Author Topic: update on Rosalie  (Read 2865 times)

rosalie

update on Rosalie
« on: July 07, 2008, 09:11:28 am »
Hi everyone,

I had my surgery on July 1st. I can't believe how well everything went. I never would have believed it could have went this smooth. I know having information about what to expect with the surgery has helped me tremendously. I think I would have been very freaked out with the few problems I do have if I hadn't known they were a possibility before hand. I woke up from the surgery with no facial problems. The next day I did develop the dreaded eye and lip droop. I don't think it's as bad as others, and the doctor said he doesn't think it will be long term. I can definetly tell at the end of the day though, much more drooping. I've been using the eye drops quite a bit, but when I woke up this morning I noticed that I have a little bit of a tear in my right eye. I'm taking that as a good sign. My biggest problems is the fat graft from my stomach hurting. It's so hard to get comfortable at night. My surgery was on the right side and the stomach incision is on the left so I'm having a hard time lying down.  Other than that I feel great!

Rosalie
translab surgery July 1, 2008 with Dr. Luetje and Dr. Camarato in Kansas City to remove 2 cm tumor on right side.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: update on Rosalie
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:30:15 am »
Hi Rosalie-

First of all - so glad you are home and feeling better!  Excellent news about your face - and, yes, tears are a wonderful thing!  (Wish I could get some myself!)

I had to laugh about your fat graft - my docs did the same thing.  My AN was on the right side and my fat graft was on the left so no matter which side I lay on, it hurt.  Also, while my head was numb, my belly was most definitely NOT numb, so I think that incision was more uncomfortable than the one in my head. 

Keep us posted on your progress, Rosalie - and keep smiling!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

JulieW4

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 01:14:19 pm »
Rosalie,

You can check out my post with pictures of my belly. 

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6839.0

My belly incision was on the same side as my AN incision but I was very disappointed on how big it is.  Now I am just sleeping a lot.

Julie
2.7mm X 3.7mm AN
misdiagnosed for 13 years
complete hearing loss on right side
Had Translab surgery on June 30th, released from hospital 48 hours after completion of 5 hours of surgery
BAHA abutment surgery on Oct. 31st, received processor on Dec. 4th

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:19:34 pm »
Rosalie -

sounds like everything considered, you are having a very good recovery  :)  The eye and lip droop should get better with time.

Thanks for the update.  I hope things continue to go well.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 01:26:35 pm »
Rosalie,

You seem to be in very good spirits. That helps with the recovery. How's the dizziness?
I'm 3 wks post-op and also develpoed a delayed facial droop. Like yours, mine is probably temporary. Many wishes and prayers for continued improvement.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 02:37:56 pm »
Hi, Rosalie:

Congratulations on your successful surgery!  Welcome to postieland'. 

I trust the issues you've mentioned dealing with ('droop') will definitely be temporary and you'll be fine, soon.

Thanks for the update and the lift your good news brought to many of us.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 04:21:42 pm »
Hi Rosalie,
Congratulations on your return home!  Glad to hear your surgery went so well.  Here's hoping you continue to have a great recovery.  Doesn't it just figure though that the docs have to make you uncomfortable by doing surgery on both sides  of your body by doing the fat graft on the opposite side from the AN.  I wonder why?  Maybe since my doc doesn't mind my endless questions, I'll send him an e-mail and find out!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

cindyj

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 05:10:58 pm »
Hi Rosalie,

Glad you're home and things went so well for you!  And thanks for updating...as always, all these details are so helpful to those of us still trying to make a decision.  But, more importantly, good to know you are ok!!  Hope things continue to go well,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Tamara

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:30:19 pm »
My AN and fat graft incision were both on the left, though the fat one didn't bother me at all.  Go figure. Anyhow, my dr. says he always does it on the left so that no one will ever think you've had an appendectomy (assuming you're brought in unconscious or something, I guess) and that if you have appendicitis symptoms they won't be overlooked.  I guess that makes sense, though it's a pain for those of you with your AN on the right.

Glad to hear of your successful surgery and great recovery...hope the droop is VERY temporary.

Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 08:10:51 pm »
Glad you are doing good ...

I was told fat was taking from left side so that if in an emergency situation and you were unable
to answer that the scar from fat harvest wouldn't be mistaken for and appendectomy scar....
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

rosalie

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 08:20:42 pm »
Thanks everyone for all the well wishes. It helps to know there are other people who know what I'm going through. My biggest problem right now is getting enough food. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would ever say that! Everything tastes metallic. I keep trying to find something that I can eat that tastes good. I know I need to get some nutrition so my body can heal, but right now it's easier said than done. I'm kind of in a catch 22. I'm nauseated and light headed from not eating. The worse I feel, the less I feel like eating. My husband has been a godsend. He went to the store last night and got me some Carnation Instant Breakfast. I was able to drink a few sips and felt better. Today I'm forcing myself to eat even though I don't want too.

I went for a walk twice today. The first time it was quite bright out so we didn't get very far before turninig around. Tonight we went for a block or so. It felt great to get out and move around a bit. I feel like I could have kept walking but I'm trying to not overdue it.

Julie,
I looked at your pictures. Your incision is out a little farther than mine. Mine is right next to the ear. Once I can wash my hair I don't think you'll even see it. My doctor didn't use staples on either incision. I have steri-strips. My stomach scar looks like it's about 4 inches long. I think the least they can do if they have to take fat is take it all. If I'm going to be sore anyways I want a flat stomach! I'm with you on wanting to wash my hair. I've been trying to wash it with a washcloth but it still feels pretty nasty. I think the steriods are making me hyper because I can't sleep at all. The doctor asked if I wanted sleeping pills, but I turned him down. I think once I'm off the steriods I'll settle down and sleep. Right now I have so much energy I feel bad just sitting around.

Syl,
I didn't have any problems with dizziness. I lucked out on that I guess. I guess I'll have to get dizzy the old fashioned way - drinking margaritas!

Since I've never had an appendectomy I never would have thought about that as a reason for doing the fat harvest on the left side. It sounds logical when you think about it though.

Rosalie
translab surgery July 1, 2008 with Dr. Luetje and Dr. Camarato in Kansas City to remove 2 cm tumor on right side.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 08:40:26 pm »
Food was a problem for me too... hungry but nothing tasted good and I would eat little bits of alot
of things trying to find something that tasted right... still have a metal taste in mouth but
kinda used to it . ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery