Author Topic: Transear in Canada  (Read 19080 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Transear in Canada
« on: August 19, 2008, 09:17:48 am »
I just found out I cannot get Transer in Canada and I am soooooo bummed. I wonder if I can just go and get it? They said to check back in 6 - 12 months. I wanted to try it now, my ENT recommended Cros Ear (using two hearing aids). I didn't want anymore surgery (the Baha) so really wanted to try the Transear - grrrrrrrr.
Michelle  :'( :'( :'(
Crying a tear in my beer. :'(  I don't like beer and really only cry out of one eye - what a sight.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

jazzfunkanne

Re: Transear in Canada
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 10:29:59 am »
Hi, we cant get the Transear in the UK either, Rick the General Manager at Transear is hoping to get it over to the uk by the end of 2008, if you want his email let me know. Am like you i dont fancy anymore surgery and i thought this was a answer to my prayers, I have a cros aid but i dont like the idea of two aids, i have a trail for the BAHA on friday.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 03:02:43 pm »
That would be great to have his email and then we could know as soon as it is available. Thanks.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »
Hi there, Mimoore. I'll save you writing me privately by commenting publicly. We do not yet have a support partner in Canada, but we hope to remedy that in 2009. Because bone conduction hearing aids are classified as Class II devices, we need a distributor who can market the product, provide support to hearing healthcare professionals, and handle regulatory issues with your government. We have found such a partner in the UK, and I will be conducting training there in late October. Hopefully we will have similar success in Canada by the end of the first quarter of 2009, but there are no guarantees, of course.

We are as anxious as you are and are flattered by your (and jazzfunkanne's) interest. I don't want to be unprofessional by recommending against CROS hearing aids, but statistically they have very poor retention rates and a high percentage are returned for credit. (My opinion does not apply to BICROS aids, however.)

I can promise we will work diligently to get north of our border as soon as is practical. In the meantime, if you live close to the border we can help you find a U.S. provider for TransEar.

Regards,

Rick Gilbert
VP & GM of Ear Technology/TransEar

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »
Thank you Rick for your response. Is it possible for me to come the the States and get one?
Thanks jazzfunkanne for your help.
I will look forward to more information as it becomes readily available. Good luck with all that is needed to bring it north.
Enjoy your day.
Michelle  ;D

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:32:55 am »
Hi, we cant get the Transear in the UK either, Rick the General Manager at Transear is hoping to get it over to the uk by the end of 2008, if you want his email let me know. Am like you i dont fancy anymore surgery and i thought this was a answer to my prayers, I have a biocros aid but i dont like the idea of two aids, i have a trail for the BAHA on friday.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Elda

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 09:37:19 am »
Michelle- if you hear anything about the TransEar in Canada, or how Canadians can go to the US for one, I would appreciate hearing about it!  Thanks.  Elda, Prince George, BC.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 12:01:26 pm »
For sure!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 07:29:04 pm »
Dear Donnalynn,
I am SSD and have not yet done anything, still researching.
Here are two sites that explain the Transear (no surgery needed) and the Baha (surgery required). Jan has the Baha and I am sure she will tell you how great it has been for her.
Good luck.
Michelle  ;D

http://www.transear.com/

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 09:20:17 pm »
Hi, Donnalynn -

just sent you a PM with a link to my BAHA pictures that I posted on this forum in June.

There are many BAHA users on this forum - Lori, Catflower (Linda), Ellis, Sam Rush, Joef, Sabuck, shygirl all come to mind.

As Michelle mentioned, I absolutely LOVE my BAHA.  The link she gave you is a wonderful link and explains the "technology" behind the BAHA.  I can never explain the medical theory, because I just don't have a head for it (I'm an accountant), but I do know it works wonders.

As I mentioned in my PM, but will tell you again here, the surgery isn't bad at all.  It's a fast, simple outpatient procedure - not at all like AN surgery - and it can be done with either local or general anesthetic.  I opted for local and could have literally walked out of the OR after the procedure if my doc and the nurses would have let me. 

Three months after the surgery I was able to start using my processor (tiny hearing aid) and the rest is history  ;)

Jan
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:22:54 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 09:26:38 pm »
i have a trail for the BAHA on friday.

Jazzfunkanne -

good luck with the BAHA demo.  I think you'll like it  ;D 

Before my demo I had been getting input from other BAHA users on this forum and was pretty sure I wanted to have the surgery.  The demo sealed the deal for me!  I found it truly amazing!

Let us know what you think,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 09:01:18 am »
interesting Jan I didn't know you could have a demo - kewl I wanna try it.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 01:43:13 pm »
Donnalynn, I totally get the whole surgery thing. I am going for a mamogram tomorrow and am dreading walking into a hospital. I haven't had experience wit the Tranear but am eager to hear (pardon the pun) what others have to say. My ENT here in Canada suggested the Cros hearing aid which is wearing two hearing aids, the good ear transmitts to the bad ear (that's what I understood anyway). I don't want to have to wear two if it is not necessary, that I why I am so interested in the Transear. I am waiting to hear more about when it may come available to us here.
Never aplogize for asking questions, we all learn more that way!
Michelle  ;D

calimama

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 05:46:15 pm »
Another Canadian here (Toronto, ON) who may be interested in this option if/when it becomes available.

Thanks for raising this Michelle.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »
Hi Donna-Lynn,
I like Trish live Ontario, I am just North of Toronto. I will certainly let everyone know information as I find it out. I am going to a hearing aid clinic tomorrow for a consultation as well as my mamogram (yippee for me). So I may have more information tomorrow. I also see my ENT in October and I dropped off information about the Transear to her so it will be interesting to see what she has to say. I will keep you posted.
I also went for an interview today for a teaching postion (kindergarten) so I have my fingers crossed. Yes I am SSD but that or my paralysed face (lots of twitching with a tiny movement) is not going to stop me. I am a survior and never give up!!!
Michelle  ;D