Author Topic: What kinds of noises do you hear?  (Read 19270 times)

Lorenzo

Re: What kinds of noises do you hear?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 03:04:14 pm »
Not that weird actually. there's a term for eye movement related tinnitus too, but I can't think of it right now. the American Tinnitus Association mentions it on their site. End of day for me here so can't go and find the link, sorry.

Mine is whistling right now, I have a train in my skull! Great. Time to go and ignore it again.  :)

Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

sgerrard

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 08:48:01 pm »
There's always time to Google.  :D

Perhaps you mean "gaze-evoked tinnitus," as described here: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=14177808

Two quotes:

"Objective: The authors describe symptoms and population characteristics in subjects who can modulate the loudness and/or pitch of their tinnitus by eye movements."

"Conclusions: Gaze-evoked tinnitus after cerebellar pontine angle surgery is more common than was previously believed. In addition, posterior fossa surgery is not a prerequisite for the development of gaze-evoked tinnitus. It is likely that gaze-evoked tinnitus is a manifestation of functional reorganization. Gaze-evoked tinnitus could result from an unmasking of brain regions that respond to multiple stimulus/response modalities, and/or from anomalous cross-modality interactions, perhaps caused by collateral sprouting."

Ah, collateral sprouting. Should have thought of that.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lorenzo

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 10:33:43 pm »
'cross-modality interactions'
'collateral sprouting'
'unmasking of brain regions'

these people / this person obviously never heard of plain English!  Collateral sprouting, sounds like a sideways garden.  :D

Just did a search on gaze evoked tinnitus, and a lot of hits turned up, some of them talking about how prevalent it is after AN surgery.

Ok, time for me to go out and water the garden.

Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

bpham

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 03:50:33 pm »
After 2 weeks of surgery, i heard loud tinitus (I had it before surgery), but louder after surgery.  However, after about 2 months the noise died down and now back to the level b4 and I do not care anymore...
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 08:59:20 am »
Interestingly enough, I only occasionally get the birds in my ears now.  I am trying to figure out if it relates to anything or if it is just random.  Now, if I could only regain my taste for wine...   :P
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2008, 03:48:49 pm »
I hear these lil suckers!

Lots of 'em! Not too upseting really.  Reminds me of balmy nights in the Caribbean with my hammock stung between two palm trees and the smell of frangipani on the sea breeze.  I just need to put on some steel band music and blend up a Pina Colada (minus the rum for me as I am the designated driver.) At first I heard the 747 that carried all the touristas to the island as well, but that went away after a few weeks.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

shygirl

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2008, 07:54:20 am »
Hi, I thought I'd let ya'll know what noise I hear... a veeerrrryyy loud white noise. A finger in my good ear does the trick, though. It used to be a seashell sound. I liked that-it was relaxing, but this....Huh.

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Dan

• Dan in Germany
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2008, 09:29:06 am »
Before surgery I had the sea shell sound but now I think it sounds like hundreds of Cicada, they are queit far away but still loud.  We don't have any here in Germany but when I go to Greece (Cos) in Sept they will probably still be active.

Dan in Germany
US Army Retired, age 51,  residing and working in Germany.
Retrosigmoid 21 Sept 07 left side 1.76cm AN, Prof. Mann, Uniklinik Mainz Germany

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2008, 02:19:03 pm »
Now that you mention it, I get a little of that white noise thing, too.  It is almost like being in a vacuum of some sort - but, in my case, very faint.  I still get the chirping, but mostly when I am tired.  What's interesting is the the hearing in my good ear seems to be more sensitive now?

BTW, Dan, I am envious of your trip to Greece in Sept - what a perfect time of year to go!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2008, 02:22:58 pm »
It sure would be nice to hear the winning lottery numbers...vs all of this other stuff ::)
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

sgerrard

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2008, 02:33:17 pm »
I'm like Dan, I have crickets where ever I go. When I step out on the back porch, they sound like they are up in the trees, a perfectly normal sound. They sound much more out of place when I am sitting in the sound proof booth for a hearing test. :)

Steve

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2008, 07:29:14 pm »
It sure would be nice to hear the winning lottery numbers...vs all of this other stuff ::)

GM -

if you figure out how to do that, sign me up  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2008, 08:56:24 pm »
Hi Donnalynn and welcome!
Sorry you still have this, but I am glad that your problems are getting better.  Almost all things do get "better" with time, but since I am not a Dr., I cannot tell you that it will go away all together.  I had surgery12 years ago and I got so used to the noises that I really thought that I didn't have any!!  Only when it is really quiet (not often around my house) do I notice it! 

Continued improvement...glad you're here - feel free to ask any questions you might have!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2008, 09:01:44 pm »
Hi, Donnalynn  ;D

I don't know the answer to your question.  I am SSD and don't have tinnitus (sounds in my ear).  I just wanted to say welcome and tell you how glad I am that you are joining us.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2008, 12:13:08 am »
Hi Donnalynn,

If you figured out how to upload your picture on your own, you are doing just fine. It takes most of us a month or more to do that.  :)

Don't worry too much about where to post ( "Is that an Issue or an Inquiry?"  ???). You can start a new topic if you want, or add on to another one. Please feel free to join in anytime. There are all sorts of people with all sorts of ANs here, so you are sure to find people who can answer your questions, or just cheer you up. Jan and K are two good ones.  ;)

Welcome. Don't ask for a hat right away.  :D

Steve