Author Topic: OMG16 having surgery  (Read 17968 times)

Kaybo

Re: OMG16 having surgery
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »
I just got a message from OMG16 -- she said that she is "OK," but that she won't know the results of the cultures & biopsies for about 2 weeks.  Let's continue to hope & pray that those come back clean.  She said that the pain is "better & easier to control now that she is not running a fever."  She is at home and "very tired,"  but at least she was able to write me on her own!  I'll try to keep you posted -- if she doesn't do it herself (she seems like a pretty strong lady to me!)!! :)
Kay
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2008, 09:11:48 pm »
OMG16 -

glad to hear that your surgery is over and that you are on the road to recovery. 

I've been thinking about you and will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 07:55:10 am »
Thanks Kay for the update... and regardless of the journey 16 now takes, sending wishes and yes, forehead smoochies, for a speedy recovery.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 04:26:27 pm »
Hey 16 - glad to hear the surgery went well.  Now the healing begins.  Keeping up the good thoughts & prayers.     Nancy

2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:21 pm »
I though all of you deserved an update on my surgery.  The good new is that there is not any evidence of Cancer and I am feeling better everyday.  I am amazed at how tired I am still.  The surgeons removed about a 3cm piece of my facial bone that was the root of the infections and also took part of my sinus out.  We will not know for about another month if the surgery was a complete success.  They will keep me on antibiotic until then and do further testing.  I am no longer running the high fevers and other than soreness the pain is pretty much gone.  I do have an increase in pain when my sinuses fill up with blood but it is only a temperary situation and much easier to deal with than the pre surgical pain.  Please do keep up all of your prayers for a complete remission of the infection.  It is my understanding that I may have to fight this off and on for the rest of my life.  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 05:03:16 pm »
Continued good thoughts and prayers are with you.  Rest, rest and more rest. 
Hugs and good thoughts,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 05:30:22 pm »
No Cancer = Good News.
No Fever = Good News.
No Pain (just soreness) = Good News.

Hang in there, O  :-*:-*:-*:-* 6 !

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2008, 07:25:45 pm »
16 - I'm glad you got some good news!  It sure sounds like you and your family have just been dumped on lately!  It seems these life trials should be spread out among the population a little more evenly instead of putting a select few through it all!

I can tell you are a strong lady and you are a great role model for many others with the way you handle life's rough spots.

Here's to a smooth road ahead from now on - no more pot holes or detours! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:22 pm »
Here is an update on my facial bone infection.  Last friday I had what I thought was the flu and boy do I wish it was.  Anyways my facial swelling, fever, night sweats and bone pain are back.  I have been off the antibiotics for 11 days now.  I called the surgeon today and was told by his nurse after her talking to him that he does not know why I am having problems again and that it could not be even happening so to go and see my primary care Dr because he can not help me.  He did not want to see me and the nurse had a very snotty attitude.  I also found out that the cultures were negative, however he did not send the bone that was mush (his words not mine) off for culture or the bone that he touched and it just turned to dust and fell apart.  Why would he not send the abnormal stuff for pathology and biopsy?  I am very angry and frustrated to say the least.

My primary care was out of the office until Monday so I saw the Dr filling in for him.  Thank goodness he was very kind and put me back on the antibiotics and made me an appt for Monday first thing to see my primary.  He could tell by looking at me with all of the swelling there was a problem that needed treatment.  He also said he would call my infectious disease Dr and talk to him and they made me an appt.  Unfortunately he is gone on Vacation until April 4th but he did say in his consultation report from 1st part of Feb. that he would want to do bone cultures of his own if it did come back.  I was told that the infectious disease Dr wants to rule out midline granuloma disease.  I'm thinking that Dentists/Oral surgeons who do the surgeries for the facial bones are way over their head on this one. 

Anyways I need lots of kisses to my forehead and prayers for this one.  I am getting pretty tired of this and have had enough!  :'(  16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 06:28:13 am »
16~
Wish I was there you take care of you like you always take care of others.  I know your family is probably taking good care of you.  I knew something must be wrong when I hadn't "heard" from you all week!

Sounds like we are having a rash of uncaring, insensitive Dr.'s on here these days!!  Another slap for another Dr.!!

Kisses to YOUR forehead!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 09:02:09 am »
16 -

Oh my goodness - like you need this on top of everything else.  I hope the antibiotics help give you some relief and that your doctors can get to the bottom of this.

You're right - it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't biopsy the abnormal appearing bone.  I'd ask him what his reasoning was behind that decision.

Hang in there and know we're thinking about you!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 09:08:01 am »
*runs in, gives 16 BIG MASSIVE HEALING HUGGLES... and makes sure Beanie sends "healing toots" to help the cause*  :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 04:35:56 pm »
OMG16:  I am so sorry to hear what is happening to you.   Thank goodness the MD covering for your PCP had HIS eyes/ears/heart open for you.   And made sure you have an appt. on Monday.   WHEW ! ! !
Will keep you in my thoughts & prayers (as I do with everyone here !).   

I hope there will soon be healing,    always good thoughts,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 05:35:55 pm »
OMG -

sorry to hear about this latest development.  Hope it all ends up okay.  Keep us posted.

Lots and lots of kisses to your forehead  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*   :-*   :-*  :-*  :-*

May you feel better soon,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OMG16

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 07:08:27 pm »
Thank you to all of you.  Your well wishes are helping.  :) 16