Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 99931 times)

sgerrard

Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 11:10:13 pm »
I've been meaning to welcome Stoneaxe to the forum, and comment on paddle boarding as well. I like the picture, and I didn't realize the boards were so long. I can't imagine I will be trying that, and I doubt I will be sporting the washboard abs anytime soon, either. I have to say, though, it is an inspiring thing to read about.  8)

So welcome, Stoneaxe, and more power to you.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2009, 04:19:08 am »
You ladies have me blushing.. :-[. I have to admit. One of the really great side effects of finding standup for therapy has been the physical conditioning it has brought with it. I watched what I ate and paddled while training for the CCBC. That was the only exercise I did and I lost 40 lbs of fat (from 290 to 250 in the picture) and added a bunch of muscle. Its the best physical training I've ever done with the exception of maybe swimming. Balancing on the board requires every muscle from your ankles up to your chest and paddling works the arms, back, chest, and particularly the shoulders.

Just for you ladies...the guy in the middle on the yellow board is David Chokachi of Baywatch Fame.
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS271US271&q=david+chokachi
My wife said she would volunteer for sunscreen duty... ;). He grew up locally and flew out to participate. Very nice guy.

Donna...you don't neccesarily need to be a REAL strong swimmer. If you plan to use it only for flatwater and fishing you could always wear a PFD anyway. I always wear a leash as well so you are attached to the board if you fall in...never more than a couple of strokes away. Did you see the fishing vid I included? I fish for striper and bluefish from my board....I attach a milk crate with rod holders and a small tackle box tied on. Its a great way to fish since you can get in anywhere and can see into the water better than from a kayak or canoe. Very stealthy too.. 8)

Steve...there's no reason why you couldn't. The boards while long are lightweight. My board is considered a big board and is great for beginners. It's 12'-6" long x 30" wide but weighs only 32 lbs. I have a number of boards now. My smallest is 9'8" x 30' and weighs 23 lbs. There are boards of all sizes and widths, much depends on the size of the person. The 9-8 board is actually my wife's board...she's pretty small at 5'-4", 130 lbs and she carries it no problem. I do use the 9-8 to surf on though...a lot tougher to balance on but that's a good thing.

One of the things I plan on doing next summer if anyone is interested that lives in the area (I'm on the south shore of Massachusetts) is to let folks try it out. I have a variety of different sized boards. I could probably also help make arrangements for folks in other areas to give it a try. I'm very active on the forums for standup paddlesurfing (isn't it great that there is a forum for any interest now) so I know a lot of folks from all over that could make demos available...or at least have low cost rentals to try it out. I don't have any commercial interest...just a passion, and I'm hoping that some folks might find the same benefit I am.

If you're interested in some more on the CCBC (pics, video, and story)
http://www.kenalu.com/2008/08/15/cape-cod-bay-challenge-we-made-it/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 05:03:15 am by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2009, 12:56:05 pm »

Hubby bought me a 13 foot fishing boat ( as I'm the fisher-woman of the family ;) ) I didn't even go near it this past summer as I was only a few short months post-op. Walking was a challenge so I couldn't think past staying on flat ground. However I am already planning my first fishing trip as soon as the ice melt away. So I'm determined now!!! Donnalynn

I Hear ya ... I was out on a smallish lake about 5 weeks after surgery .. I had a real hard time with the balance .. it does get better but not by itself... just keep on truck'in  ;D

Chopper blue from my Kayak... (is it spring yet!!!!)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:58:14 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

cindyj

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2009, 01:25:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Stoneaxe - love your postitive attitude!  Ok, I want one of these boards!  It makes me seasick just thinking about trying it, and I know it would be very difficult, but what a fun way to do therapy...or just plain fun!  No oceans nearby me, but plenty of lakes...You mentioned that the boards a still pretty pricey - roughly how much would a board be?  Thanks for the thread - you may have started a new AN craze!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2009, 01:45:35 pm »
Good question, Cindy.

I passed this info along to my brother in Jersey and he said purchasing a board wasn't cheap (but then again, what is these days  ??? ).

Stoneaxe -

can you generally rent boards for a few hours? or do you have to buy your own?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 01:05:38 am »
Donnalynn....one of the guys that posts on the standup paddlesurfing forum I belong too is a dealer from Edmonton, Alberta believe it or not... ;D. Here is one of his somewhat recent posts...just before it got REAL cold up there.
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=2698.msg22674#msg22674

For the type of fishing I do i'm usually standing up at all times, even when I hook a fish, but you can paddle around and then sit or kneel if you prefer. Whatever suits you. As you get better its more fun to fight them standing up. The boards do have a central balance point where you normally stand while paddling for flatwater and such. The only time you step out of that is when surfing typically. At your size though on a larger board like mine you could move around a bit.

It did take me quite awhile to work up to it but its much easier on flatwater. You'll fall in a LOT at the beginning. At least I did but once you get it dialed in things like boats passing by arent a problem. You just let the board roll over the wake. As you can see I go out in some crazy conditions now (and fall often in those) but when I go out in nice surfing conditions there are waves coming in every 10-15 seconds or so I just ride up and over them and only catch the ones I want and rarely fall. You might even try surfing some boat wakes. If you know some folks with a good sized boat...say 18'+, they can usually throw a wake that is surfable. Take a look at this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kig3UnDaCbk

Actually your diminutive stature is an advantage. The same day I first tried it, and fell continuously, my wife at 5'4" stepped on for the first time (granted she doesn't have balance problems) and paddled for a 1/2 hour in slight chop (little 6"-10" waves) and never fell once. She got wet up to her ankles and that was it. I then picked her up and threw her in.... ;D

Joe...nice fish...I have a scar on my little finger from a blue about that big....lucky he let me keep the finger... ;D

Cindy....the boards right now are running anywhere from $800 and up but there are about to be some coming out that are meant for the mass market that I think will be much cheaper. I think we should start seeing some that are meant primarily for flatwater use around $500 eventually. Paddles start around $150. There also are some starting to be available used...at least in coastal/surfing areas anyway.

Jan....In areas where there are surf shops you can usually find some available for rent

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:23:29 pm by stoneaxe »
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 08:36:07 am »
Joe...nice fish...I have a scar on my little finger from a blue about that big....lucky he let me keep the finger... ;D

Cindy....the boards right now are running anywhere from $800 and up but there are about to be some coming out that are meant for the mass market that I think will be much cheaper. I think we should start seeing some that are meant primarily for flatwater use around $500 eventually. Paddles start around $150. There also are some starting to be available used...at least in coastal/surfing areas anyway.

Notice I am using a gripper tool , because I'd like to keep my fingers  ;)    (for those that dont fish, blues have razor sharp teeth, they are the pirana of the northeast)

Kayaks/paddles run about the same money .. stoneaxe, you should check out http://newenglandkayakfishing.com/ .. most of the forum members are in the Boston area...

some boat wakes. If you know some folks with a good sized boat...say 18"+, they can usually throw a wake that is surfable. Take a look at this vid.

that is too cool !! ... no need for a water ski tow rope !!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 08:40:46 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sgerrard

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 11:49:09 am »
Okay, I just figured out that the Big Wind surf shop in Hood River Oregon has SUP boards. I think they have the Starboard Cruiser board stoneaxe has in that picture. As a wind surfing mecca, it appears Hood River is in on stand up as well, and has all the stuff, and the Gorge is a good place to do it. So this just got more feasible for me. For those that don't know, Hood River sits on a big gorge in the Columbia river, it is more like a small lake there, and they get great wind, plus it is beautiful.

I am still doubtful about the washboard abs, however.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 04:20:01 pm »
Steve....my brother is a big windsurfer..or was anyway before he started doing standup. He lives 1/2 time in Portland, OR and 1/2 in Maui. He used to windsurf the Gorge frequently. Right now he is on Maui but should be back in Portland sometime in April. There are quite a few folks on the SUP (standup paddleboard) forums from the Hood River area. There is also a big contingent of SUP folks in Bend that go out on the lake and river. Gerry Lopez...a surfing legend moved there a few years back to focus on snowboarding but also started paddling on the lake and it has exploded in popularity.
http://www.standuppaddlebend.com/

If you paddle enough the washboard abs will come... ;D. This is the best core workout I've ever done.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 06:10:11 pm »
Stone -

thanks for the tip on rentals  :)

Steve -

sounds like we can be expecting you to pick up this new hobby soon? 

I've been thinking of following joef's lead - no, not fishing - kayaking.  I've always loved canoeing, but it pretty much requires two people and I'm usually one short.  I can't row a row-boat; I end up going around in circles  :P  A kayak would be the perfect solution.  I'm seriously thinking about purchasing one, but I'm not sure where I could store it and even though I don't live too far from a body of water, I don't live too close either.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009, 10:40:20 am »
Jan,     If you really do have a kayak interest, every year mid March is a super event in Madison ,WI.
Rutabuga puts on a weekend event called Canoecopia.   Is at Alliant Energy center.       They have speakers and venders of all canoe and kayaks and related items.  Some programs are for women who kayak.        We went every year for many years.    My husband bought his sea kayak there and used for many years.            He has not done much the last couple years but used to a great deal.       Not real common for central Iowa.     There was a yearly organized event where they did a week on the Mississippi and also some rivers in Minn and WI.    The name of it changed and am not sure now what it is.    Possibly river rumble.   He went on it for many years.            I am not a water person which is why he went to the kayak and is a one person type.    Did have a friend who also got one.                       There is internet info about all this you can check into.   
                                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 10:51:56 am »
Ok, the website is www.riverrumble.org     and is on Mississippi again this year.          One does need to be a somewhat experienced kayaker for this due to the daily amount of miles each day and the varying weather conditions.                                Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009, 06:17:15 pm »
Cheryl -

thanks SO much for this info.

Madison isn't that far from me, so I'll definitely look into this.  By March the kids and I will need a weekend away, so if I get them a hotel with an indoor pool they'll be more than happy to accompany me on my fact-finding mission  ;D

Jan

cindyj

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 06:39:37 pm »
After much Googling, I found a shop in the Atl area that sells SUP boards, even some on consignment!  I'm trying to sell the idea to my husband, but so far, he's not buying - he does not believe I'll get out on the lake on anything other than a motor boat due to my slight aversion to snakes (some of you may recall previous posts on this subject ;)).  I'm thinking this will be great incentive for me to learn quickly how not to fall off the board!  Besides, we do go to the beach once a year and there aren't any snakes in the ocean...yes, I know, there are other critters that might be bothersome.  But, I'm not giving up - I think this looks ilke such a great sport!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 08:42:22 pm »
And if you do see a snake you have a big paddle in your hands.... ::)

LOL...my wife shares your aversion to snakes. If she saw a water snake while on the lake she wouldn't need the board....she would just run to shore.... :D