Author Topic: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy  (Read 99950 times)

cindyj

Re: Standup Paddleboarding as therapy
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2009, 03:50:18 pm »
Let's just find a really big pool...no snakes, sharks, slimey things, etc.  We could have relay races up and down the pool...

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

sgerrard

« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2009, 04:19:49 pm »
Steve, can you devise a full bodysuit that cover's feet too?  Ya know, something the lock ness monster can't BITE through?   ???

Sure Cheri. Once I get yarn under control, I'll try knitting up some chain mail.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 10:00:04 pm »
Nice to see this crowd has high expectations.

Poor Steve just figured out how to knit a little blanket, and you've already got him creating waterproof bathing caps and full bodysuits.  JEEZ!   :D

I for one am not greedy  ;)   A nice green knit hat will be just fine for me, Steve.  It doesn't even have to be waterproof.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2009, 10:56:48 pm »
If you are wondering how I am doing with the knitting, here is a video of Miriam Tegels, the World's Fastest Knitter, teaching some guys how to knit. I would fit right in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQb9Ax2EcpQ

Steve  ;D
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2009, 08:39:49 am »
Steve,

I would probably do about as well as the dog did in that video! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:39 am »
Competitive knitting!  Who knew!  Steve, you must form a class for the symposium...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2009, 11:03:02 am »
HHHmmm...I guess I won't tell any shark stories then... ;D

There are lots of videos of standup paddlesurfing on youtube. Most are the type that get your adrenaline pumping, lots of hard charging moves, pumping music edited in. This one stands out because it does the exact opposite. An extraordinary day in Guethary, France...very Zen. I had a day very similar to this on Maui back in February. My brother and I and just a few others out at sunset. Beautiful 8 ft glassy waves coming in, humpback whales jumping just 200 ft beyond the break, an unbelievable sunset, as the sun went down it threw sun beams up through the valley we were facing lighting up the clouds and created a huge thick rainbow. It seemed like the air itself was glowing all around us. One of the most awe inspiring natural spectacles I've ever witnessed. I pray for a day like that again. It would have been pretty from the land, but on the water riding a wave it was beyond words. I imagine these folks felt much the same this day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaCXjnGXp14

It always amazed me to watch my Mom knit so effortlessly. She can be sitting there watching TV, carrying on a conversation, while knitting an amazingly complex irish knit sweater. Of course she's had 80+ years of practice so I guess she should be good at it. She made my wife an absolutely beautiful sweater with ridiculously intricate designs on it, a cowl hood and pockets almost 30 years ago. It's still in great shape. My youngest daughter has claimed it and has been wearing it this winter.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:16:24 am by stoneaxe »
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

lori67

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2009, 10:57:58 am »
Stoneaxe,

You'd probably get away with shark stories - just don't mention the snakes and slimy things!   :P

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

cindyj

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2009, 01:31:08 pm »
Amen to that, Lori!

Cindy
feeling great!

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2009, 09:46:35 pm »
Well thankfully I haven't heard of any accounts of shark attacks on standup boards yet. I don't think we look as much like food as a regular surfer does.

This would have had me paddling to shore rather quickly though.

A friend of mine...one of the guys that paddled the CCBC with me was out a couple hundred yards at the beach that we surf frequently. He was just cruising along since there was no surf that day when a 16' great white swam just under his board. He said he could have poked him with his paddle. There are a lot of seals at that beach most of the time and there are bound to be some great whites cruising around occasionally.

I was surfing there the following weekend and couldn't help but keep looking around a little more closely than normal.... ;D
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.

cindyj

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 01:10:29 pm »
I haven't ruled out SUP yet...still trying to "sell" my husband on the idea (and find a used board for sale in Atl), but in the meantime, a friend of mine has convinced me to try a different water sport.  So, this morning, we went down to the Chattahoochee River and signed up for rowing/skulling lessons!  We'll start in late March, so a little warmer, hopefully.  I'm excited, but a bit leary.  Those are the skinniest boats I've ever seen - can't believe they stay upright!  The guy said that balance in the boat is important - if one person if off, that can have quite an effect on the whole boat.  I didn't say a thing about my situation...I'm just hoping I don't "rock the boat" too much!  Will let you know how it goes...I need a Dramamine just thinking about it :-\

Cindy
feeling great!

cindyj

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2009, 12:47:19 pm »
No, they're not canoes, Cheri.  They are MUCH skinnier and most are longer than canoes.  They have those seats that move when you push with your legs - they say it is mainly lower body work.  And, as I mentioned, it's very important to keep the thing balanced.   It's those boats you see often with 8 rowers/scullers and a cockswain (shouting orders) - a beautiful thing to see.  Maybe not so beautiful for me for awhile :D 
Cindy
feeling great!

lori67

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2009, 08:07:53 pm »
Cheri,

I had to laugh when I read your canoe story!

Right before my husband and I got married, we went canoeing on the Charles River in Boston.  I was in front, he was in back and we were weaving back and forth all over the place, not making any progress - I kept yelling at him to steer and he kept telling me the person in the front steers!  I couldn't figure out how a man in the Navy would not know how to steer a canoe, but it turns out he was having fun watching me working my butt off trying to keep us on a straight course while he just sat there relaxing.

When I found this out, I used that oar to get him soaking wet, before putting it down in the canoe and refusing to help him anymore.  I knew eventually he'd get hungry so he'd paddle us back to shore.   His sister and her husband were in another canoe, way ahead of us and said all they could hear was James laughing and me yelling at him!  I'm sure the other boaters and people on the shore thought we were crazy!

And we used your logic too - if we could survive that, we'd probably survive marriage!

Lori

stoneaxe

• Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2009, 11:01:33 pm »
I'm sitting here with a BIG grin from these stories...funny stuff.

Good luck with the rowing sculls Cindy...very fun and FAST...one of the most elegant boats on the water. It was funny hearing the Charles River mentioned in this thread of canoes and rowing sculls too Lori. I grew up on the Charles. The famous Charles River Regatta, the largest of its kind in the world, is an amazing event. 1000's of rowers and 100,000's of spectators make for an amazing weekend. http://www.hocr.org/home/default.asp

A couple of canoe stories...when I was about 14 the extended family and friends were all camping up in Maine and my friend and I had taken a canoe out. We were both experienced from our membership in an organization called Boy Campers (similar to Boy Scouts but with a focus on woodsman/survival skills) and had hundreds of hours in canoes. We had been out 4 or 5 hours a storm was approaching and I guess our parents had gotten nervous. My Dad and brother-in-law decided to come looking for us. Neither of them had ever been in a canoe before. We were already on our way back at that point having seen the oncoming clouds....we came around the point to where we could see the beach just in time to see my father and BIL sink the canoe in about 4 ft of water, rocking it back and forth, each time about 50 gallons pouring over the side until it just sank with the two of them sitting in it. It was one of the funniest things I had ever seen but I knew that laughing was NOT a good idea. We just paddled by and asked if they needed some help. I thought my Dad was going to explode....then he just started to laugh.

I've participated in a canoe race on the Charles about 16 years ago. The Run of the Charles is a great charity event to benefit the Charles River Watershed Association. I was part of a relay team in the 24 mile route. I did two 6 mile sections of the route including the final leg. We were coming in the last five hundred yards just slightly ahead of a couple of much younger guys in a faster/sleeker canoe and I was absolutely beat. The last hundred yards I had nothing left and they were going to catch up and pass us....we were paddling with everything we had but evry stroke they gained a few inches...that was when I picked out my daughters voice (about 10 at the time) out of the crowd on the shore..." COME ON DAD- GO, GO, GO". My partner later said it felt like we all of a sudden had a motor on the canoe. He almost fell over backward. We pulled away  and ended up beating them by a full canoe length. Amazing what the sound of a daughters voice can do... ;D

I'm actually trying to get the organizers of the Run of the Charles to include a standup board division in the race. So far I haven't heard form them...probably won't happen this year. http://www.crwa.org/rotc/rotc.html

lori67

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2009, 09:43:19 pm »
Cheri - you could have been mumbling much worse things at that point!!   :o

When I was telling James about these stories, he reminded me how I yelled "What kind of sailor are you, Gilligan?" at him during the canoe incident! 

Stoneaxe - sounds like you should be trying out for the next season of Survivor!!

Lori