Author Topic: movie theatres , with SSD..........  (Read 2358 times)

konnie

movie theatres , with SSD..........
« on: November 03, 2008, 09:33:51 am »
Going to the theatre with family and friends has always been one of my favorit past times...........

However after having AN surgery and becoming SSD . it sometimes can be quite irritating....

first off if your one good ear is facing someone who enjoys their popcorn you are in trouble.
all you hear is them munching on popcorn during the entire movie.
second if that person likes to talk during the movie. you can't shut them out and listen to movie  with the other ear.
so then your are like what did they say... and total stranger  is looking at you an says shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

then you look at that person sitting next to you munching away at her popcorn and you think gee are you ever comming up for air.

Don't get wrong i enjoy popcorn just as much as the next person, i just realized that it is one more thing i have to adjust to with being SSD.
so a word to the wise if you want to enjoy that movie. have that person sit on your bad side...
konnie
AN 4.0cm @ time MRI (7-28-08)
Surgery 8-6-08 @Hinsdale,IL by
 Dr.Wiet/Dr. Kazan
Symtoms: sinus infection,numbness on leftside of face, hearing loss left ear & morning headaches

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: movie theatres , with SSD..........
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:26:48 pm »
Konnie:

My SSD experience regarding movie theaters has been somewhat different.  Because the sound is generally true 'surround sound', it's usually quite loud and thus easy for me to hear.  Not being able to discern the sound's direction isn't important because all the action, dialogue, whatever is happening right in front of me, on the big screen.   Because of these factors, I don't find my SSD to be an obstacle to enjoying watching movies in a theater.  I find that most stage productions I've attended recently are also easy to hear, as even large venues usually have excellent sound systems that are quite loud.  True, I do hear the person next to me but my wife always sits on my hearing side, so that isn't an issue for me.  I expect we all have slightly different SSD experiences, some good, some not-so-good.  This may be one of those instances.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:32:16 pm »
I was glad that Jim chimed in that he does not really have trouble at theaters - I also have not had major concerns.  I guess since I know this is how it will be from now on, I haven't given it much thought.  Jim is correct about the surround sound.  Also, some stage plays have given me GREAT seats when I mention that I am deaf in one ear - definitely mention it so you can sit on the "best" side of the theater for you.

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:30 pm »
Konnie,
I used to enjoy going to the movies.  Not so SSD.  The loudness gets to me and i don't enjoy the film.  I have never been one for loud places, but since becoming SSD, I have found that my remaining good hearing is very sensitive to loud noises and surround sound drives me nuts.  I wait for the movie to come out on DVD and then I enjoy it at my own sound level.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:40:33 pm »
Brenda, I'm with you - love my Netflix!  Delivered to my door, no fuss, no muss, and total control over sound...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com