Author Topic: Transear in Canada  (Read 19076 times)

Jeanlea

Re: Transear in Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 07:47:45 pm »
Hi Donna-Lynn,

I have a TransEar.  It looks like a behind the ear hearing aid, but it works through bone conduction.  You only need one in the deaf ear.  You get it from an audiologist.  They put something in your ear to get a mold of your ear to help them make the hearing aid.  In about two weeks you will get your TransEar.  I chose it because I didn't want anything permanent in my head.  The TransEar can be put in and taken out easily when you chose.  I don't know of any studies that have compared it to BAHA, but from the comments I've heard about both it seems that they are similar in hearing gain.  Either one, BAHA or TransEar, is a matter of personal choice.  I've heard of people that are happy with both of them.  I've had mine now for 1 1/2 years and am very happy with it.  It seems to get better over time as your brain becomes adjusted to it.  If you have more questions send me a PM and I'd be happy to answer them.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 08:56:21 pm »
Hi Donna-Lynn,

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and I'm glad to see you are posting now. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about it, and don't worry about posting in the wrong place or anything.

I know very little about BAHAs and TransEars, except that I think having a BAHA mounted on your head is cool.  8)

I'm not from Canada either, so I'd better scoot now.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 09:01:48 pm »
Steve,

We'll make you an honouree Canadian, won't we girls :-*  Its amazing how many of us are on this forum.  WOW!!! and Thank God for this forum!

Welcome DonnaLynn again,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:11 pm »
Michelle -

yes, there is a BAHA demo!  It's basically the processor (aka tiny hear aid) attached to an elastic headband - since no doc would want to perform the real surgery in order to give a patient a demonstration  :D

I've told the story lots of times, but I'll retell it for all you newbies.

The day of my demo, the doc put the headband on my head and told me to plug my "good" ear with my finger.  Then he sat across from me and talked.  Having heard nothing out of my deaf ear for 4 months, it was absolutely amazing to me that I could hear every word he said.  From that moment I was hooked.

I would have had the surgery that very day if it would have been a possibility, but it took another 5 months to get approval for the surgery and the processor from my insurance company - it normally takes 4 to 6 weeks.  While I hated waiting 5 months, it was worth it to only pay $400 in deductible.

As Jean mentioned, BAHA vs TransEar is a personal choice.  There are those who couldn't imagine having a hole drilled into their skull and a titanium abutment implanted, but there are those who couldn't imagine wearing a hearing aid in their ear.  In addition, there are those who adjust to being SSD just fine and they opt to remain that way.  You need to do what is best for you.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 07:01:31 am »
Thanks Jan
I am seeing the audiologist today so I will pick his brain.  :o
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Boppie

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2008, 10:05:17 am »
There is a TransEar provider in Williamsville, New York, which is only 12 miles
away from Buffalo.  Will this help?

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 02:51:14 pm »
Hmmmm that is interesting. I went to the audiologist today and of course they don't have it here in Canada so they suggested the Cros Hearing aid (your wear two and one is just a reciever), Both here would cost me $1200.00. I may do it while I wait for the Transear to come. Seems dumb to buy one thing- get used to it and then switch. My other option is to drive to the States and get it but what about follow up? I hear it can be a bit finicky at first and they need to sand areas down that bother your ear. A snug fit is necessary, so I don't know (thinking out loud here). The Cros is just a tiny thing in the ear and of course a device behind the ear. Not quite as big as a regular one.
does anyone have experience with the Cros?
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

carol beverley

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 12:01:49 am »
Hi Mimi.  I don,t know what Transear is...but my son wears a Widex digital hearing aid....works as a pharmacaeutical rep so needs to block out some noises but hear all the other voices as well.  IT WORKS.  NO SURGERY.... Looke up Widex on the web. It is available in Canada and is partially covered by health insurnce.  Carol

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 02:25:36 am »
Hi jan, the trial for the baha was really good the sound was so clear, i have till oct to make up my mind , as i said its the thought of more surgery to my head.
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2008, 06:36:46 am »
ps , jan do you noticed the baha when wearing it does your hair cover it ? thanksx
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 01:54:32 pm »
Michelle:

I am in discussions with a major Canadian company, and we will be building one for a test patient in Ontario next week. If all goes well - and I think it will - there will be a (worst case) 6 month process to go through the regulatory process. Early spring looks like a good bet at this time for wide-scale distribution north of the border. 8)

Regards,

Rick Gilbert

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 03:12:48 pm »
Yippee can't wait.....keep us posted please Rick.
Thanks Michelle  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 06:21:26 pm »
Excellent news from Rick about the Transear!!!  ;D

jfanne -

yes, my hair does cover my BAHA and I wear my hair fairly short.  Pictures can be found at this link http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6634.msg65388#msg65388

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tenai98

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2008, 10:54:57 am »
Yes, yes, please keep us  Canadians posted on the transear... ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Tamara

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2008, 07:24:32 pm »
I had the BAHA surgery this last Thursday.  It was a piece of cake compared to the AN surgery.  I had my translab on June 12, so it was about 3 1/2 months after.  So hopefully this will allay any concerns about physically being able to have BAHA surgery soon after AN surgery.  Psychologically, it might be tougher if you had a rough go with the AN surgery.

So far, I LOVE the implant.  Even though I won't get the processor for 3 months, when I touch the cap of the implant, ever so slightly, I can hear a "skritchy skritchy" noise in my good ear.  It is SO COOL!  I am looking forward to getting the transmitter.  Maybe Santa will bring it for Christmas - that's the right time frame!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...