Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 99936 times)

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« on: December 31, 2008, 04:28:11 am »
Hello All,

New to the forum. I wanted to share my experience in a place where it might do the most good.

Diagnosed in late 2003 with a 6mm AN, proton beam radiosurgery March of 2004. Its grown to 11mm recently. Much of the usual, deafness, tinnitus, dizzines, headaches, occasional vertigo. I had a real hard time with the dizziness, often couldn't drive my car, stumbling, falling. Had a tough time with work...fortunately had a very understanding employer. Despite all the very boring balance PT exercises things didn't get all that much better. I thought I was stuck with being that way for good.

Then in the fall of 2007 my older brother gave me a standup paddle board to use as possible therapy. At first I thought there was no way it was going to work. I fell off every 30 seconds, but after about 3 months of stubborness it finally clicked. Then I made a new friend and we started discussing a charity event. At 1st I thought I would just help plan and pull it together....the idea after all was to paddle 28 miles across Cape Cod Bay to raise money and awareness to fight plastic pollution in the oceans. I didn't think there was any way I would be ready to participate. http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org/

My friend and my brother both encouraged me so I started training in all kinds of conditions. On August 9th I, along with my brother, my friend and 5 others made the 28 mile paddle in just over 7 hours. These days I commonly surf on 6'-8' waves and my favorite workout is to go out in a violent nor'easter with 6'-10' waves, 2'-3' chop, and 20-30 mph winds. I fall off in those conditions but not many wouldn't.

Along the way an amazing thing happened. Pushing my need for balance to extremes has made the normal possible. That's not to say that I don't still have bad days. But the good days outweigh the bad now by a good margin.

The best part about this is. I'm having more fun doing this than anything else I've ever done. The most fun is surfing, but even flatwater workouts are great. My wife and I really enjoy that part together (we bought her a board this past spring). They are being used to surf the worlds largest waves, whitewater on rivers, calm lakes....wherever there is water. People are using them for fishing and just sightseeing since you can see into the water so much better than a canoe or kayak. It can be both one of the most exciting things you've ever done or the most calming all depending on what you are doing. OH...and to top it all off. I'm in the best shape I've seen in 20 years. I'm 50 and feel like I'm 30...I've lost 40 pounds, while adding a bunch of muscle.

If anyone is interested I can certainly answer questions and help point you in the right direction. Boards and a paddle today are kind of pricey but the bang you get for the buck is hard to beat. Prices are coming down too as more affordable board manufacturing processes are being used and they are being made in larger numbers. There is also finally starting to be a used market developing.

I just recently started a blog http://newenglandsup.wordpress.com/ you'll see a couple of my crazy nor'easter sessions in there as well as a surf session or two.

I hope maybe some of you might find this interesting. It's changed my life. A little over a year an a half ago I was an overweight balance challenged guy on a downward spiral and more than a little depressed over the direction things were headed. Here I am now in almost the best shape of my life with my spirit refreshed every time I come in off the water....life is good. Even the news that my little friend has grown a bit recently can't dampen my spirits for long.

Happy New Year. ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Kaybo

Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:56 am »
Thanks for sharing this with us!!  I think this is certainly something that I would really like to try but unfortunately, I live on the DRY Texas Plains where we are greatly lacking in water!! :-[
Glad you have found such a wonderful way to "come back" & get in even better shape!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 09:20:21 am »
This sounds like a great - and incredibly fun - way to get your balance back.  And the charity event was a great idea; kudos to you!

The only body of water I live semi-close to is Lake Michigan.  Think it would work there?

I'm also thinking I might be a little old for this activity, but maybe this old dog could learn some new tricks.

Thanks for sharing; glad you're AN journey has gotten so much better in the past year.

Happy New Year to you, too  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:45:13 am »

Great fun !  I have my own balance program too !!  I did not start Kayaking until AFTER my AN ... now I can't get enough... I go out as much as I can ... even at night ... (I feel more at home "yak"ing in the dark than walking! :o )

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 01:22:16 pm »
Kaybo...maybe big rubber wheels attached.... ;D

Leapyrtwins....Lake Michigan is fine. There are a few folks in Chicago that are doing it. Almost any body of water is fine actually. Too old....No!...I'm 50, my brother, who got me into this, is 62! Getting old is a state of mind....I'm 18 mentally. My brother has a saying..."I can't help growing older...but I can be immature forever". He actually turns 62 on January 5th and is getting a beautiful new race board in a couple of days. He plans to paddle it 62 miles downwind on his birthday...of course he lives on Maui so that makes it a little easier.... ;)

Joef...nice rig! I've done some striper and bluefish fishing off my board....great fun. Stripers take you for a ride. Nothing quite like this though..
http://www.youtube.com/v/B9j7Oatucw8&hl

A friend of mine has a website for folks that are learning standup. He is grabbing info on how to from all the best sites on the web and compiling it in one place. A great resource. http://howtostanduppaddlesurf.com/
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 02:46:34 pm »
GREAT inspiration!!!! EXCEPT the cold......the snow is gorgeous, I just can't imagine getting the nerve when cold to do this. I am sure it is very invigorating. THANK you for joining our group. Your blog is great and the role modeloing you are doing for us is greatly appreciated. Can't wait to hear more...

Happy New Year,

Dizzy Dame,

Mary 8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 04:01:37 pm »
Leapyrtwins....Lake Michigan is fine. There are a few folks in Chicago that are doing it. Almost any body of water is fine actually. Too old....No!...I'm 50, my brother, who got me into this, is 62!

Wow, I'm actually younger than both you and your brother.  For some reason I got the impression from your post that you were just a "kid" - I was thinking early 20's LOL

Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out and I'll pass it along to my younger brother (he's 45).  He just taught my kids to boogie board this past summer at the Jersey shore, he scuba dives, etc.  I think standup paddleboarding might be right up his alley  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »
Mary...it's not really cold with the right gear. Except for extremely cold days (below 20 deg F) I actually find myself sweating after about a 1/2 hour of paddling. I wear a full wetsuit, hood, boots, and gloves. I also put in an earplug in my good ear to keep any cold water out when I do fall in. Going to get a waterproof MP3 player shortly that will take the place of the earplug.

I try to get out at least 2-3 times/week. i'm actually going to try and increase that since I want to start racing this spring and summer and we'll be doing our charity event again this August. One of the great things about standup is the versatility. Races and what are called downwinders are becoming a very popular part of the sport. A recent race..the Battle of the Paddle had almost 300 people participate (my brother Bill amongst them, and he did very well for an old geezer). Downwinders are open ocean or coastal runs where you will go out on a windy day and run with the wind and swells. Here is a video of an online acquantance of mine doing a downwinder on the westside of Oahu. http://vimeo.com/2520065 I'm hoping I can build up to this kind of performance. I'm hoping Sam and I can get on the water together someday. Maybe next time I get out to visit my brother.

Jan...the Jersey shore has quite a few folks doing standup out there. Island Surf and Sail is supposed to be a great shop if he's interested. I am a kid...at heart anyway...only way to be...life is too short to be taken seriously... ;D

Here is a pic of when we finished the Cape Cod Bay Challenge...what a great day...I'm 3rd from the left.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:52:34 pm by stoneaxe »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 12:01:42 am »
Stone -

thanks for the tip on Island Surf and Sail, I'll pass it along to my brother.

BTW, great picture; thanks for sharing it.

Jan

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 01:07:17 pm »
And,may I just add that all those washborad abs are great advertising for standup paddleboarding!!!  ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tumbleweed

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 01:36:49 pm »
This is totally cool, Stonaxe. Thanks for sharing.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 04:27:32 pm »
Ditto on the washboard abs.  :P
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 09:11:31 pm »
You know, I was going to comment on all the nice looking men (Stoneaxe included), but I thought I'd get a lot of grief from Kaybo and Lori  ::)  :D

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2009, 09:13:53 pm »
Jan~
I am refraining from any comments...I'll leave that to Lori... ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2009, 09:20:59 pm »
Bless you, Kay!  ;D