Author Topic: Transear in Canada  (Read 19084 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Transear in Canada
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 03:15:36 pm »
That is so great Tammy! Keep us posted and let us know how it goes. My tinnitus is driving me CRAZY!!!!! Come on I am deaf and get this - totally not fair. I can't wait to hear again out of my left ear.
Santa is watching be a good girl.  :o
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2008, 06:40:11 pm »
Hello Michelle et al,

Any change in the status of Transear in Canada?  This non-surgical option does sound intriguing.  Curious to know if anyone out there has tried both Transear and BAHA.  And if anyone using BAHA wears their hair really short or are bald.  Having what appears to be the equivelent of a jack in your skull, I would think, comes with some challenges.  Rain / showers an issue?  How do you clean it?

I'm hoping to have options available, should I choose to not just live with SSD.

Cheers!

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

sgerrard

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2008, 07:48:04 pm »
And if anyone using BAHA wears their hair really short or are bald.  Having what appears to be the equivelent of a jack in your skull, I would think, comes with some challenges.  Rain / showers an issue?  How do you clean it?

I can't believe my luck, I get to spring the answer to the question on cleaning a BAHA mounting post.

You use a toothbrush and Dawn dish-washing liquid. Wait, the Dawn might be to get out the antibiotic you apply after the surgery. Maybe you can use regular soap after that. I don't really know what I am talking about, but I'm pretty sure a toothbrush enters the picture somewhere.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2008, 08:26:51 pm »
Hi,

I wear my hair short and have no trouble concealing my BAHA -- my processor is the Intenso model, which is larger than the Divino model. There's a good range of processor colors -- I have the brown which matches my hair color quite well. The abutment -- the titanium thing that's attached to your head is quite unobtrusive. I have to say that the thought of having an implant in my skull seemed a bit creepy at first -- but the reality is that it's no big deal.

The processor is not water proof, though I met someone yesterday who accidentally jumped in a swimming pool with his processor attached ... realized it as soon as he hit the water, got out immediately and dried the processor with a hair dryer. He said it's been working fine ever since. I don't plan on trying that out. But the story presents a good point -- you get so used to wearing the processor that you aren't really aware of it.

Re: the cleaning process -- I wash my hair every day and have had absolutely no problems with infection (knock on wood); a soft toothbrush is supplied by the manufacturer, but (per my doctor's advice, by the way) I've never had to use it. I remember using a little bit of antibiotic for a couple of days after the surgery, but have used nothing since. I believe that some people have occasional problems with tenderness or infection -- I'm among those who don't. In general, I think of my BAHA as analagous to my contact lenses --- I'm extremely careful with the equipment, wash my hands thoroughly, and have a set routine. I've been using my BAHA since June, I really like it, and I don't even think about it that much anymore -- it's become part of my life.

Best wishes as you make your decision!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2008, 10:06:01 pm »
Ken -

Steve is correct.  Post op you can clean your BAHA abutment (titanium post) with Dawn dish detergent to get the antibiotic ointment out.  Antiobiotic ointment is quite greasy and the Dawn cuts this grease.  Some patients use Dawn in place of shampoo after their AN surgery since you also typically put antibiotic ointment on your incision/scar.

You can also use a very soft toothbrush to clean your abutment.  Post op, before I got my processor and my handy dandy gift pack from Cochlear with my "official toothbrush" (it's blue with the name Cochlear on it), I purchased some baby toothbrushes and they did the trick quite nicely.

Once your BAHA site is healed and you aren't using antibiotic ointment any more you can just use regular shampoo and clean your abutment when you wash your hair.  You can use the toothbrush Cochlear provides or you can use a soft washcloth.

I wear my hair short and it covers my processor, but I'm a woman, so as a man you'd probably wear your hair even shorter.  There are pictures of my BAHA site and processor on the forum - both attached and unattached to my head - that you might find interesting.  But I thought I'd send you the link to Bucko's (sabuck's) BAHA photos instead, since I thought it would be more helpful for you to see it attached to a man's head.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=c12fbffbe1ab8b876011a2ea53b7612a&topic=6833.0

Joef also has pictures of his BAHA that he PM'd to me before my BAHA surgery - perhaps he'll send them to you if you ask him.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2008, 06:37:15 am »
Dear Ken:

I will likely be 4-6 months before the regulatory issues come full circle in Canada, but I feel very confident that we will be offering TransEar in Canada by summer of next year. Of course we hope it will be sooner, but governments tend to move rather slowly - on both sides of the border - so we are cautious in our estimates.

Regards,

Rick Gilbert

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2008, 10:04:17 am »
Hi Rick,
Thanks for keeping us posted. I am so excited and am trying to be patient. Looking forward to the day I can hear out of my left ear again.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

tenai98

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 05:55:37 am »
hip hip hooray....transear in Canada....Now  a question on the BAHA...can one swim with the abutment only???? 
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 06:30:57 am »
Donnalynn:

No, 100% loss in the bad ear is not needed. We have fit a number of individuals who still have some residual low frequency hearing left on the bad side, and the programming is adjusted by the audiologist to compensate. We also typically add a larger vent in what we call the transfer unit. Most important is the hearing in the better ear, where we like to see thresholds of 30 dB or better out through 2K Hz. This is the ear that "hears" the energy coming from the bad side, so it must still be in good condition. There is a complete FAQ on our web site at http://www.transear.com. It also contains information on the new model, and it describes several other FDA-approved conditions where TransEar can be utilized. I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Rick Gilbert

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 06:31:30 am »
Yes, the processor is not waterproof and must be removed for swimming, showering, etc. The abutment is permanently attached to your head, so it does whatever you do!

Catherine (JerseyGirl2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
Re: Transear in Canada - the wait is over!
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »
To Mimoore, donnalynn, ken, and the many others who have inquired about TransEar in Canada, I'm pleased to resurrect this topic with news that we are finally ready!

We are happy to announce that Bernafon Canada Ltd. will be our Canadian distributor. I'll provide contact information here if the moderator OKs it, or those interested can send me a private email to which I'll reply quickly.

Woo-hoo!     :D

TransEarXpert (Rick)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2010, 02:04:19 pm »
w00t! is right, Rick! thanks for keeping everyone updated.

Noting here where disti info for CAN for Transear should be fine, as we share info here for other types of assistance for AN'ers.  this "Mod" votes yes to post it here.  People can also PM you here if they want to contact you directly for add'l info.

Well done it getting Transear to CAN. About time! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2010, 02:31:46 pm »
Phyl has allowed me to post the "official" news bulletin for those members in Canada who have been so patient with us. Here goes:

We are pleased to announce that Bernafon Canada Ltd. has been appointed as the Canadian distributor of TransEar. Regulatory issues are complete! We do not have a list of specific providers yet, and it will probably take some time for Bernafon to establish a complete network. But it shouldn't be too much longer to have major Canadian cities represented by at least one provider.

Anyone interested can contact Bernafon toll-free at 1-800-265-8250 or by email (am@bernafon.ca) for further information on provider availability. In the U.S., we found that inquiries from ANA-ers really sped the start-up process up, and I’m sure that Bernafon will be happy to send your current hearing healthcare provider an information packet on request. That will be the quickest way to get professional relationships established.

I'm available to assist wherever needed, preferably by private email. Good luck to all.

Rick (TransEarXpert)

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2010, 06:31:30 pm »
Exciting News Rick!
Thanks for updating us!
I have made my appointment! I will keep you all posted.
I am soooo happy.
Michelle  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Vivian B.

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
Hello everyone. I can't believe that the transear works with no surgery. I have been psyching myself up for when it's time to do something about my hearing aid and was not too thrilled with the baha surgery. I am so grateful for everyone's information on this thread and to mimoore for looking into it and to Rick for all his support and everyone else's input.  Please keep us all informed.

Vivian
Toronto, Ontario
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.