Author Topic: What kinds of noises do you hear?  (Read 19294 times)

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
Re: What kinds of noises do you hear?
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2008, 05:08:18 am »
Steve, I read your reply/post regarding "gaze evoked tinnitus" and yep, when I gaze towards my AN side the sound does increase--albeit slightly.  For the longest time I've experienced a considerable increase in sound when I reach around to scratch my back just below my scapula on the AN side.  Somehow the nerves in the muscle have a volume switch there directed to my deaf/dead ear!  So I've got that goin for me, which is nice!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Lorenzo

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:42 am »
Arushi, If you find what spot you need to scratch on your back to turn the sound down, will you let us know please? Thanks.  :)

Steve, there are hats going?? Really? Can I have one? Must be grey wool, without ear flaps. Apparently I have a big head.

Donnalynn, welcome to the forum / madhouse. This is a great bunch of people, so you've come to the right place for information, support, laughs, and the occasional morale boost when required.

Ciao a tutti,

Lorenzo  :)
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2008, 09:00:04 am »
donnalyn - welcome!  About all i can tell you is that some things seem to get easier with time.  I am still completely confounded when the phone rings - and I can't tell if a phone is ringing on TV or in my own house!  I am sure I look like a nut running around trying to find a phone.  If my husband is here, I'll look at him real calmly and casually ask if he hears anything   :D  He's onto me now, though - and responds by asking, " what do YOU hear?"

Steve and Arushi - never heard of the "gaze invoked tinnitis" - very interesting. And, I'm with Lorenzo - if you find an "off" spot let us know?  While the birds/frogs chirping isn't really all that bad, it would be nice to shut it off at will!

And Steve, what about these hats we keep hearing about???  You'd better get to knitting, my friend!

Lorenzo - I am regaining my taste for wine!!!!!  I had a little goat cheese, pear and pinot gris on Saturday - quite heavenly!

Of course, as some of you may already know from my surgery update thread - I am also now "spitting" sutures...   :-\

Debbi - chirping now interrupted by spitting sutures...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Lorenzo

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 09:18:37 am »
Debbi,

Spitting sutures? Well, at least you're not spitting wine anymore! Yesss!  Finalmente.  taste does come back, thankfully.  Pinot gris and goats cheese... yum. Would have been perfect with my bread. Had some Prosecco with dinner last night! Taste for wine still with me I'm glad to report.

So you have the same 'where's that phone' thing, I ahve it with my wife looking at me in a funny way... I now just ignore it, and let her react. Much less embarrassing.

Tinnitus for me isn't too bad mostly. Got used to it and don't hear most of the time. I remember there were times early on in recover that it reall got bad and drove me insane. By the way, the American Tinnitus Association has a website people can check out, www.ata.org  Gaze invoked tin is a reality, read about it somewhere a long time ago. If I turn my eyes sharp left I get louder Tinnitus too. Sigh.

Ok, time for my daily walk.

Ciao

Lorenzo

CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Kaybo

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2008, 09:26:19 am »
Debbi~
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I still get sounds confused - however, I just think it really adds excitement to my BORING (LOL!) life!  It was a bit unnerving when the girlies were little and would cry in a different room, but for the most part it is just a funny nuisance now.  I do have to tell you a funny story, though (bet that is surprising - a story form me!)...my friend that I talk to on the phone (a LOT) has a clock that chimes every quarter hour (or at least every 1/2 hr)...the funny thing is that her clock chimes the EXACT SAME way my DOORBELL does.  I am forever asking her if her clocked just chimed - used to I would go to the door!!  LOL!!  However, I will say that one day we were over at their house and the clock chimed and Emee went to the door because she thought that it was the doorbell!!   ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
STOP the tinnitus it is driving me CRAZY. I am SSD in my left ear and have to live with this constant noise in my deaf ear. I did not have this prior to surgery.
It is like a seashell at my ear and does change sometimes to a higher ringing. I have tried to ignore it and does work for a bit but this stinks. Does it ever go away or is this something we live with forever?
Welcome Donnalynn! ;D :D ;) :)
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

cin605

« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 07:41:47 pm »
I have all sorts of noise too.Yesterday it was like i was underwater if i touched my ear it was really lound but if i rub my fingers together outside my ear i hear nothing.
The relly loud blocking 7 unblocking sounds are getting better(some days)
I have constant tinnitus just like before surgery thats how i acually discovered something was seriously wrong.I didn't even realize my hearing was 1/2 gone in that ear it was the ringing for 3 months that took me to the emergency room.Went to docs for vertigo for 10 years they said it was inner ear infections.
So..Thank God for tinnitus. ???
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

petittrv

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2008, 12:37:13 pm »
I had the wooshing (blood in my veins-type) noise too for a couple of months.  I had tinnitus for several years before being diagnosed and I still have that (in both ears) although I'm so used to it by now it gets blocked out pretty well.  That is the only sound I have now in the deaf ear - I've never had the voices.  One bonus I've found is that now if I sleep on my good ear, I hear nothing all night and sleep very sound.  It doesn't matter what goes on around me or if the kids are crying - I just sleep right through (I used to have to fake that but now I don't have too!).
4.5 cm AN - diagnosed 12 Sep 07; removed 2 Oct 07.  VII to XII Nerve transfer 9 Oct 07; CSF leak repair/eyelid weight installed 16 Oct 07. Deaf in left ear, facial paralysis

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2008, 12:52:34 pm »
My noises in my deaf ear are pretty much down to an occasional chirping which I don't notice most of the time.  And, I agree with you on the issue of sleep.  I always sleep on my good ear and I hear NOTHING!  No husband snoring, no dog snoring, no cats playing - nothing!  It's great!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

cin605

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 08:00:42 pm »
WOW!You girls are onto something!I am definatly going to give it a try. ;)
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

wendysig

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2008, 05:27:07 am »
My husband snoes so loudly I can hear him downstairs (and that's with the bedroom door closed) when I'm awake.  I sleep on my hearing side too and never hear so much as a peep at night.  I guess it's good that there's at least one advantage to being SSD!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2008, 07:01:16 am »
You know I had babies AFTER my surgery so that was a GREAT excuse for my hubby to get up with them..."I didn't hear them!" - which I didn't!!   ;)Of course, I had to feed them & he would wake me for that, but when they just woke up and needed some attention or as they got older...it was him a lot more than most daddy's!!  I got a good one!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2008, 05:45:34 pm »
I must say that I find quite a few positives to being SSD.  Who knew?

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Kaybo

« Reply #58 on: September 19, 2008, 07:14:40 pm »
Debbi~
Another good trick is that when you are a teacher and you have to put that misbahaving kid next to your desk but they chatter incessantly - just stick em on the deaf side!!   ;)

K ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Angela

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2008, 05:02:37 pm »
All my friends think that being seated on my right (deaf) side is an unspoken insult  :P
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)