Author Topic: Jan's BAHA pictures  (Read 35514 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Jan's BAHA pictures
« on: June 04, 2008, 10:00:23 pm »
Okay, here are my BAHA pictures - kind of small, but I think you get the picture(s)  ;D

They are in order - my head with processor attached & hair covering it; processor with hair moved aside; fixture with processor detached; processor (front view); processor (back view).

If anyone wants to see larger versions of any of these pictures, just PM me your email address and I'll email you the originals.

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

Re: Jan's BAHA pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 10:09:59 pm »
Why does it look smaller in the palm of your hand than it does on the side of your head? Tiny head? Giant hands?  ;D

Actually, I am surprised that it hides away so well when your hair covers it. Very discreet. Can you "feel" it there when you are just walking around with it on? I would imagine you can't really tell. I know you mentioned elsewhere that hearing your own voice so clearly is disconcerting. I noticed that too with a hearing aid, but I am getting used to it now.

Have fun! I bet you end up loving it.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:22:55 pm »
Steve -

Actually I was kind of proud of the pictures.  First of all, I was able to post them and second of all, they aren't huge like the ones of my BAHA hat.

I thought I was making "technological progress", but maybe not.  Thanks for bursting my bubble LOL

I decided to show the processor in my hand so those unfamiliar with BAHA processors could see how tiny they are.  I knew they were small, but today when I got mine I was surprised to see it was even tinier than I remembered.  My hair is longer than I usually wear it, but I could definitely cut it shorter and it would still cover the processor.

I really can't feel it on my head, but if I put my hand up and touch it I get a little bit of feedback.  I also got some feedback earlier tonight when I was driving with the window open - from the sound of the wind blowing  :o  Guess it's pretty powerful; I had it on 3 - the maximum - I might have to turn it down a little.

I am getting used to hearing my own voice, glad to hear you are getting used to hearing yours.  It's kind of strange at first.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

shygirl

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 12:59:03 am »
 :D Again, I feel like I'm at a comedy club!

I don't think my Dr new the processor came in different colors to match the hair. I have dark brown hair and my processor is "blonde". I have been known to change my look before, but not that drastically!!

Cool pics Jan. You'll get used to it, it'll just take a week or so until you find the perfect volume. The little switch for noisy situations vs. quiet...I got confused at first and kept doing it backwards!! No wonder I had so many headaches!!!!

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:40:57 am »
Love the pics, Jan - you look so cool and hi-tech with the transmitter on your head!  Please keep updating as you "housebreak" your new device - I, for one, am eager to learn more.

Thanks again for posting the pics!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:49:03 am »
Debbi - I'll post any picture in the interest of AN education  ;D

Shygirl -

I can't believe your doc's office didn't ask you what color processor you wanted.  When I scheduled the surgery that was one of the first questions I was asked.  I was also asked which side was my AN side - although I'm confident that they have the information in their files  ;)  I didn't realize until yesterday that the side matters because it determines where the microphone is located on the processor.  So, yes fellow forumites, they have left processors and right processors.

The processor comes in 4 colors - brown, "blonde", black, and white.  I have the brown one now, but I'm rapidly moving towards the white one!  Time to rethink not dying my hair  ::)  I'm thinking that Cochlear should also make a "skin color" one available since lots of men like the shaved head look.  I'll have to get Lori working on marketing that idea to them  :D

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused by the little switch for noisy vs quiet - I think I'm going to have to experiment with it for a while until I get it right!

Jan

Sam Rush

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:31:01 am »
Jan

Congats on your BAHA

Word of caution......   when putting clothes(shirts, sweaters) on and over your head, be sure and turn the unit off first or remove it, as the static electricity can fry the unit. This happened to me, fortunately it was still under warranty at the time. 
1 cm AN translab, Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Schwartz, Dr Doherety HEI   11/04   Baha 7/05

lori67

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 09:37:42 am »
Jan, lookin' good!!

It took me a while to figure out what the best setting was for different situations, but you'll figure it out pretty quickly.  I find I use the bottom setting (directional) most of the time because I usually don't care what's going on behind me anyway!   :D

Shygirl - I can't believe your doctor didn't ask you what color you wanted either.  I remember when my doctor asked me, I obviously said "brown" and my husband quickly said "are you sure you don't want grey?".    Oh, he's such a joker.

