative connotations.  In recent years, I've seen some beautiful, tasteful tattoos on women and now wonder why they were once frowned upon by 'polite society'.  Frankly, I'm still in awe of your daughter's beautiful tattoo.  I'm sure your tattoo will be attractive as well as meaningful to you.  Definitely post a photo once the tattoo is healed up and ready for it's 'debut'.   :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 12:22:25 am »
What a nice way for your daughter to honor you. And getting one of your own to celebrate is pretty special too. I've been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now in honor of my wife and daughters and because its so much a part of the surf culture i've come to love. Both of my daughters have multiple tattoos and each has one that commemorates our family.

My oldest daughters most recent tattoo is unique.....she had me do it. It was a very strange thing to do but she surprised me when i went over to help her paint her living room and kitchen. She said she had a favor to ask and then threw that out at me. At first I said no way but she begged and said it would mean so much to her. I couldn't refuse. She had already made arrangements (knew she had Dad wrapped) to have a friend come over that is a budding tattoo artist and bring his gear. She asked me to come up with a design that would have some meaningful relationship to home. When she was born I planted a cherry tree in our backyard that is now the centerpiece of our asian inspired watergarden that her sister and I built together. So I sketched a picture of a cherry branch with a blossom and a couple of buds. I transfered the sketch to the trace paper and then to her leg. I was given a quick lesson on using the tattoo gun by her friend and away I went....very nervously. half the time you can't see what you're doing because the ink is running all over. When I finished the tattoo she had me sign it "Dad"

Yours truly hands shaking and all. Maybe I should tattoo some hair up there.... :)

It came out pretty good for a 1st tattoo if I do say so myself....it was still healing here and a little out of focus but you get the idea.

Never in my life did I ever think I would tattoo anyone nevermind one of my girls.....very strange...but she couldn't be happier with it.

BTW...not all tattoo parlors are scary. A friend of mine is a tattoo artist and his place is very clean, and decorated with great taste. He's a little scary though.... ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 12:34:22 am by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 07:32:26 am »
K I went with my idea... I asked him to give me a left angel wing (in shades of back and white) and the word Believe (in cursive writing) over the wing. I asked for the word Believe to be the colours of the rainbow and the end (not the tip) of the wing to fade in or end in kind of a mist.  My thought was that after a storm (my diagnosis) that a beautiful rainbow (my survivial ) comes out.   I also asked him if he could incorporate my daughters names into it, I don't want it to look too busy so may go back and get that somewhere else. Yikes did I say that? So we will see what he comes up with in a week. His place was in a little town near us and it was clean and he is soo sweet... lots of tattoos and very nice. I feel completely comfortable there, some places scare me but really you can't always judge a book by it's cover.

I dreamed of my tattoo during surgery (14 hrs) that is how I knew it was right.  I dreamed of one for my husband too but he is not going there. 

Stoneaxe that is amazing.. your daughter must be so proud of you. I can see her now showing it off and talking about you! Love is grand!

Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

moe

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 08:45:45 am »
Michelle,
If you dreamed of your tatoo during your surgery, then that is definitely a sign you must not ignore. Good luck. I had a tattoo on my eyebrows years back (eyebrows that never fade), but that's the extent of mine!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

lori67

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 09:20:35 am »
Stoneaxe,

That is absolutely beautiful and very sweet of your daughter!  I think you did a great job!  Are you going to the symposium?  You might be able to pay for your trip by giving tattoos at the hotel!   :D

Michelle, when I got my first tattoo, the guy told me that once you get one, you always go back to get another one.  I laughed and told him he was out of his mind and that there was no way I'd be getting another.  Well, he was right... I did.  That was enough for me though.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 09:25:33 am »
Stoneaxe,

That is the coolest tattoo I have seen - the design is good, but the provenance is outstanding!  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 10:17:23 am »
Hat knitting and now tatooing...these AN's really bring out hidden skills and talents!  Can't wait to see what mine might be???

Really, Stoneaxe, how special that is for you and your daughter!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 02:21:02 pm »
I think I'll try to figure out this knitting thing before I start trying to tattoo someone!  I seem to inflict enough pain (on myself only) when trying to knit!   :o

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 05:17:13 pm »
Stoneaxe,

That is absolutely beautiful and very sweet of your daughter!  I think you did a great job!  Are you going to the symposium?  You might be able to pay for your trip by giving tattoos at the hotel!   :D

Now there's  a great idea  ;)  Sign me up - I need another  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 08:39:29 pm »
Michelle...what a great idea for a tattoo. The symbolism is perfect. Getting a tattoo because you like them and want one is fine. Getting one with a deep meaning that helps remind you of something special is different. It's a reminder, with you forever, that causes you to reflect.

Hehe...I don't think i'll be doing many more. I was nervous as anything. All i could think of was messing it up...my hands were shaking. I'll stick to paper and pencil....or pyrography....actually i hear thats the new fad....branding....yowch.. :o. i'll bring my woodburning gear if your interested... ;)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:57:35 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org