Author Topic: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...  (Read 59390 times)

mimoore

• Believe!
Re: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 05:56:32 pm »
Hahahahahah You crack me up Jim!!! ;D ;D ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

wendysig

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2008, 08:32:29 am »
Jim --
That was really funny!

Marci --
Good luck with your highlights.  I'm sure they'll look great and solve your two-tone problem!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 07:58:56 am »
Alas, I checked with the doctor and he said two months, so one more month of two-toned hair for me!  I'll get a good haircut at the very least....
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 08:17:18 am »
marci~
So sorry - that stinks!  I guess it is better to be safe than sorry though - you know "it is your brain" - that is what my doctor told me before surgery!
When I just had the T3, the doctor said wait 4 weeks - which I hadn't thought about it before surgery (plus I guess there wouldn't have been time) so it REALLY needed to be done!  THEN I had all that trouble & was back in Houston when I had my new appointment - I thought I was going to cry - all over my hair!!  I finally got it done.  Everybody talked about how great I looked (b/c of the surgery) but I think it was b/c my hair was finally fixed!!  LOL!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 08:47:52 am »
Marci -

glad you asked your doctor.

Although we are full of advice here on the forum, none of us (with the exception of Sam Rush) are doctors so it's always best to check with yours for a question like this.

Sorry you have another month to go, but I'm sure you look just great without the hair color.  I actually stopped coloring my hair shortly before my BAHA surgery in March and I've found it very liberating - no roots to deal with and I'm surprisingly not as gray as I thought I was  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 09:06:26 pm »
Hi Marci,
Sorry to hear you have to wait another month before you can get your hair colored.  As many have said  it is always best to check with your doctor -- he's the boss and knows best  and it's why he gets paid the big bucks.  I'm sure your haircut will look great and give your a big boost anyway!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
Wow!  Doctors get paid big bucks  ???  Who knew?  :D   ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist   ;D

Jan

BTW - most of them are worth every penny.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2008, 11:04:22 pm »
That stinks ya have to wait!  I'm glad you asked the doc anyhow.  Hey, I have my clippers ready when you are!  Never underestimate the power of really short (almost bald) hair!  I do my own hair each time, to dry it I wipe it off once with a towell, and NO STYLING AFTERWARDS!  And the best yet, it shows everyone your bada$$ scar on your head! Who could ask for more? ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 05:39:19 am »
Hey Marci,

Official licensed hairdresser here... off the scalp color (ie: Highlights by foil/cap/saran) is a good choice. There are also non-peroxide temp colors you can use (Roux is wash out and only application by application) if you want some kind of overall coverage.

In my case, my bloke wants to see my natural color (now, keep in mind this.... he is over 80% colorblind!  Like he could tell?  :o  )... so, I'm letting the *ugh!* gray hairs pop in... (trust me, at this rate, it won't be for long)....Another thought... hair grows on average (again, "individual results may vary...") 1/2 inch per month... so, you can either hang tough... or try the off-the-scalp highlights (post-surgery, I'd stay clear of cap and go for the foils).... try Roux (picked up at beauty supply and some drugstore chains in the hair color aisle, usually bottom shelves)....

*takes off cosmetologist cap*

Ok, I'm done!  Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pembo

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:06:03 am »
Marci, Have you checked out Dr. M's hair? He doesn't know much about grooming. LOL I'd take the consensus here and go for foils. :)

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 12:43:00 pm »
Pembo that is hilarious. 

I'm getting it cut tomorrow (I'm in Florida visiting my mom, who hasn't seen me since before surgery--she keeps feeding me!!)  I'll wait the requisite 8 weeks and even then I'll only do highlights.  That's what I usually do anyway. I may be 49 but I don't have any gray hair yet--it's a genetic thing, my mom is 69 and she doesn't have any either. My grandfather was well into his late 70's before he turned gray.  I inherited plenty of bad genes so I'm happy with the one good gene!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2008, 03:56:44 pm »
Lucky girl you.....I have great skin, thick hair and tons of grey!!!

Thank goodness my girlfriend is a hairdresser....because she keeps my secret :P

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 09:42:35 pm »
does henna cover grey?
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 05:20:18 am »
Henna will, somewhat, cover the grays.  henna is plant-based color and exceptionally safe to use with no chance of chemicals (ie: Hydrogen peroxide, etc). You cannot use harsh shampoos or hard water when washing your hair with it as it will tend to strip away the color sooner than later.  The red tones can be rather pretty.

Phyl, your resident, licensed cursed cruise director and cosmetologist :)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 03:50:46 pm »
I had my hair tinted a week before my surgery and had it done two weeks after my staples were pulled.  I used a 10 volume developer, just to deposit color, no lift needed.  It didn't cause any problems.  The problem would have been if I hadn't done it!  I was depressed enough without out adding the new grays hairs that sprouted after the surgery!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT