Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 35420 times)

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2008, 12:26:05 pm »
Hi,

Last month the AN support group of Phoenix had a meeting and they featured the Baha! They passed it around, letting us attach and detach it from a mounted abutment.  They gave us all the literature, showing the different colors and all that comes with it. I was amazed at how small it was! They put the dealio (scientific name  ;D) on our heads to see how the sound transfers around the skull. They couldn't find my "sweet spot" and other's were waiting so I sent them on. however, my husband DID get the effects though and was very impressed!

It was so good to hear your account and see the pictures from someone  who is using it and that I "know".

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »
They put the dealio (scientific name  ;D) on our heads to see how the sound transfers around the skull.

The only scientific name I know for the demo is "the demo" - even my doc called it that and he's generally into using scientific terms - mainly because he actually understands what they mean - unlike me  :D

Trying the demo "sold" me and seeing the BAHA on a person was also very impressive.  I saw my first one at a local ANA meeting - the user very generously showed hers to me; took it off and on; and answered my questions.  The meeting was on another topic and she just happened to say she had a BAHA.  I was amazed, because I had no idea she was wearing one - I pictured it as much larger.  I almost didn't ask her about it because I felt kind of rude - in fact my opening statement was "I know this is really rude, but" - she was perfectly fine with me asking.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2008, 12:42:49 pm »

Jan (tougher than Lori - give her time, she's younger) LOL

Why, yes I am, Jan....  :P

I went to a Silent Dinner a few weeks ago - it's a monthly social thing put on by the League for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in the area - each month they (the Deaf community) meet at a local mall food court for dinner and socialization (and discounts on food  ;D) and my sign language teacher likes to make us students suffer through trying to communicate with the Deaf.  The Deaf find it humorous as well.  Anyway, I met a man there who recently had a Cochlear Implant done and we were comparing our "hardware". I'd never actually seen a Cochlear Implant but it's really impressive.  And it turns out he goes to the same surgeons and the same audiologist I go to.  So, I completely agree that educating people about these things is a great way to give back.  You just never know what little nugget of information might make a big difference to someone.

And really, it IS kinda cool to say you have a bolt in your skull!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2008, 06:59:59 pm »
Hi again Lori and Jan,
I have to say I knid of envy you.  As far as I can tell there are no actual support groups anywhere near me.  I think I saw an upcoming meeting sometime in June with a presentation about BAHA somewhere on Long Island on the Cochlear website but it's about two hours away from me.  I might just ciheck it out anyway if it doesn't conflict with things I already have scheduled but this is a pretty busy month for me.   I can't remember offhand so I'll have to go back and check.  It could turn out to be very worthwhile.  In fact, I just had a thought, I'll  mention it to my doc.  He is so on top of things that whenever I ask if he's head about something, he always has.   I'll  see if he knows about it and if he thinks it would be worth the trip.  See, I told you, talking to you two  always inspires me! By the way, the Jello was great -- black cherry!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 07:28:52 pm »
Wendy,

Nashville doesn't seem to have a support group either.  I tried about a year ago to contact the person listed on the info I got from the ANA, but she'd changed her contact information or something and never responded.  Then I got an e-mail out of nowhere last December about a social thing they were having, but of course it was the one weekend I wasn't going to be around.  She said the next get together would probably be this spring, but I haven't heard anything yet. 

We should be back in Virginia this time next year, so maybe there's one there.  In the mean time - I guess we're all stuck with each other!   :)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »
Wendy~
There is no support group here either...where are you?

Jan~
I, too, was very surprised by the smallness of the processor - I don't know what I was expecting!   ???  That is cool that they have different colors for different colors of hair!  BTW, I don't think you have big hands...maybe Steve is just jealous (if you know what I mean...)
 ;D   ;D    ;D    ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 11:40:45 pm »
I'm not at all familiar with the terms.  Is the processor the thing that hooks onto it, to let you hear things?
If you are SSD, does it allow you to hear as good, or nearly as good as with your good ear?
I'm sure you take it off at night, but does sleeping on your back hurt your head with the screw in it, or are all of you numb in your brain?????  ha. (kidding).
I think I would do it with a general, too!  I ALWAYS need a nap.  Never turn one down, in my book!! :D
Thanks everyone,
Lacey
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 11:56:55 pm »
BTW, I don't think you have big hands...maybe Steve is just jealous (if you know what I mean...)

OMG, K !  I think I know exactly what you mean - and you are SO bad  :o  LOL

I have only been to one local ANA meeting - and it wasn't exactly too local - probably about an hour drive.  I was told the agenda was going to be the BAHA and that my doctor was going to speak.  At that point I was about 8 weeks post op and seriously considering the BAHA.  I wasn't healed enough to be able to try the demo, so I figured listening to my doc's presentation and hearing what others thought of their BAHAs would be great. 

When I got to the meeting - late, since naturally I got lost - my doc wasn't there.  His partner was and he was talking about some kind of International AN conference or symposium that he had attended in Spain.  It was a very informative talk and I learned a lot about ANs, but I was a little perturbed because I wanted to hear about BAHAs.  After the talk, the doc took questions and one woman happened to mention her BAHA, so when it was time for refreshments I kind of cornered her and began my own BAHA discussion  ;)

After that meeting, the leader of this particular group decided to step down and it took a while for the ANA to find a new one.  I got an email a month or two ago from the new leader, but unfortunately the next meeting will be when I am in NJ.  I know she hopes to have regular meetings, so I'm optimistic that the group will get going again.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2008, 12:24:42 am »
Lacey -

the following link explains a lot about the BAHA; my brother found it and emailed it to me. 

http://www.umm.edu/otolaryngology/baha.htm

The processor is actually what they call the tiny hearing aid.  And it truly is a hearing aid - it contains a tiny microphone and even takes hearing aid batteries.  I didn't realize it until I got mine, but processors come in left side and right side.  The processor is also sometimes referred to as the "device".

The titanium fixture which is implanted into the head is sometimes referred to as a screw, but I find that term a little misleading because the processor doesn't screw on - it snaps on.  Also, the doctor doesn't screw it into your skull, he drills a hole (yes, it's a real drill) and implants it.  He doesn't use a screwdriver!  So if anyone had thought to ask me, I'd have called it a snap  ;)

The abutment is the part that is sticking out of the processor - it connects the processor to the fixture.

Generally there is a waiting period between the implant surgery and when you can wear your processor, because the fixture has to calcify to the bone.  My doctor makes patients wait 3 months because he feels attaching the processor any earlier can cause "torque".  Torque was explained to me as the fixture possibly moving around in the hole in my head because of the motion of attaching and detaching the processor.  Apparently waiting 3 months greatly eliminates torque. 

The audiologist did tell me not to sleep with the processor attached.  You also cannot get it wet - or you will fry the battery.  So while you can obviously shower, swim, etc., with the fixture in your head, you should never do so with the processor attached.

The fixture is located on the side of your head so if you sleep on your back it won't bother you.  I sleep on my side - on my bad ear - and the fixture doesn't bother me because it is flush with my head - it only sticks out a tiny bit.  Plus, as you say, having a numb head is also valuable  ;)

And that concludes BAHA Lingo Class 101.  Pop quiz tomorrow  :D 

Jan

lori67

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2008, 09:41:46 am »

And that concludes BAHA Lingo Class 101.  Pop quiz tomorrow  :D 

Jan

Oh, Oh, pick me!!!!!  I think I might be able to pass this one!!  Just don't throw and suprise math problems in there! 

Lori

oHIo

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2008, 08:27:28 pm »
I hate pop quizes.  I get test anxiety.  I think I'll be absent tomorrow. ;)

wendysig

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2008, 09:16:22 pm »
K -
I live in Staten Island, NY.  My guess is that there aren't 100,000 people living on Staten Island, so I'm probably the only ANer here.  My internist told me in 27 years of practice (there's that word again, I wish they's stop practicing on us and get it right) I'm his first patient to ever have an AN.  My ENT said although he's had patients with ANs before, not here on Staten Island the other ENT in his office said the same thing.  I'm so lonely but apparently very original in my choice of airlments.

Jan - I just got my BAHA nformation kit from Cochlear the other day and haven't had a chance to watch the DVD or read the booklet.  Can you hold off on the pop quiz or do I have to   pull an all-nighter?  A mosquito bit me and my hand is all swollen -apparently I am now allergic to mosquito bites and my cat ate my homwork.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2008, 09:29:55 pm »
Wendy -

I had no idea there was a BAHA information kit from Cochlear - or a DVD or a booklet for that matter  :o  My only BAHA resources were my fellow forumites, the AN patient from the local support group, my doctor and a few Cochlear brochures he gave me, and the Cochlear website.

Let us know how the DVD is - if it's fun & exciting you can bring it to the symposium for a group viewing.  We'll make Lori buy the popcorn; and Steve's already agreed to supply the drinks ;)

Sorry, kids no pop quiz tonight.  I know you are all highly disappointed, but the teacher was up until 3 a.m. posting on the forum and before her head hits the pillow tonight she's supposed to wash the basement floor to placate the realtor who "strongly suggested" it  :P

Jan

er

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2008, 09:56:32 pm »
Good lesson I've learned today and I also like the photo’s ,
I am not ready for the test either.
I still don’t have the courage to check into one. I am afraid of having something invade my skull.
The question I also have to those that do own Baha’s does  the surrounding area every hurt where the screw is placed, like when the weather changes ?
eve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2008, 10:18:52 pm »
Eve -

you don't really need courage, check one out by trying the demo and go from there.  If you are concerned that you will be uncomfortable during the procedure, ask your doctor to use general anesthesia rather than local.  Lori may refer to me as tough, and I admit to being hardheaded, but IMO I'm no tougher than most people.

Truthfully the fixture isn't bad.  In fact, most days I forget it's there and then when I'm combing my hair in the morning I hear a little click are my comb hits the titanium. It is a little strange when you go for a haircut with someone new, but in general, unless you tell people it's there, they'll never know.

I had my implant in early March and I have had no pain.  After the implant I did have a lot of itching around the site, but once my head healed the itching went away.  Since I live in cold weather country (near Chicago) I wondered if the implant would give me trouble in the winter, but other users have told me it won't. 

I'm glad you liked the photos.  I posted them to educate others about the BAHA.

Jan