Author Topic: Eye Stitched Up  (Read 12399 times)

Kaybo

Re: Eye Stitched Up
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 10:36:43 am »
Meagan-
You can still get a weight if you need one. I got my first 7 YEARS after my AN surgery!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

epodjn

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 04:49:35 pm »
I'm glad to hear it is an easy procedure and I will be back to normal by the next day. I liked the comment about "especially after all we've been through".
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 05:54:54 pm »
Joe.
I would not get my eye stitched with there being better alternatives. I just had the lateral canthal suspension done for both eyes and they stitched my eyes half way shut so that while they healed they would maintain their lift. I only had them like that for a short time but it drove me nuts. It looked unpleasant and felt unpleasant AND I couldn't see very well. If I were you.......try an external lid weight especially if you are attempting to blink on your own and even if you're not it still works by helping the eye to close with gravity. Alot of docs will have you play around with different external weights to see which weight to surgically implant for the gold weight. This way you can take it off periodically and see how your blink is progressing. How are you going to know if and when your blink improves with it stitched up? Just something to think about. I personally think stitching up the eye should be a last resort for those people who can't wear the external weight or for those who can't tolerate the gold/platinum internal weight which I believe most can tolerate these procedures if the eyelid skin is healthy. Now if you're talking about stitching just a little in the outer corner to make the eye surface smaller then that makes sense and can look and feel fine I'm sure as they were going to do this to mine if I opted for that which I did not. It can always be reversed if you hate it but I will say that the stitching of my eyelids together hurt worse than an eyelid weight which I had an internal platinum chain put in. (I now wear an external weight and am blinking pretty good). Plus they stitched up my eyes from the middle towards the inner part of my eye which is pretty tender. Thank God they unstitched them when enough healing had taken place from this last surgery. I guess all in all I am pretty confused as to your doctor's decision to do this procedure instead of the external lid weight........it cost $75 and there's no pain and no risk of infection and YOU CAN BLINK! hence protecting your cornea.
Good luck in making the right decision. You will hear all kinds of advice so just weigh your options carefully.
Angie

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 12:53:54 pm »
Yes to be totally retarded....the weight is to help you blink and maybe with time you blink on your own.....is that right.....???  they are thinking of taking the stitches otu and giving me the contact to help lubricate....my eye almost closes when i make myself blink.....so please share thoughts.....i know you can't really see the weight but that is one of my last worries....cornea protection is #1.....so help :)

5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

epodjn

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 01:15:21 pm »
I guess the real question is what will the stitching help. In my case the drs. think it will help more than a weight because my most serious problem is my extremely droopy bottom lid. Even when I pull my top lid all the way down it doens't come close to meeting my lower lid because it's so droopy. He is just going to take a couple stitches to bring the bottom lid up and help narrow that eye. Right now my left eye is VERY open and has that startled look. This hopefully will make my eye more they size of my good eye and not look so odd. I am going to ask about the external weights though, that might make a good combination if and until my natural blink comes back.
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

moe

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 10:21:44 am »
MEAGAN,
In response to your question, the weight will allow you to close your eyelid down. Sounds like you have a little function there, if you are able to almost close your eye. Hopefully your eyelid tissue will be strong enough at this point to hold a weight in place.
I have the weight, have a very partial blink reflex, and use ointment all of the time to keep my eye lubed. Drops last like 1 minute and then I need more.
And Epodjn-
Sounds good that it will be just a couple of stitches, and maybe the outer weight-looks like a promising plan.
Keep us informed :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty