Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 35527 times)

er

Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2008, 08:17:30 am »
Thank you Jan you are right.
Eve

lori67

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2008, 09:49:35 am »
Like being scalped?   :o  I think I prefer thinking of my head being drilled.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:31 pm »
Okay, Lori - I'll admit that neither being scalped nor being drilled is an optimal way to look at it.  Actually prior to the surgery a few people told me it was similiar to being scalped, and since I agree, I usually go with that description.

How would you describe your BAHA surgery in relation to your AN surgery?

And, please, try to be serious here   ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

shygirl

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2008, 02:09:08 pm »
I would definitely say BAHA surgery was more like being "scalped", because I had the hole drilled and the screw placed during my AN surgery. So, I suppose I was "scalped" twice?! Sounds like our Drs were Indian carpenters!!

Shye
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2008, 03:14:37 pm »
I like to think of my Baha site as being "sculpted" and my titanium abutment as my hip body piercing. I think those of us with titanium screws in our skull have the ultimate body piercing. I feel like a hip 53 year old.  :D 
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

lori67

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2008, 04:42:34 pm »
Hmmm.. let's see, BAHA compared to AN surgery...AN was like an overnight rest (9 hours) and the BAHA surgery was more like a quick catnap...(1 hour).

What happened while I was asleep - who knows...I like the "sculpting" idea though.  Sounds very artistic.. ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2008, 08:45:54 pm »
"Sculpting" is a very interesting word for BAHA surgery.  It sounds better than scalping, but I still stand by scalping since it's more like what happened  ;)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2008, 09:36:58 am »
Jan,

I was just trying to lighten it up a little. Yep it is a scultping-scalp!  :D
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2008, 03:15:28 pm »
Totally understand, sabuck.

Scalping is very blunt, but it's a good way to get across the concept that your head isn't reopened - since lots of people (me included) can't imagine another surgery like the AN surgery.

Guess I should try to find some kinder, gentler word though  :)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2008, 04:10:02 pm »
Instead of scalping...how about an avante garde name like "acoustic sculpture" for the Baha procedure.  ;D

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2008, 05:37:31 pm »
That is sooo sad, Kay. 
I HATE to hear when bad things happen to kids.....but unfortunately they do.
I have my appointment with my NEW surgeon tomorrow (Wed), that I haven't met yet.
Surgery is 16 days away, if he still says it's a go....and I don't know why he wouldn't.  He has talked to the other surgeon I had an appt. with.  I'm making up my lists of questions now.
Thanks so much, Jan, for taking the time to post those pictures.
That helps so much to learn about it.
Bless everyone here!
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

Glenda

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2008, 07:16:29 pm »
Hey Jan!!!

I love the pics!!!!  I must say I was very skeptical too about a BAHA but since seeing yours it doesn't look as scary as I imagined.  It's always great to have pictures and get a true image instead of going with your imagination which can get a bit scarrrrrryyyyyyy........ Like the bolts on Frankensteins neck........... :o :o

I haven't signed on much lately as it's been so hectic.  I am stuck in the hospital with my hubby now.  We have been here since 6:00 am last Friday the 6th and this place is getting kinda old.  I haven't left him and have been taking showers and living here with him and to tell you the truth my butt is going numb sitting in the chair. ;D  I will have to catch up on what is going on with you guys.... I'm so glad you like your BAHA!!!  Had you ever tried any other device before this and if so what is the comparison?

Glenda
Diagnosed 5 mm AN  Jan 2008
Deep in IAC
June 2010 7 mm
July 2011 8.5 mm
July 2012 1.1 cm
Nov 28, 2012 Mid Fossa Surgery Wake Forest Baptist Hospital-Winston-Salem NC, Dr John Wilson and Dr Eric Oliver

SSD tinnitus dizziness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2008, 10:50:15 pm »
Lacey -

you are welcome.

Good luck with tomorrow's appt.  BTW, what happened to the OLD doctor?  I think I missed something somewhere along the line.

Glenda -

good to "see" you again.  The BAHA is cool - my brothers say I'm bionic now  :D  It really isn't scary at all - just different.  I mean, how many people do you know with a titanium post in their head? 

To answer your question, I have never tried any other kind of device before this.  My surgery was in May 2007 and once I found out I was SSD I decided that the BAHA was the way to go.  My doc also mentioned the Cros and the Transear, but I didn't seriously look into either one.   Although they are good options for others, I just decided it was the BAHA or nothing for me.  Since I couldn't stand the "nothing", I went with the BAHA.  I'm happy I did  :)

I'm sorry to hear your hubby is in the hospital - hope everything's okay.

Good luck with the numb butt LOL

Jan 

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2008, 05:25:45 pm »
Jan -
My doctor in my town that found the tumor, called and scheduled me with a "friend" of his who is a surgeon at Michigan Ear.  I saw that doctor the next day.  It was actually on this site, that a few people who had gone to Michigan Ear recommended to me to change surgeons.  The one that I saw first, was kinda young, and hadn't done all that many surgeries.  They all recommended a Dr. Laroure.  I wasn't that impressed with the first surgeon - Dr. Babu, so I called and changed doctors.
It didn't seem to be a problem at all.....and I love this new surgeon.  I feel so much better now, knowing that this surgeon has been doing them for 30 years!! 
I learned alot today.  This doctor recommended translab.  My tumor is 1.4cm in size.  He said the way it is posiitioned is a "pouch" that is starting to go into the spinal fluid.  I also found out I have a 45 percent hearing loss already.  I'm sure the doctor in my town said it was a 20 percent loss.....but maybe "if" the tumor is growing, it is causing more loss???   I don't know, just guessing.
I'm just so glad I was able to change doctors.  I feel better already, since talking to him.
He seems to gentle, and kind. 
Thanks for asking, and I'm so thankful for this site.  I hope everyone else is doing ok.
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2008, 06:00:29 pm »
It is wonderful feeling more confident. You just can feel when things start going together correctly.

Take care,

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK