Author Topic: Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer  (Read 58230 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 07:51:40 am »
Thanks TP, & everyone that have sent good thoughts my way.
Well 4, what can I say?  I have a bunch of excuses in my bag, like any addict.   I've given up other 'bad habits',  this one is the toughest.  Been smoking 34 years, & I really do enjoy my cigs - it's not like I wanted to quit, I did preop because I worry about the breathing when I go under anesthesia.   I'm not smoking as much as usual, but, no, I won't be quitting,  just not ready for it....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Desilu

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 12:20:21 pm »
Hi Nancyann,

Glad to hear that you are doing well! You are always so positive and up-beat, you are an inspiration to many, including myself. Please keep us posted on your progress.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 12:49:16 pm »
Nancy ... as I ex-smoker ... 20+ years ... quit in 2001 ... I understand ...

I used the patch to quit .. its not full proof .. and you still need to tackle to habit of smokin ... * for about 2 years I did very little fishing or stopping after work for a drink with the guys* because both of these involed smoking! ... but you can stay on the patch for months.. while you break these habits.....  I was a year before I could go thu the day with wishing I had a smoke ...

Glad you got your eye weights back! .. sounds like your on the recovery road.... and stay clear of potholes!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 12:27:20 pm »
I'm with 4 on the smoking thing I have to say! A great reason to stop this time. Will certainly speed up the healing process. I'm almost 20 years stopped and grateful for every second of it. I quit sans patch/pills/acupuncture. Cold turkey. I wanted my lungs back. Food for thought..........

We love you, that's all,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 12:33:09 pm »
Patch didn't work for me, I smoked with it & my heart started jumping to a different beat.....   I quit pre surgery with the Chantix, worked great.  When I'm ready to quit again I've still got the chantix.....  I KNOW, I KNOW, quit while I'm ahead;   just not ready guys......
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 01:43:08 pm »
Nancy,

Two of my very favorite aunties and my step-mother were smokers.

They gave me arguments similar to yours… as to how they enjoy their cigarettes and they don’t really want to quit.

Auntie #1 died in 1990 – Lung Cancer
Stepmother – died in 1995 of Leukemia
Auntie #2 died in 2006 of intestinal cancer

They have missed out on watching their grand nieces, nephews and own grandkids grow… and are very much missed.

You have been through such a battle with your tumor- why add gunk to your body that will only precipitate more tumors to grow elsewhere in you body?  (With a higher chance of the pathology not showing benign the next time…)

Nancy- I hope you and I are still conversing back and forth for years to come on this forum - reminiscing about music from the 70’s and issues that pertain to us in our 70’s.

If you can’t do this for you than do it for your 82-year-old Mom (who is going to need you)… and your ANA buddy in Oregon  ;D.

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 07:17:51 pm »
The doc left a staple in behind my right ear.  I'll call the office tomorrow.   Hopefully it can wait till I see him 1/9/08?   There was also a stitch left in at the back of my head on the right,  but my neighbor, a recovery room nurse, took it out for me.   Wonder if she does staples?  There's alos a piece of stitch on my left eyelid, just the knot part, I tried to remove it, but since my vision was blurry I missed & cut the extra line & left the knot.  Oh boy.....

I'll see my PCP Thurs., 12/13 to get the staple out (YEAH);  This morning I took out the white stitch sitting on my lower lip - feels much better!
The nurse I spoke to at Johns Hopkins was very apologetic, even though it wasn't her who took out the staples & stitches....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 09:54:26 am by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

TP

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:09:13 pm »
Several weeks after my AN was removed I found a piece of a stich in my forehead. I had no idea that I had a hallow on during my AN surgery. I found another piece of stich in the back of my head a few weeks later. It was actually fun finding these little surprises. I look back and I guess I didn't scrub my head very well after my surgeries....I didn't have much feeling in my head and I was concerned that I would pull my scar area.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Joef

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 11:13:24 am »
I'm posting this images for Nancy.... of before and after surgery! there is still some swelling, but she looks great!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 11:25:19 am »
Joef:  Thank you so much for posting the pictures for me.    I'm 7 weeks post op, so healing continues.  The doc said the results will continue to improve for 4-6 months post op.    I think it's important for those with chronic facial paralysis, with no chance of nerve recovery to know there is help out there.
Remember folks,  my facial nerve was cut, reanastamosed, but I never regained any movement, never had the 'tingling' for 17 months.
For those whose facial nerve was stretched, etc., people have begun to have movement after 2-3 years. 
This surgery is for those who've had paralysis for a long time or know there is no chance of nerve recovery.
Also, Dr. Byrne told me recently 1 patient needed to have the tendon 'tightened' after 1 year - he doesn't know why the tendon stretched, other patients hadn't had that happen,  but he wanted me to know I may need some 'tweeking' of the tendon down the road (fine by me).

Oh, besides the TTT surgery, I also had a platinum chain placed in the upper eyelid, lower lid tightened,   a facelift,  browlift,  eyelid surgery, & chemical peel lower eyelids;  so this was my EXTREME MAKEOVER !!

Thanks again Joe
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:07:05 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Joef

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2008, 12:30:14 pm »
I would say the MAKEOVER was a success! ... Glad I could help ... if anyone else has photo's to post .. just drop a line ... a fishing line that is  ;)

ps... the pictures actually are residing on http://www.frappr.com/acousticneuroma
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:32:33 pm by Joef »

lori67

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2008, 01:21:47 pm »
Nancy, I would say that's a success also!  You look amazing!!

And it's not just the "Mona Lisa" smile on your lips, but your whole face is smiling!  I hope things continue to get better for you!  You've been through a lot!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

1wareagle

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2008, 06:37:14 pm »
NANCY YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!!  :) I was not expecting the change, this early, to be so dramatic. You could be a poster child for this procedure. I hope it continue to get better every day!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Jeanlea

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2008, 08:23:32 pm »
Nancy, what a success!  Now you look as great on the outside as you looked the whole time on the inside.  I didn't realize it would be such a nice smile.  You must be so happy with the results.  Thanks for sharing with us.  (And Joe's help, too.)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

TP

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 09:04:59 pm »
Nancy, these pictures are awesome, you look fantastic. I am so happy for you. I know you are tickled. Your face looks great and it looks like the Dr did a few other things too.  ;) Your paralysis is more severe than mine. Does your face still have any pain? My paralysis hurts when I talk a lot during the day. I find at night I just want to keep my mouth shut and let my face relax!

Thank you so much for posting these pictures. You are beautiful but we've always known that of you because your beauty starts from the inside!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision