Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 99691 times)

sgerrard

Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 12:14:49 am »
Jan, I can't promise anything, but I am looking into it. Stand up paddle board just sounds right.  8)

Hood River, according to Google, is a 1 hour and 4 minutes drive. I think I can shave off the 4 minutes if I put my foot down. :) Bend is a little over 3 hours. I have been to the lake there, and it is a nice place, but the closeness of Hood River is very appealing.

I am definitely keeping an eye on Cindy to see if she does it. If she can hack the snakes, I should be able to hack the exercise.  Actually the sun exposure may be an issue; I tan by turning red, then waiting for it to fade to a reddish tan.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kaybo

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 08:26:29 am »
SUNSCREEN, Steve, SUNSCREEN...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 03:57:03 pm »
I'm happy to hear this has stirred some interest.

By circumstance I've run a bit of a test on myself. The last two weeks happened to be the second time in the last year that I've been unable to get on the water for a couple weeks. Holiday and family responsibilities and then a nasty headcold. When the headcold was gone my balance was still really bad...almost like it used to be before I started paddling. The lack of paddling really made my head go south.

The first time I noticed this was actually after a particularly good spell. Last February my brother invited my wife and I out to Maui to help him put together a board showcase for an online magazine dedicated to the sport http://www.kenalu.com/ (the magazine is purely for the fun of it...he doesn't take advertizing..if he ever does he'll donate the proceeeds to charity). We were out there for two weeks and my brother and I managed to fit in 5 or 6 hours a day of paddling and surfing. At the end of those two weeks my head was clear and my balance was as close to what I remember normal is as it has ever been since my surgery.

When we got back from the trip I had piles of work backed up at the office, yardwork galor....I ended up not getting on the water for two weeks. My head went south in a big way...balance was way off. It seems like it takes a little while for the effects of recent exercise to wear off...kind of a snowball effect for me. Slow change at first for week or so but then all of a sudden it's a monster. The good news is (at least for me) that it seems to quickly reset. My head was definitely a bit wobbly today but I managed to drive (slowly) to the beach and get on the water. I went out for a 1.5 hour paddle and came in with an almost clear head. I also burnt off the cheeseburger I had for lunch... ;D

Steve...How close is the Willamette to you? My brother paddles there often.

I really wouldn't worry about the swimming issue Donnalyn. If you had a lifeguard certificate regardless of it being years ago you'll be fine.  If you're nervous you can wear a PFD and as I mentioned you are leashed to the board.

I can't begin to think about NOT doing this. It has given me my life back. Nothing, NOTHING, else I've done...balance boards, walking, running, hiking... all the boring PT stuff...nothing did for me what this does. I find that it takes 2-3 days a week, at least 1-2 hours/day to be effective. I do still do some exercising (light weights) on my balance board/disc in between but it just isn't as effective as paddling.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 04:23:22 pm »
Stoneaxe
You are an inspiration and if you do end up needing surgery or undergoing radiation, you will be back on that board in no time.  Determination is what got me running again after surgery and I haven't stopped since.  You sound like a pretty determined person...and if you start an AN trend, it could lead to group events and the like.  Now, wouldn't that be a hoot?  ;D
Be well,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 04:28:44 pm »
I can't believe there was a picture of some hunky guys with lotsa muscles and I just found it!!  What's wrong with me???

Maybe we can have a paddleboarding lesson at the symposium in August? Stoneaxe, I'm sure you'd love to teach of bunch of half deaf, drunken sailors to do this, right?

I have to admit, this does look interesting.  Perhaps when I get back to Virginia Beach, I can look into it.  The only thing with water in it around Nashville is a lake I wouldn't feel comfortable getting wet up to my ankles in!  I can only imagine what's living in there!  I have a slight aversion to lakes, snakes and miscellaneous slimy things - I'm more of an ocean person.  But only if the water is warm.  I'm picky.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 04:54:00 pm »
Lori,
You're picky?  No way! ;D  I'm shocked.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 11:24:27 am »
I know, Marci, hard to believe, isn't it???  :D

Just wait until the eating portion of the symposium - then you'll see how really picky I am!

But, I figure the water in Chicago should be fairly warm in August, so this paddleboarding thing isn't completely out of the question! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 04:08:07 pm »
Yes, but does that mean that I have to put on a bathing suit?  I'm not sure the world is ready for that.  :D

lori67

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 08:56:24 pm »
Oh, man, I never even thought of that.   :o  Uh, maybe I'll just watch you guys learn while I stay on the shore - with lots of baggy clothing on.....

Lori

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 09:50:11 pm »
Ladies...I have to tell you. I didn't look very hunky before I started paddling. I still don't think I do but I keep getting a lot of comments from women...some much younger than I, (which my wife does NOT like) telling me how good I look. Maybe they mean relative to how I used to look... ::). I dropped over 40 lbs even though I added a lot of muscle, so I probably actually lost 50 lbs or more of fat. I was 240 lbs in that picture, down from 290 when I 1st started paddling a year before. I did watch what I ate closely for about 3 months during that time and thats when I lost about 1/2 the weight.

Since the onset of winter I haven't been getting out as much and the holiday always packs on a few pounds. I'm up to 250 now so its time to get back on the water more frequently. My goal weight for this spring is 230 lbs. Thats about as low as I can go before I start cutting into muscle and is what I weighed when I graduated high school... ;D. I don't plan on dieting really...just not snacking at night and drinking less milk (I love milk)....no ice cream either... :(

The best part of this is how good I FEEL. It makes so many other things possible. Even beyond the balance issues...everyday things...bending over to pick something up without groaning...its amazing how good that feels.

As far as staying on the shoreline in baggy clothes...come on! If I can go out and do this in as bad a shape as I was anybody can. Its a great way to get yourself into the shape where you can get that bathing suit on and feel good about it.

Is the symposium in Chicago? I have a friend (online forum friend) that lives in Chicago that I'm sure would be happy to give a demonstration.

Lori...I have another online forum friend in Virginia Beach that I'm sure would be happy to get you on a board.

It's funny...I've become so passionate for the sport because of what it has done for me. I'm the numero uno poster on the biggest online forum for Standup paddle surfing...http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php. Through it I've made a lot of online friends...people that I hope to someday meet and share some time on the water and a laugh or two with. Some are unlikely...Australia...some are planned for my next Maui trip...some I'll meet this summer...one being the gentleman I'm refering you to...we are both planning on attending a SUP race to raise money for childhood cancer that another member of the forum is planning in North Carolina in June....and one has become one of my best friends...we planned the CCBC together after meeting on the forum. He only lives 60 miles away so we get together to surf as often as we can.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:44:29 pm by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »

Is the symposium in Chicago? I have a friend (online forum friend) that lives in Chicago that I'm sure would be happy to give a demonstration.

THAT would be very COOL  8)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 09:44:45 pm »
This symposium is shaping up to be a lot of fun.  Mass eating and drinking, paddleboarding, and of course, the distribution of the hats that Steve is busily knitting!
Marci

lori67

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 11:14:22 am »
Do you think Steve can knit us waterproof bathing caps?

Wait, it's Steve we're talking about here!  Of course he can!

Lori

Kaybo

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:18 pm »
...as long as there are instructions on the internet, Steve can do ANYTHING!!   ;D

K

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2009, 05:15:09 pm »
http://genvieve.net/sca/monmouthcap.html

I'm not so sure it's water proof tho..

Carry on..

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager