Author Topic: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates  (Read 57763 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2009, 07:49:51 am »
Hi Nancy,

It isn't really sitting up, I may exagerate a little :).  A 20 to 30 degree angle so the head is far enough above the heart to keep swelling down.  I sleep with thin pillows because I am not comfortable sleeping with my neck propped up.  That's just me.

They haven't told me how long, but I plan to find out on Wednesday.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:31 am »
Hi Ernie,

I’m glad you’re having so many good days. You’re daily journal has helped tremendously, and you have inspired me to do my best before, during and after surgery!

Luckily, my tendency is to sleep with 5 pillows now, so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue for me. ;D

Thank you for sending the scarf along to me. I am honored to have it, and promise to get it to the next person a.s.a.p.   

P.S. My husband has just joined the forum (Rich56) and plans on letting all my new friends know how my surgery goes.
      He has been my rock through all of this, and I love him with all of my heart!!  :-*

Scarlett
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2009, 10:15:13 am »
Excellent. Phew! You had me worried there for a minute...  ;D

Truth be told, Steve, I was getting a little worried also.  I was thinking that perhaps Ernie was getting a wee bit too attached to that leopard scarf  ;)

Lori -  I think you might be slipping.  I thought for sure you'd mention the black fridge in the first picture (not the dart board in the second).  It's been a long time since I've been to a keg party, but the black fridge has what appeared to me to be a keg tapper attached to it??  Or am I just making that up?  Perhaps mini fridges are just different in Florida than they are in Illinois.

Nancy - I never slept sitting up - or even propped at up an angle - post op.  No one told me I should and I had no inclination to (no pun intended).  I didn't have any issues with swelling or headaches.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2009, 10:18:19 am »
Hi gang:  I had to sleep 'propped up' too, but I can't remember how long it was for.   I do remember however, having my best 'naps' on the living room couch !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2009, 12:29:55 pm »
Jan,
Well, one just does not know what to expect with this thing, does one?  I'm such a planner, I'll just have to plan for every possible contingency!

Scarlett,
You know I will be pacing, awaiting every word out of Rich's fingertips.
I'm hoping to get the scarf as well, but I'm glad you have it.
How did the pre-op go?  Or did I miss your report? 

What was the question again?  Grin

Steve

Steve,
What was the question?

Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2009, 01:10:05 pm »
I keep typing a post and deleting it.  It's a touchy subject.  I'm not sure why some think I had the journal too long, although thinking back, I wish I had sent it off last week, but I'll be out of surgery 11 days when it gets mailed.  From the entries I can get dates from, the average has been 19 days.  There have been quicker, and there have been slower.  In any case, I'm moving it along so stop picking on me!  ;D

Ernie

-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2009, 01:57:10 pm »
Ernie,
Hope you weren't referring to my scarf comment.  I was alerting Scarlett to my desire to have it one day.
I think we all know you passed it along.  We're very pleased that it worked its magic on you.
How are you feeling?
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2009, 02:03:52 pm »
Not at all Nancy, and I let Scarlett know too that you wanted the scarf :).  I am doing well.  The comment was more to Steve and Jan about worrying about me sending off the scarf :).  Steve and Jan, I know you are just concerned and want the scarf to keep moving.  I just don't want people to here to think I would even ever consider setting it aside and forgetting about it.  Misunderstandings probably, which can lead to feelings getting hurt is all.  Some things better for PM's than open forum.

Ernie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2009, 02:06:47 pm »
Ernie -

I'm sorry you took my post seriously  :-[  - I was just joking around.  How long someone keeps the scarf isn't my decision, nor do I have anything to say about who it goes to next.  Actually it was thought up long after my surgery and I have had no involvement with it - other than to read about it and see it on this forum.

I won't put words in Steve's mouth, but I'm pretty confident he was just joking around also.  I'll let him speak for himself though.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2009, 02:15:34 pm »
Ernie~
Oh my goodness - I took the whole thing as just a big joke - we are such kidders here!!  Please don't think anyone was being serious in any way!!  You are probably moving it along much faster than most because of your warp speed recovery.  I think there was just more joking towards you because everybody LOVES it that a guy has it - usually you think of leopard scarfs and women!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

EJTampa

« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2009, 02:21:02 pm »
I'm sure you're right.  I'm sure it was a joke, which is the way I should have taken it to begin with.  For some reason I just felt pressured.  I know you are all a great bunch and love to joke all the time :)

We are heading off to walmart (no, I'm not driving).  Maybe we'll stop for an icecream.

Ernie

lori67

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2009, 02:31:15 pm »
Jan,

I noticed the keg-erator in the background of Ernie's Superman picture - I'm guessing that's his "playroom"!   :D  Now we know the real reason Ernie can't walk straight!   :D

Ernie, ice cream always helps! Have a lot of it! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2009, 03:46:06 pm »
Nancy,
I slept propped up and also got a pregnancy pillow (swear by it) to keep myself from rolling over.  If not, I rolled to my surgery side and woke up in agony!  Also, I think it took me four or five days until I could sleep through the night, but I'd have to check back over my posts. For me, the first three days (which don't count) were not great, but by the end of the first week I began to feel better.  I was walking outside and napping a lot, but I did feel pretty good.  It will be a unique experience for you (Ernie doesn't count either because he is Superman) but at least you'll be well prepared.
Marci

What's a keg-erator btw?
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2009, 04:12:58 pm »

What's a keg-erator ?

Basically, a small refrigerator that holds (and keeps cold) a keg (approximately 15 gallons if filled) of beer and has the necessary components to dispense it, 'on tap', just as they do in a bar.  Very popular in college dorms (and recreation rooms) across America. :)  No, I don't have one. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

sgerrard

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2009, 04:51:18 pm »
I'm sure it was a joke...

Of course it was a joke, Ernie - or was it?  :o

The magic scarf is, well, magic. It has been known to engender excessively strong feelings of attachment, so we have to keep an eye out. Oh it is seductive and fetching all right, but if you keep it too long, you will start to call it "My Precious." We don't want that happening.

Just look at the acute interest displayed by Nancy McDonald in getting the scarf for her surgery. Though it has already been postponed once, I bet she would reschedule surgery again, if it meant getting the scarf in time. I'm afraid we may have another struggle on our hands to get her to give it up.

No, we must be ever vigilant with the magic scarf, lest anyone succumb to its charms and start to loose their mind. Posing on a treadmill as Magic Scarf Man was a sure sign of trouble brewing. Intervention was mandatory.

But all is well that ends well, and now we can look back on it as just a bit of fun.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.