Author Topic: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...  (Read 59583 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...
« on: August 17, 2008, 07:17:51 am »
Ok, since this seems to be the BEST place for answers--when is it safe to have my hair colored?  I'm not grey, but my dark brown roots are pretty unattractive...
Thanks,
Two-toned Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:38:39 am »
Marci -

there have been a lot of posts about this topic on the forum.

Generally it's safe to color your hair when your incision is completely healed.

If in doubt whether you're completely healed or not, check with your doctor.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:10:29 am »
Marcy,

I'm playing it safe by waiting 3 months post-op.

Stl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

MAlegant

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 09:27:59 am »
In two more months it will be pretty hideous.  Oh well.  I'll start a fad.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:33:45 am »
Marci,

Are you colouring your hair yourself or going to the hairdresser?  My girlfriend is a hairdresser and this is what we did.  I got gauze cut it to cover the scar used surgical tape to adhere to my head.  Covered the gauze with plastic wrap and used more surgical tape.  It works trust me.  If you are colouring your hair yourself get your husband to help.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 09:36:47 am »
Marci,

That was one of the first questions I asked my doctor when I went for a check-up at two or three weeks.  He said it was fine.  I had my daughter help me so I kept it out of my eye.  That went a long way to helping me feel better.  Do you get your whole head wet when shampooing?  I would think that if you can do that, then you can color your hair.

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 10:31:09 am »

Hii Marci,

I asked my doctor this question prior to surgery and he told me four to six weeks depending on how well I was healing.  Anne Marie's advice sounds like it would be safe through.  In my opinion, to be completely sure you should check with your doctor.

"Are you colouring your hair yourself or going to the hairdresser?  My girlfriend is a hairdresser and this is what we did.  I got gauze cut it to cover the scar used surgical tape to adhere to my head.  Covered the gauze with plastic wrap and used more surgical tape.  It works trust me.  If you are colouring your hair yourself get your husband to help."

Anne Marie - thanks for the advice -- I am going gray but only in front (why can't we start going gray in the back of our heads where we don't have to look at it?) and my roots are just starting to show.  I may try your idea in a couple of weeks.  I'd love to do it sooner but am concerned about my leaky head.  Even gray roots aren't worth taking chances for.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

NL

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 11:53:53 am »
Hi Marci,

I read something about waiting at least 4 weeks on one of the handouts I received, but haven't really thought about it since I'm not there yet.

I just have to say how great it is to have these questions asked by others a few weeks ahead of me post-op - and to have all this advice before I ever have to ask!

Anne Marie - I'll be sure to bring the gauze, plastic wrap, and surgical tape to my next hairdresser's appointment - great idea.

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008, 12:43:50 pm »
H iMarci,

I had a different surgery, microvascular decompression (MVD) for hemifacial spasm, but it also involves a cranioplasty. Here is an excerpt from the Ask the Doctors column at the HFS Association website:

13 Q. How long following MVD must a patient wait before coloring their hair?

A. A patient should wait three (3) weeks after the operation before having hair colored.

(Source: Peter J. Jannetta, MD, Department of Neurosurgery, Allegheny General Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA (USA) - (05/17/01)

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MAlegant

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 01:07:22 pm »
Fabulous news.  I'm having it cut this weekend and I'll wait on the color for another week.  That will put me at 5 weeks or so.  I'll also double check with the doc.  I can just have the highlights done in the front and avoid the whole area as well.
Thanks all,
Not two-toned for long,
Marci

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2008, 02:30:14 pm »
Marci-

Just make sure you ask your surgeon before you do color.  I had to wait 3 months (yes, it was horrible!) but that was because I had the post surgical infection in my incision.  Even then, I had my colorist avoid the inch of hair near the incision.  You REALLY don't want to get any chemicals on the incision until it is completely closed.

And, I will tell you that the first post surgical hair coloring is a day to celebrate!!  My face may scare small children, but at least my hair looks great again!!   ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 03:23:58 pm »
Marci I am a primary teacher (2yrs) and a hairdresser (15 yrs). When in doubt ask your doctor before colouring your hair. I have highlights so you put a cap on pull the hair through and then apply the solution. I personally feel that putting colour (chemicals) directly on your scalp before everything is healed would not only be irritating to the newly healed skin but would also be absorbed into your skin more easily which cannot be good. If you need to colour your hair I would (or ask the hairdresser to) totally avoid that area. I feel strongly about the chemical thing because deep in my heart I feel that I got a tumour because I inhaled (hair colour) chemicals for so many years. Just my opinion.
Michelle  ;D
Highlights are a good way to blend in your two tones. If you haven't any grey it is a great alternative and less upkeep. Good luck.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

MAlegant

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:42 pm »
Michelle,
Thanks so much!  I was thinking just highlights and avoid that area totally?  How does that seem?  And yes, I will check with the doctor first, no worries there. 

I hope today is a good day for you--I've had a string of good ones but today sucked.  Can I say that?  ;D  My supposedly numb face feels awful--what tinnitus would feel like if it were on your skin.  Ugh. There is alcohol in my future tonight.  (For me that means one beer; I'm a pretty cheap date!)  Let me know what you think of the highlight idea.

Best,
Marci

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 04:05:23 pm »
Highlights are a great idea, you can get foils with two colours. A light and a dark so it will blend your colour that is growing in. If you decide to go with the cap (which is also nice) ask if they use the rubber cap (it is painful). In my salon I use a disposable cap and it is not painful at all. You can message me and I can give you a couple of ideas for colour. Having your hair done will make you feel so much better and although today sucked tomorrow is a new day - sleep well and remember you are strong. I tell my self everyday: My body is an amazing and wonderful machine and I am a great healer! and soon enough I will believe it. Positive thoughts help healing -go get a funny movie girlfriend.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2008, 04:17:27 pm »
We interrupt this thread for a word from our moderator:

I hope today is a good day for you--I've had a string of good ones but today sucked.  Can I say that?

You already did - but it's O.K.  Just don't use any of that dirty French street talk, vous rebelles. ;)

Now back to our regularly scheduled AN post-op grooming thread.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.