Author Topic: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...  (Read 59693 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Oh please tell me it's safe to color my hair...
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 01:14:36 pm »
K - You've piqued my curiosity - what's 'threading' of the eyebrows ?     Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

NL

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 01:25:16 pm »
Hi K,

I met a woman at work who had this done. I didn't completely get it, but it sounds like they wrap thread around the hairs and pull - is that right?

Wait until Brian hears about this one!  :o

Another curious Nancy (L)
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Kaybo

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2008, 05:36:49 pm »
It is very intriguing!!  They take a long piece of thread (just like you were going to sew something) and then make a triangle around both thumbs & in their mouth - the bottom has 2 strings.  I have never known for sure if it pulls the hair out or if it cuts it SUPER close - I think it is pulled out.  I can't really ask about the whole process (you know I would) because they don't really communicate in English.  Boy, I know they are always talking about me though b/c their tongues start wagging when I go in with my "funny face"!!  LOL!!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2008, 04:07:19 pm »
Yeah, they're probably saying "Here comes that glutton for punishment wanting us to rip out her eyebrows with string again!".   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Tamara

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2008, 05:35:15 pm »
I'm sorry.....WHY would you want to have your eyebrows threaded???  That sounds really painful, at least on your non-AN side, Kaybo!  BTW, while I don't do much by the way of eyebrows (as long as I actually have two of them, it works for me), I DID color my hair today.  Finally got rid of the grey temples on my AN side that I didn't color before surgery, because my dr said it would be shaved.  It wasn't and it looked kind of silly. That's one more thing crossed off the list!

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2008, 06:05:26 pm »
Yeah, they're probably saying "Here comes that glutton for punishment wanting us to rip out her eyebrows with string again!".   :D

Thanks for this superb translation, Lori  ;)  I'll bet K feels much better about going to the threading place now  :D  Better her than me  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2008, 06:23:41 pm »
Actually, it is not that bad - just that second when I can feel it again.  Of course, I say that, but when I took my friend (she & her new hubby were living in Houston at the time) I thought that she was going to jump out of the chair & run screaming out of the salon - I don't think she went back!!  I did get a PM from "konnie" and she had some very good points to ponder about the downside of threading (mainly sanitary issues - YEAK!).  I haven't been able to get there the last coouple of years...I'll really think aboout it now.  I have been getting my brows waxed (which is not supposed to be good for your tender, eyelid skin) - if I had to pay that much money to get my eyebrows symmetrical, I want people to see them & think they look good!!!   ;D  VAIN, I know...{sigh}

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2008, 07:42:37 am »
What's wrong with tweezing and/or waxing?  Does threading them do a better job?
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2008, 08:11:24 am »
*puts on cosmetologist cap again*

I know of those that do threading to help "raise" their low hairlines (ex: from a "2 finger" hairline to "3 finger" hairline... widens the hairline from the face)... but to thread the eyebrows, in all honesty, to me, does not make sense, esp. since it's in a sensitive area and too close to the eye (again, hygiene comes into place and don't want you all to get an eye infection).  Personally, I'd stick with tweezing/waxing for eyebrows... but if you want to raise your hairline, then you could try threading. Threading is a definate "owwy".

Just my 2 cents
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2008, 08:15:35 am »
Phyl~
I didn't know it had anything to do with hairline - I just did it for my eyebrows!!  I doubt I will do it again!

Marci~
Hot wax on the sensitive skin is not supposed to be the best!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

NL

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2008, 01:18:07 pm »
This is all really interesting - but I think I'm just going to be old-fashioned and stick to the tweezers. It's only painful when I can't find the magnified mirror and end up plucking my skin!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

Kaybo

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2008, 06:35:23 pm »
OUCH!!!!    :o

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2008, 07:21:55 pm »
The next time I get accused of majorly hijacking a thread, I want all you guys to remember this topic.

You have gone from coloring hair to threading, waxing, and tweezing eyebrows!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great - proves you all can hijack with the best of them  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2008, 08:22:15 pm »
Jan,

Its all beauty related.....therefore it isn't a hijacking :P  Think about it?

Beside I love to hear a man moan in pain.  I really think we got to Brian.  Too funny!!!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:40 pm »
We could always rename the thread: pre and post op grooming issues...what do you think?
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.