Author Topic: No Processor Today  (Read 5544 times)

mom of AN pt.

Re: No Processor Today
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 03:36:03 pm »
My daughter (19 years old)  is post AN surgery (3 years).
I would love her to get the BAHA but  she won't for cosmetic reasons.
She saw one up close... as there was another person within a few miles that had AN surgery and came to visit us. She saw the implant, then heard the buzzing when she got near the device...
This was three years ago, I was hoping that the technology would improve to atleast make the buzzing sound go away when you get near the device. 
I would love her to have it so if any one wants to rave about them I will pass it on to her.   

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 05:28:53 pm »
Linda -

2 processors for the cost of 1!  That is tremendous!  ;D

Are they both the same color?  I tease a lot of people by saying I should have gotten 2.  The brown one I currently have to match my current hair color and a grey one for the future.  With the way things are going lately, I'll need the grey one before I know it  :D

I still haven't seen a bill - neither has my insurance company - for my processor which is now almost 1 month old.  I'm anxious to see what my out-of-pocket cost will be.  I only had to pay a $400 deductible for the surgery.

The audiologist at my doc's office told me that their particular office has a lending program where they will lend you a processor if yours is broken or in for repairs.

Feel free to ask questions of us BAHA users.  I asked lots of questions, so I'll be happy to answer any you have.

mom of AN pt -

I don't understand your comment about the buzzing sound.  I don't have any kind of buzzing - not even when someone comes near my processor. 

As far as "cosmetic" reasons, while I can understand someone not wanting to have a titanium implant in their skull - especially someone as young as your daughter - the implant and the processor are not obvious to the average person.  I wear my hair very short and my processor is not visible at all.  I posted some pictures last month on this forum when I got my processor. (See Jan's BAHA pictures)  There's a shot of my head with the processor on and it's completely covered by my hair.  After the picture, I got my hair cut shorter and it's still covered.

I am thrilled with my BAHA and I highly recommend it to anyone who asks me about it.

If your daughter is interested, there are lots of posts about BAHAs - just search on "BAHA".  I just sent a detailed post to Kathleen earlier today, which might be helpful.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mom of AN pt.

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 08:00:35 pm »
Thank you Jan..!

The BAHA that we saw wasn't that big...but definitely had a high pitched sound when the woman put her hand up to show us how came off...(it was just like the ringing sound my dad had with his hearing aids many years before). 
So my daughter (anticipating dating situations) knew this would be difficult for her.  She was only 15 at the time...now three years later she seems to cope well with only one hearing ear but I know the BAHA would be awesome, if she would just give it a chance.  I think she just needs more time.. and that's ok,  but I am SO HAPPY to hear yours does not make the high pitched noise!

lori67

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:52 pm »
I do sometimes get the buzzing when something comes too close to the microphones on the processor - my hand or my sunglasses.  I've never had it buzz when someone else came near though.  They'd have to be just about touching the processor for that to happen, I think.  If I'm out somewhere and it starts to buzz - I just quickly turn it off or turn the volume down and it's no problem.

Of course, I don't have to worry about the dating thing (my husband has a problem with that - go figure!   :D), but I can imagine if I were your daughter's age, not wanting to have some buzzing thing stuck to my head.  She sounds like she's adjusted to the SSD quite well.  I have a feeling the BAHA will be around (and much improved) in years to come, so it's something she can always look into later if she needs it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.