Author Topic: What kinds of noises do you hear?  (Read 19216 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: What kinds of noises do you hear?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:39 am »
Hhmm - that's interesting --- now if only the wine itself could miraculously appear!   ;D

Which brings up another odd thing - I love a good glass of red wine, but since surgery the mere thought of wine makes me wrinkle the good half of my nose in disgust.  Wonder if I'll regain my palate for wine???
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

sgerrard

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:23:22 am »
Now on days that I get extra “treatsâ€? from my AN ear.  I have more of an occasional “ringâ€? like when you wet your finger and run it along the rim of a wine glass?  Especially if I run my hand on my non-AN ear…along the outside edge…I get that wine glass “ringâ€? in my AN ear...weird huh?

I had that exact symptom for awhile, back before treatment. I explained it to my ENT, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I am so glad to hear that someone else has experienced it. The effect of touching your good ear and getting a ringing sound in your AN ear was truly strange - what sort of electrical impulses and nerve connections do you have to conjure up to explain that one?  ???

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

oHIo

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 01:42:30 pm »
Debbi,
My tinnitus is a constant, high pitched noise which is made worse by loud noises in the room.  I can make it stop, or at least decrease by putting my finger in my hearing ear.

I have also noted that when I am on the phone, waiting for someone to answer, I get feedback of the phone ringing in my non hearing ear.  It sort of freaked me out to begin with. 

During my recent Baha evaluation. they tested my hearing to document I was truly deaf in my right ear.  (I could have told them that for free  ;) )  When they tested tones, I heard some of them (that were directed into my right--non hearing ear) in my left ear.  The audiologist explained the term (which I have forgotten) and stated this only meant my hearing in my good ear was good enough to compensate for my deaf ear.  They turned the background noise up in my left ear and I could no longer hear the tones directed into my right.

Lorenzo

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 12:54:04 am »
my tinnitus is the rustling leaves / rushing stream sort of noise, unless of course i'm in a noisy environment, then the birds start up, and the occasional 747 passes in the head (being european, that should be an Airbus A380). Right now I'm listening to some rock, and the tin is adding to it in rhythm, clicking away nicely. Adds something to the music, actually.

All that of course is only the case when I pay attention to it. Most of the time, I ignore it. Not going to let it take over the few brain cells I have!

Debbi, just over a month post surgery? Ya, your taste for wine will come back, no fear. Mine did. Enjoyed a nice glass of Cab Franc last night... yum. Anything else tastes off or not like it should?

Ciao

Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 07:15:49 am »
Buon Giorno, Lorenzo!

Well, it's only been not quite 3 weeks, so I guess I can't complain about the fact that wine doesn't yet appeal.  Had a sip of beer the other day and that tasted dreadful.  Otherwise, most things taste as they should, with an occasional bit of metalic thrown in just to confuse the issue.  Being a lover of food, I am quite happy that my taste buds don't seem to have been impacted much at all.  And, you're right - eventually wine will start to taste good again .. .I hope!  I've got some special bottles in the cellar just waiting for an occasion...

Ciao!
Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 10:59:34 am »
Lorenzo,

I have missed you. You will pleased to learn I went to Peet’s… and had another caramel latte yesterday. When I ever I go to Peet’s I always ask myself "I wonder how my coffee-holic buddy Lorenzo is doing?" ;)

I am at month 9 and apples and grapes still do not appeal to me.  :-\  Last night my husband opened up a bottle of local Oregon merlot at the dinner table- to which he enjoyed. I thought it tasted absolutely putrid.

I am beginning to think that my Oregon Pinot Noir wine tasting days are over- and I will simply remain “the driver� for touring house guests.

Cheers,

Daisy Head Mazy

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 11:28:57 am »
Conatant high picthed sound sometimes loud others medium-loud. Then in the background there are indiscernable sounds like that of mumbling people. VERY strange

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Lorenzo

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 03:34:13 pm »
Ciao Debbi,

:)  I tested my wine savouring abilities tonight with a  glass of petite syrah and I am happy to report that they are working just fine! I had nightmare for months post-CK at the idea of spending a life without tasting food as it used to. Metallic, salty... No fun!  Fortunately it all came back a few months later. Can't remember the exact time frame, but it didn't take too long. Now, I'm back at loving food!!! :) 

and yes, even coffee. LOL  Peets eh? you addict!  LOL  You can blame me for that!  :)  Long time no hear indeed. Hope you're doing ok?

Ciao a tutti e tutte

Lorenzo
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 10:32:56 pm by Lorenzo »
doing great now.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 03:41:51 pm »
Daisy,

Hang in there, you WILL be able to enjoy wine again.  I had the same complaint this time last year, you see my husband makes award winning wine and several varieties and I  was heartbroken thinking I'd never be able to drink it again.  I was very wrong.  I now find salt to be the problem.  I use salt, I like salt, but lately everything is too salty I have to get Louie or one of the boys to taste my cooking.

I've developed a real sweet tooth.......is it an age thing or a neuroma thing  :-\

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 03:55:12 pm »
Hey Lorenzo,

Louie's best wine for 2007 was petite syrah.  My sister and brother-in-law have been making wine for almost 40 yrs and thought Louie bought the wine.  John almost fell off the chair when Louie told him he made it from grapes.  That husband of mine is a perfectionist.  Lorenzo, I'm saving you a bottle for the next time you swim across the ocean.  Oh yeah from what I understand the prosciutto was outstanding also :P

LOL,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Lorenzo

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 08:54:17 am »
Prosciutto and Petite Syrah? I'll mail you my address! Not sure I want to wait until I make across the ocean again!!!!!  :)  You're lucky, wonderful.

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 06:50:11 am »
Did someone say prosciutto??  Can a lovely wedge of parmigiano be far behind???  Or maybe a wedge of melt-in-your-mouth gorgonzola with a crisp pear???  Maybe a little prosecco -- or a nice sangiovese...

Can you tell I am sitting in my hospital room, having just contemplated a meal of instant oatmeal and Lipton's hot tea?

Debbi - bored at NYU
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 06:56:02 am »
Debbi~
I know the bored routine...I don't usually just "sit around" like I did in the hospital -- just as I suspect you don't either!!  Is there a nice, sunny sitting area you can go to?  How about Willie making a Starbucks run for us????

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lorenzo

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 09:50:31 am »
I was thinking melon with the prosciutto, with a glass of prosecco. Nebbiolo with a serving of shaved parmigiano with some nice honey. Hospital food is dire here too! Fortunately I never had to experience it. Stanford has great laces to eat in not far from the CK site!  :)

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

Angela

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 02:46:09 pm »
Most of the time, I hear high-pitched white noise.  Sometimes the irritating noise will change and break up, as if the bad speaker on AM radio is finally burning out.  No such luck, my deaf ear finds a new "frequency" and does it's thing again.

I haven't heard [what sounds like] my own blood rushing through my head since before "Timmy the Tumor" got scraped away.

If I look hard to the AN side, the noice intensifies!  That's weird.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)