I get feedback from my sunglasses a lot and when I lean my head back too far on the headrest in the car.  But, I usually turn it off in the car, because with a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the back, I can usually hear more than I care too anyway - even with one ear.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Catflower

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:44:21 am »
Jan:  Congratulations on getting your processor.  My computer has been down so I've been out of touch for several days.  When did you get it and how are you adapting?  I'm supposed to get mine on July 3.

Linda in WV

sabuck

• Buck & Sons Landscape Service, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 10:51:46 am »
Jan, Congrats! The pictures look great! I like how Steve gives you a hard time. All in good fun.  ;) Are you saying that she has man hands?  ::) I doubt it. Small head? Maybe... just kiddin too Jan!
I am so jealous because I have to wait another month to enter the Baha Matrix. Please keep sharing your experiences.
Thanks Sam for the tip on static electricity!  :o Very good stuff to know!!! -the other Steve (not original Steve)
Approx. AN 2.5 cm prior to surgery on 10/7/07)
(Cerebellopontine Angle Tumor)
The Ohio State University Medical Clinic (Drs. Brad Welling & John McGregor)
SSD post op - left side
BAHA surgery 4/25/08 Dr. Brad Welling 7/3/08 for Baha use!

cmp

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 11:12:07 am »
Thanks for posting those pictures, Jan--what a fascinating gizmo! Hope it makes a huge difference in your life as you adjust to it.

I am wondering what things you have to beware of to keep it safe. Steve mentions static electricity from putting clothes on, and I remember seeing a thread about swimming (though I don't remember whether or not it's OK to get it wet?) How about hair brushing? Sweating during vigorous excercise? A sudden thundershower?

Believe it or not, getting caught in the rain without an umbrella used to be practically a phobia for me when I was growing up, since the cost of my hearing aid wasn't covered by insurance and was at the limit of what my parents could afford. I've since gotten a waterproof aid (Rionet is the brand)--the incentive was the awkwardness of spending time poolside with my toddler son; I hated not being able to hear him while I was teaching him to swim, worrying about being caught offguard by a cannonball splash, etc, and have found it's generally wonderful not to worry about getting it wet no matter what the reason. 

5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 11:12:36 am »
sabuck -

yeah, Steve (the original one) loves to "hassle" me and I love to "hassle" him right back  ;D  When we get Lori into the mix, the trouble really starts LOL  Your month will go fast.  I did mention to the doc yesterday that it's a good thing he didn't give me the processor until my 90 days were up because I know darn well I would have worn it "prematurely".  He totally agreed with that assessment of me  ;)

Dr. Sam -

thanks for the excellent tip on static electricity.  I would have never considered this or thought to ask the audiologist about it.  My thoughts with wearing the processor and pulling a shirt over my head had to do with the possibility of pulling the processor off (been there, done that with my BAHA bandage - one day post op)   :o

Catflower -

I just got the processor yesterday morning and I'm adapting nicely.  I'm already getting better at attaching it - you don't put it straight onto the "screw", you put one part on and rock it.  Detaching it is very easy - you pop it off (like opening a pop can) with your thumb.  Your audiologist will explain.  July 3rd!!!  That's really soon  ;D  There are more details of my experience on a thread started by Lori titled "Can you hear me now?"  Check it out if you haven't already.

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:27:42 am »
I carry a water proof pill/film box (with my name and phone on it!)  with me an one those "do not eat" dehumidifiers' .. for those days I take it off because of rain or fog .. or just heavy sweating in general ... (Spicy Indian food makes me sweat like crazy ...)

Great pictures!  ;D  try one of the stickers...  ;)

I'm looking for a "blue tooth" sticker .. to make it look like a special headset for my phone !  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:34:10 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:11 am »
Joef -

I actually thought about you yesterday when I was handed my little "gift pack" from Cochlear.

I was slightly disappointed because I didn't receive any stickers (racing stripes) like you have.

I wasn't sure if yours came in your gift pack or if you had purchased them yourself from another source so I didn't want to ask the audiologist about them.

Jan

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 11:35:25 am »
what no stickers? ... yea it came with the my pack .. I guess most people dont use em so they stopped ...

you thought about me ? ... thats why my ears are ringing  ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 11:38:22 am by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital