Author Topic: should i worry...  (Read 9884 times)

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
should i worry...
« on: February 11, 2006, 04:48:29 pm »
Hi everyone,
Well I have a new "something" happening lately and was wondering if anyone here has had this kind of problem. As you all probably know, my tumor was on my left side and surgery was last August. I am recovering really well...much better and faster than my docs thought. Anyway, my new problem is, occasionally my RIGHT arm starts shaking. I can barely control it enough to even type. I feel fine but am beginning to worry about this shaking stuff.
If anyone has a clue what this might be or if its connected to my surgery, please let me know.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Raydean

Re: should i worry...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 06:26:45 pm »
This is  probably one of those things that you need to bring to your doctor's attention to find the cause.  I don't have a clue as to what it could be, but i think it's significant enough that you really need to see your Doctor.

My husband had some shaking of the hand that was tumor side that was related to the AN and outcomes (6cm).  Being yours is the opposite side of the tumor it would be a concern.   Please make an appointment soon and let us know what the doctor says.

Thinking of you.
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 02:05:17 pm »
I think I will do that Raydean. I think the peace of mind makes it important for me to find out what is going on. Thank you.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

russ

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2006, 04:42:52 pm »
Hi
  Yes, I would see the Dr.
  As I remember, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the bodies motor functions and vice versa. Your AN was reasonably large.
  Best wishes!
  Russ

Raydean

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 05:40:11 am »
Hi Russ

We were told following Chet's treatment that due to where these tumors are located in the brain the right part of brain affecting the left side and left side of brain affecting the right side of body does not apply. This is true with a stroke and other brain injuries, but the location of the AN is in a different area.  Any  problems would be tumor side ( in Chet's case) right side only.   In Chet's case  physical problems such as facial paralysis, hand coordination, shakiness, gait change in walking and weakness are limited to the tumor side. He has no left side of body impairment of any type.

I'm not a doctor and could be wrong, but it's a statement that I remember different doctors making over time when I took Chet in for evaluations.

Maybe someone else on the board has more information on this.

Best to all
Raydean
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

DeniseSmith

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 07:47:36 am »
I feel I need to add my two cents to this thread.  My AN was large and located on my left side. My left side was affected due to the size of the tumor. I had trouble controlling my left arm and hand, actually my entire left side immediately after surgery. I went to physical therapy and occupational therapy which has helped quite a bit.   Sometimes when I am tired I find my left hand is shakey.  I guess I just figured this was a normal side affect of my surgery.   It does not happen to me on a regular basis.  I am doing exercises my PT gave me and they help, once again patience is required to get through this life changing event. 

Also, I would like to comment on the Right Side/Left Side comments previously entered.   When I got home from my two week stay in the hospital and rehab. We discovered I could not feel hot/cold or pain on my entire right side, also my blood pressure was slightly elevated.  When I spoke with my surgeon, he said my tumor was so large, that when they removed it they tapped my brain stem (he called it a brain stem insult) and that is why I am having trouble on my right side. So yes, the left side does control the right and even though the location of the tumor should not affect your functions, things can and do happen in surgery that can affect your outcome.  I am now 9 months post-op and just starting to feel hot/cold in my right hand only, my blood pressure has returned to normal. 

Denise

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2006, 03:40:27 pm »
Denise,

Pleased to hear that things are coming right for you.

I do get angry though when, and there are too many posts to list on this issue, we (patients) go back to the doctors afterwards and mention an issue to be told "oh yeah during the op........

I for one, was not told of a number of issues re my op and do get annoyed by it. Sorry guys, but that feels better.

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

becknell

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2006, 04:17:19 pm »
Larry — I think that's why it's important that all patients request their doctor's surgical report after their surgery. In the report your doctor gives a sort of a narrative of what happened in the surgery — including any unexpected things, how much of the tumor was gotten or not gotten, whether the patinet got blood, any involvement with the brain stem, etc. We got reports from both surgeons and it was interesting that they mentioned different things in their reports. A lot of it was written in medical-ese, but I sat down with a medical dictionary and went through it. We had to ask for these reports, it was not offered, but when we asked, they readily provided it. Just a note to anyone who is getting ready for surgery that you may want to request these reports just for your own information.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 04:51:56 pm »
Thanks for that. I will write to my ex surgeon to get this report.

cheers
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

DeniseSmith

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 08:09:13 am »
Becknell, thanks for the advice, I didn't know there was such a thing.  Thanks!!!  I am going to contact my surgeon too.
Denise

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 10:33:00 pm »
Thank you all for the info. I am going to ask for mine too. I didnt realize doctors would give that info. I think it would be kind of interesting to know what was going during the surgery.
The shaking subsided after I got a little rest but was back tonight for a short time. I'll let you all know what the docs have to say.
Hope you all had a loving Valentine's Day.     Sherry

millert

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 10:42:55 pm »
Becknell--You could not be so right!! I received my surgical report 6 years after my surgery. My wife and I were numbed by what was written by both the surgeon and the neurologist! I had middle fossa approach and the retractors holding the frontal lobe let go not once but TWICE. Then to top it off, the artery was nicked and the surgery was halted until they could stop the bleeding!! Precisely at that time both docs reported my hearing went flat line. NEVER, did either doc mention that to my wife or any family member present. Unbelievable!! No wonder I have ben plagued by ever increasing headaches.
Right side AN, removed Dec. 1998 Jackler;Pitts @UCSF,

Battyp

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 09:54:50 pm »
I had to request my records when I went to see a new doctor.  They can charge you for the information but it was very interesting reading.  It also has been helpful for follow up visits with local doctors as my surgery was done across state.

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 11:44:41 pm »
Well all, I went for my appointment which by the way, is an hour and a half drive(grrrrr), only to be told that my doctor was called away to surgery. Now I will wait until April or May when I meet with the rest of the surgical team. The shaking seems to have resolved itself, thank God. I'm not sure what that was all about. I have a terrible cold right now but otherwise I am doing very well. My facial function is almost back to normal...YEAHHHHHH.
I do have a question about this cold if anyone cares to share. Since my surgery the whole left side of my face has been really dry, meaning my eye, my nasal passage, even the left half of my mouth. Now with this cold my nose is running like water on the left side only. Could this be some normal function returning? My eye almost feels like its beginning to tear too. I will cross my fingers and hope this is further indication of return to normal. I have to say tho, I have never had a cold that hurts in my face so much. Anyone else experience this? Thank you all for your input.                     

Love and Hugz 2 You all, Sherry

Battyp

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 08:21:50 am »
Don't you just hate when they are so rude to our schedules?  I drove 3 hours for my last appt and in the middle of my appt I was dismissed as the doctor had a call from anothe doctor...Hey I'm just as important I just don't make the big bucks!

I too just had my left eye tear after 5 mos of it being dry.  I so loved crying out of one eye...which seems to occur more often than ever before I can't handle hallmark commericals!  let's up our faces are waking up!  I'd love to feel my tongue again!