Author Topic: Pooter's surgery updates  (Read 82116 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Pooter's surgery updates
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:10:19 am »
Good morning all! This is Jenni, Pooter's wife. I just wanted to update you all as I know that you have become a second source of support and in a way family these last few weeks. I cannot thank you enough for not only the support and friendship you have provided Brian, but for the knowledge and wisdom as well. You were able to talk to him about things (and understand things) that I cannot possibly grasp no matter how hard I try because I simply have not gone through it in the ways that you all have.

Although he did not sleep well last night, he was in great spirits this morning and was ready to get this show on the road so to speak. He went promptly into surgery
(after kissing me under the mistletoe in the hallway) at 7:30. At 9:10, we got the first update from the OR nurse. They had gotten started at that point and all is going well. I will update throughout the day as I hear more from the OR nurse. Until then, keep praying...
Love,
Jenni
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Pooter's surgery updates
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:26:56 am »
Jenni-

So glad you are posting for Brian.  May I be the first to say that all thoughts and prayers are aimed his way this morning.  Brian has had such a good attitude, I am confident he will do well.  My husband would tell you to just brace yourself for your first look at him post op - rumor has it that he won't be at his best!  :)  That being said, my hubby told me I had never been more beautiful to him!

I know you are in for a long wait this morning.  I feel I had the easiest part of the surgery since I was blissfully unaware.  Just keep good thoughts and know that all Brian's Forum friends are cheering you BOTH on!

Will check back later and await good news!

Debbi - recovering in NJ...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:14:48 am »
Jenni -

thank you SO much for letting us know what is going on.  I'm glad that we were, and are, able to support Brian - and you - during this difficult time in your lives.  I am confident that things will go very well for Brian; like Debbie said, he has a great attitude - plus he's in the hands of very capable doctors.

Things will be rough at first, but each day he will feel better and make progress and he will find your love and support invaluable.

Please keep us updated when you can and let Brian know that we are pulling for him.

Stay strong; I'll keep you both in my prayers,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:48 am »
Hello again. The OR nurse just called out with another update and although there is nothing new to report, no news is good news and I wanted to share the good news! Brian is doing well and they will update me in a couple of hours again. It's a strange sensation to be going through something so traumatic in my life and not have him here beside me. Although I know I have the support of friends and family, it is just odd not to have him by my side. So many husbands and wives don't feel that emptiness when the other is not there, and I am thankful I actually have that. It reinforces the thought that he is meant to be here, beside me, and he will be again soon in a few hours (although maybe not looking his cutest). ;) I will update when I get more information.
Jenni
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:29:12 am »
Jenni,
I've got my pirate sox on for Pooter.  Prayers and good thoughts coming your way and Pooter's.  In a very short time he will be a postie!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:46 am »
Jenni~
I know that this waiting is the toughest for you -- I'm sorry you are having to edure this.  Glad to hear that things are going well so far.  Methodist is where I had my surgery 12 years ago.  Wonder if there is still a nurse there (on regular hall) named "Velma" -- she was my savior!!!  As I told Brian, if YOU need someone or talk (or vent) to in the coming days or weeks, please contact me!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:57 am »
Jenni -

Thanks for taking the time to update us.  Brian is lucky to have you by his side - even if it's not physically at the moment.  It'll all be over soon.  Then you can take a deep breath and relax, finally.  I am convinced that surgery day is harder on the loved ones than it is on the patient.  At least the patient gets to sleep through it all.

I'll be thinking of you both today and waiting to hear the good news!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:19:51 am »
Jenni,

thank you so very much for keeping us updated. I know your nerves may be on edge, but know that we are all cheering on the dear "Pooter"  (and YOU!) from near and far..... sending good vibes from me to you all!

Thanks again!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 12:38:12 pm »
Hi, Jenni:

Thank you so much for posting updates on your husband's surgery. 

We all know how stressful this time is for you and we really appreciate your making the effort to post messages on this forum on Brian's behalf.  I'm certain that with his relative youth, good health and good attitude as well as your solid support and obvious love to see him through this, he'll do well and be back with you in no time. 

Stay strong and know that many people you've never met are thinking and praying for Brian today and for you, too, Jenni, as you endure this trying time.  Although we welcome updates, your attention to your husband as he comes out of surgery is paramount.  We'll understand if it takes awhile between postings.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 12:53:59 pm »
Hi, Jenni,

I understand that the day of surgery is much more difficult for the family than the patient. Hang in there.
I'm praying for the both of you.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 01:01:47 pm »
OR nurse called again and Brian is doing well. They didn't have a time estimate at this time, but she said anesthesia and surgery are going along as expected. I should hear more around 3:00 or so.

To those of you that don't want this much information, then just wait until tonight and look back. :) I just know that some of you sit on pins and needles and knowing that he is doing fine might bring you some comfort. I will update whenever I hear something. Not only do I want his new "family" to know, but he would be very upset with me if I didn't keep you guys updated all the time. Thanks again for the support for both him and for me. We really appreciate the prayers.
Jenni

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 01:39:12 pm »
Sending my thoughts and best wishes your way also.  I can't even imagine going through all of that and having to wait so long.  The families are the heros in all of this. You have my utmost admiration.  Forehead kisses and massive huggles to you and to Pooter. 

Sue in Vancouver WA  USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

LADavid

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:47:19 pm »
Hi Jenni

Thank you so much for the update on Brian.  Please keep the updates coming.  Soon he'll be in ICU looking for ice chips.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 02:17:41 pm »
Jenni-

No such thing as too much information, at least for me.  I am so glad to hear that things are going well - it is a long surgery, which makes it much harder for you. 

BTW, I know what you mean about that amazing connection with your husband - and I suspect that you will find that this experience brings an even deeper level to that already immense connection.  I didn't think I could possibly love my husband more, but I do ...  (Sorry, if I am being too mushy...blame it on the AN.,..)

Hopefully by now Brian is in Recovery and you've had a chance to see him (and for him to see you!)  I can tell you that your face will be the most welcome thing he sees - I couldn't wait to see my husband and parents. 

Sending lots of positive energy your way...

Debbi
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 03:16:23 pm by Debbi »
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 03:09:18 pm »
*runs in to give off more healing vibes....*

good vibes, good vibes.....

Hang in there Jenni... and truly... thank you!
Phyl

*runs back out*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"