Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82156 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2008, 10:25:55 am »
Jan, I refuse to answer whether it was a compliment or not.  It's all in how one takes it and I will just leave it there.  ;)

Debbi, can I have it back now?  I'm here now..

To update everyone, I went to the eye doc yesterday.  Overall, it was positive news.  He checked both of my eyes out very thoroughly.  He said that the prescription hasn't really changed in the eye on my AN side all that much (if at all), but in the course of everyday blinking, that eye doesn't shut all the way (yet).  So, while I don't feel it, I have a bit of dry eye which accounts for that eye being blurrier than normal.  He gave me some different contacts that let in more oxygen, gave me some instructions on wiping it down with a hot compress a few times a day, and he gave me some re-wetting drops to use during the day.  He also wants me to get with my doctor and get in to see an Occupational Therapist to get more exercises to "wake up" that nerve on that side faster/better.  He did some neurological tests on the nerves 2-8 and they all check out fine, which was good.  He said that on a macro level, everything looks good, it's just on a micro level that some work needs to be done and fine tuned.  As I said, overall positive news.

Today, as long as I think about blinking more fully and getting my eye all the way shut, things are better.  It's when I get busy and forget about blinking that things get blurry again.  Hopefully, that nerve will continue to wake up and I get better at blinking fully more naturally.  I know; patience. ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Kaybo

« Reply #421 on: July 29, 2008, 11:04:45 am »
Brian~
That is what happens with me - I just can not get enough blink to really rewet the eye to stop the blurries.  Of course, my case is very different in that I have total paralysis.

Glad to hear the good news!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #422 on: July 29, 2008, 01:32:42 pm »
Brian:

I'm glad to learn that your eye is basically O.K. and nothing is seriously amiss.  Thanks for the update.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #423 on: July 29, 2008, 02:17:26 pm »
Blink, my Pooter, blink! focus! Keep blinking!!!!!!!! :)  Sounds like you are heading in the right direction! FAB news!  Onward and upward, Brian! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #424 on: August 03, 2008, 08:26:48 pm »
I just had to share my little victory.  We went to Austin for my sis's 40'th birthday party.  Those of you familar with geography know that is about 2.5 hours away.  I drove us all the way there Saturday and back today (in the sometimes gentle rain even)..  :) :) :)  That was the first time since surgery that I've driven so far.  I now feel more confident driving to campouts that kickoff next month for me and my 8 year old.  Small victory, but great news to me.  Now, if the AN-side of my face will wake up just a little bit more to make it even easier to talk and blinking becomes more fuller, I'd be set!  ;)

Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Kaybo

« Reply #425 on: August 03, 2008, 08:45:39 pm »
Pooter~
YEA!!!  What a great little test of your driving endurance!  Way to go!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2008, 11:04:57 pm »
Pooter -

great milestone!  ;D   Congratulations!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2008, 11:18:18 pm »
Nice.  8)

I'm mainly glad to see that the weird allergic reaction and all that went away, and you are back to normal recovery mode. I was wondering there for a while...

Now go easy on the pedal for a while, okay? No need to set any new speed records.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #428 on: August 04, 2008, 02:47:00 am »
Brian,
Great to hear you're up to driving that distance.  Every victory, big or small, is great news!  Keep it up.

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #429 on: August 04, 2008, 09:24:25 am »
Way to go, Brian!  That is a major milestone and one that deserves a cheer - so ... WAHOO!

Glad you are continuing to feel better.  Hopefully your blink will come back soon (still waiting for mine, sigh...)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #430 on: August 04, 2008, 01:11:41 pm »
Thanks everyone!  The blink isn't normal yet, but knowing that I need to concentrate on it more helps.  The fact that I know what's going on means that I know what to do about it.  Consequently, things have been better in the blurry-ness department.  Unless I try to smile real big, try to talk too fast or you see my new bad a$$ scar (I keep my hair almost non-existent so everyone can see it if they look), you wouldn't be able to tell I had brain surgery almost 3 months ago (3 months on Friday, did I mention that?)..  ;)

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #431 on: August 04, 2008, 11:55:27 pm »
Yeah, what's with that whole talking too fast thing?

I'm past the one year mark and I still trip all over my words if I talk too fast.

It's like my brain can't keep up with my mouth  ::)

Congratulations on 3 months, Brian!!!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #432 on: August 05, 2008, 10:27:02 am »
Yea!  Another small victory!  For the first time since surgery, I jogged across the parking lot at work.. keep in mind that it was raining and in the middle of a hurricane.  And, I did't fall down, didn't trip, etc... I also didn't feel anything less than "normal" when I was done.  Yea for me!  I just had to share.  Carry on.  :)

Brian

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #433 on: August 05, 2008, 10:36:13 am »
Yay on the run through the parking lot!  I don't think I've run at all since I came home - you make me want to run out and try it - NOT!

Bad news on the hurricane, though!  Hope you are family are okay.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #434 on: August 05, 2008, 11:03:03 am »
Yeah, we live on the extreme northwest side of the county, so we're just getting some wind and some rain.  Jenni's hunkered down with both kids at home (they closed her work and she didn't know if she'd be able to pick up the kids later this afternoon), but so far we're okay. It's real slow today at work with lots of people not here, but that was expected. 

You don't wanna go out and run a few laps?  C'mon!  Fly down here and you can do it in the wind and rain! ;)

Brian