Author Topic: eye make-up  (Read 11314 times)

Karen

eye make-up
« on: October 16, 2008, 06:45:10 pm »
Good news Kaybo about your eye    . One question, since you don't have feeling in your eye how do you know that one drop of         Systyne is enough?  I would like to go longer than two hours  but I am afraid to try.  I just check and see if it looks wet.  What kind of eye makeup are you going to use?  Did you just wear make-up on the good eye before?  How many other people just did the good eye?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: eye make-up
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 06:58:30 pm »
Karen, the one time I tried eye makeup, I ended up poking myself in the eye with the mascara wand. Needless to say I have not tried that again. And now that I have a weight I don't want to put eye shadow on that lid. So my eyes just go naked. I am at peace with that.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 07:17:53 pm »
Hi Karen,
I love makeup and always have. Not too much just enough to enhance my natural beauty.  :o :o Anyway I wear a foundation with spf and I wear makeup on my good eye - would not dare on my AN side. Maybe one day just not yet Sara how come you won't wear shadow with the implant?
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Kaybo

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 07:23:58 pm »
Karen~
As I have said before, I just kind of know when it is getting dry - the vision just gets even more blurry or something.  I probably should put drops in a little more frequently but i just don't stop long enough to do it and it seems to be OK.  I do just wear make-up on my good eye & have for years now.  I am not some make-up drag queen and don't feel like I HAVE to have it - most days I never get it on and don't even think twice about it.  When I do put it on, I am usually in some parking lot somewhere between errands!!  LOL!!  When I worked, I did wear it everyday - & church, meetings, etc. now - sure cuts down on costs!!   ;D  I have worn it on the AN side a couple of times for special occasions.  I had started wearing it some with my old weight when I had the T3.  Sara, why do you not wear it over the weight?  I use Bare Minerals on the other eye and since it suppose to be all good stuff, I'm going to give it a whirl.  It is a little tough because I don't use my right hand as much anymore and had to learn to put my make-up on with my left hand - it does feel awkward trying to put mascara on with the right hand!! Tomorrow is free babysitting at church for couples to have a Date Night so I will try then (if I have time!  LOL!!)  I'll let you know!  Wish me luck!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:44:37 pm »
The skin on my eyelid is very thin, and my ophthalmologist told me it would put me at greater risk for extrusion, so I try to handle my eyelid as little as possible. It would freak me out for the thing to come popping through. I know I am probably way too squeamish about it, but in general my nature is to err on the side of caution.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

lori67

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:38:45 pm »
I'm able to wear make up on my AN eye.  I didn't for a while after the AN surgery, but that was probably more because I didn't feel like it than anything.  I don't wear a lot of it either and it seemed like a good enough excuse to go without!

I started using mascara again as a way to keep my upper lashes up and out of my eye.  The lack of muscle tone made the lashes kinda hang down instead of curling upward, so when I put mascara on, it seems to hold them up there better.  After that I moved on to the "big guns" - eyeliner and shadow.  I got a good liner that's not technically waterproof, but it's probably pretty close.  I haven't had any problems and my eye doctor didn't yell at me last time I was there about it.  I just apply it carefully and make sure I wash it off well at night.

My old motto used to be "just because you're in pain, doesn't mean you have to be one" - I've since changed it to "Just because I feel like crap, doesn't mean I have to look like it!".   ;D  And I speak for myself here - I am sure you are all stunningly beautiful naturally, but I benefit from a little help!  ::)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

calimama

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 01:45:44 pm »
oh... good topic!
since i have started to take off my pirate patch (YAY! double vision is pretty much fixed! double YAY!) i feel kind of funny with my poor old naked open eye. I don't wear much make up, but for me eye liner and mascara (and lipstick) are tough to go without.

I have put a bit of liner under my lower lashes (AN side) but REALLY need mascara. I have short fine lashes (which seem to be getting lighter with age?!). I would love to wear mascara on the AN side but wonder...

- is waterproof better than wash off (my standard)
- would drops make mascara run (or ointment run waterproof stuff).
- is this risky to cornea
- are some brands of mascaras better/less risky than others

anyone tried eye lash curlers?? I did but had trouble getting the lashes in there and they are too short without cosmetic help.

The things we do...
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 02:31:12 pm »
I know that the salve (Refresh PM) just takes it right off.  I use waterproof and if I go on a trip & forget my eye make-up remover, I use the Refresh PM to get it off!!  Drops don't seem to bother it, but I wasn't putting them in too often.  I plan on using waterproof.  I had (before T3) started curling lashes a little trying to "train" them back into shape - mine kind of fall down too.  Sephora has a curler that I read about in People magazine that is more like a little curling wand (uses heat, but not too hot) than the older "crinkle" type.  I would think that would be good at first.  My Dr. said it would be OK as long as you don't poke your eye!!   ;)  Wouldn't really want to do that anyway!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

calimama

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 10:41:58 am »
Thanks Kaybo.

Does it matter what kind/brand of mascara... like maybe better to use one that is for sensitive eyes (or maybe this is just marketing BS) or made from natural ingredients?? Just a thought...

I have never been a fan of waterproof mascara, too much work to get it off, but am feeling ready to convert! Thanks for your thoughts. I will probably ask my opthamologist too, just to be on the safe side.

I also feel like my eye lashes are kind lazy and maybe mascara would help keep them out of the way.

Thanks!
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

lori67

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 10:47:55 am »
I use the waterproof kind.  The regular kind just winds up running if I put drops in and I look like a football player.  I read somewhere that if you have sensitive eyes you shouldn't use waterproof because it can flake, but I haven't had that problem.  It is tougher to get off, but I found a good remover (Clinique) that takes it off without burning your eyes and it also works great at getting rid the greasy feeling from the overnight gel.

I used an eye lash curler for a while, until it mysteriously disappeared, along with a few other make up items (the price you pay for having a 20 year old daughter, I suppose), and I didn't have too much trouble with it.  Now, a heated one - I think I would probably be needing your eye patch after I seriously injured myself!  :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 01:21:46 pm »
I did wear eye make-up and here is the report:

1)  I forgot to mention (b/c I had forgotten) that I do not put mascara on the BOTTOM lashes of my AN eye, but I think that has more to do with having had a stroke and not really being able to use my right hand for fine motor skills - black all over face - NOT good when you are out of the neat little q-tips things that already have make-up remover in them for those little mistakes!!   :o

2)  Everything went GREAT except that last night before bed I realized that my eyelid was "swollen"  -  it actually looks like I have the weight in again.  It is where it was in its "slipped" position.  I put the antibiotic ointment back on it & I will call the Dr. tomorrow.  It is not HUGE & he had said I could wear make-up on that eye, but that is the only thing I can think.

3)  I use Covergirl (green tube) that has the curved wand (I almost put applicator, but that sounded like something else... ::)).  I use Bare Minerals and had used their waterproof mascara for a while but had always used this and it was MUCH cheaper so I went back - I really like it a LOT better - at least for the good eye!

4)  Lori, you big dork - it doesn't get that hot!

OK, that's all I can remember!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 01:04:48 pm »
Kay,

I'm not a big dork - just a big klutz!!!!!   ;D  And a small dork, thank you very much! 

I don't do well with sharp or hot things.  They always result in some sort of painful mishap for me - and I've got the scars to prove it!   :D

Lori

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:48 pm »
Okay, you girls are braver than me.  I am terrified to put mascara near my AN eye!  I can't really close the eye, so I can't envision trying to remove the mascara without it getting in my eye.  Since mascara was the ONE makeup item I could never do without, this has been quite an adjustment for me.  However, having a paralyzed face did make me less self-conscious about not wearing mascara!   :D ;D 

Maybe I'll try to work up my courage to try mascara before the end of the year...

Debbi, living in terror of my mascara wand...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 04:16:33 pm »
Well, Debbi, I can tell you from personal experience that poking yourself in the eye with a mascara wand is one of the more exquisite tortures out there. However, it might just finally bring those long-awaited tears to your affected eye.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:57 pm »
I will be two years in January and I just tried to use my mascara and got an eye infection.....so make sure you get new stuff...my eye doctor was ok with me using the makeup....just not the old stuff :)  I do not have the weight but have the fun stitch in my eye!  so advice, buy new stuff.....

Meagan
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007