Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 81960 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #435 on: August 05, 2008, 11:05:58 am »
Excellent news, Pooter

Jogging across the parking lot is a big deal so I congratulate you.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cindyj

« Reply #436 on: August 05, 2008, 11:18:29 am »
Be careful!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #437 on: August 05, 2008, 02:46:21 pm »
Brian:

Kudos on your successful parking lot run! With the long drive coming before it, you're obviously getting back to normal.  Good to see that.  I'm sure the other, peripheral-but-annoying issues will resolve, soon.  Thanks for more proof that there really is 'life after AN'. :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #438 on: August 05, 2008, 06:41:56 pm »
Brian,
Small victories are huge accomplishments for some of us.  Way to go.  Running and driving!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #439 on: August 05, 2008, 11:06:20 pm »
Wow, Pooter!  Great progress!  Wasn't it just yesterday that you started driving? and now you are jogging! 

Milestone after milestone!  It's definitely a wonderful feeling  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #440 on: August 06, 2008, 05:46:43 am »
Brian,
Driving, jogging andduring a hurricane  too.  What's next.  Now that you're really on the road to recovery it seems like you're unstoppable --- grreat news!  Keep it up.

Wemdu
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #441 on: August 06, 2008, 07:55:52 am »
Brian,

Were you actually jogging or was the wind strong enough that it was pushing you across the parking lot?  Well, either way, I'd celebrate it as a victory!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #442 on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:46 am »
Thanks everyone!  And, Lori, I'll never tell! ;)

Has anyone noticed that they favor their non-AN side after surgery?  I presume that gets better with time.  Right after surgery, I couldn't do the minor-est of things with that side, like I couldn't type with that hand.  It's MUCH better, but I still tend to favor to the non-AN side even if the other side is closer.  I've also noticed that I'm generally overall weaker than before (at least it seems so).  Am I losing my mind or has someone else noticed that as well?  I try to force using the AN side when it's closer, but sometimes I forget because I'm in a hurry much of the time.  For example, I open a door with the non-AN side (and have some minor troubles at times) even when the AN side is better, I correct a lot of spelling mistakes on the computer that happened on the AN side, and I used to be one of the fastest typist around but now I'm much slower (primarily because of correcting mistakes made on the AN side). Am I going nuts, is it just in my head, or what?  I realize this is something lower on the scale of importance than, say, being able to blink, running, etc.. but, I still wonder if it's permanent or not..

Thanks to everyone for celebrating my small victory with me.  I'm not 100% but I feel like I'm a lot closer than I was a month ago.

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Cheryl R

« Reply #443 on: August 06, 2008, 10:28:42 am »
Hi Brian,         I wouldn't doubt it is AN and surgery related.        Keep working away and you should improve in time.                          I have been more clumsy with my right hand.    This started after my first AN surgery in 2001.         I asked Dr Brackman about it at the 2003 AN symposium in Anaheim as the drs do mull around the crowds at times.          He didn't think it was AN surgery related but I am not sure.           Who knows.                   It never got any worse after my other rt sided surgeries.       
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care