Author Topic: Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer  (Read 58297 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer
« on: December 01, 2007, 09:08:26 am »
Hi guys - I just got home from my mom's.  WHEW !!!!  What a surgery !!!!   It took 10 hours, but remember I also had the bilateral facelift, browlift ( & the unnecessary but vainly wanted eyelid surgery).    I was 3 nights inpatient instead of 1 because they accidentally tore my left cornea (good eye) during surgery.   
Right now the left half of my lips are stretched across the mouth & the right side of my lips are at about a 40 degree angle.   I couldn't open my mouth at all post op & had to use a catheter to drink water & take liquid antibiotics, etc.   I still can't open my mouth wide, but can eat soup, yogurt, mashed banana (mom gave me a bunch of her chicken soup to take home - I've been living on it the past 4 days at her condo - MMMMMM   good!).
The droop is gone - YEAH!!!!!   & of course it will take about 6 months to look normal; so I'll return to work in 4 weeks a 'work in progress'.
The platinum weight is in my right eyelid, so it's still swollen, but no redness so far (YEAH!!!)
I would highly recommend the temporalis tendon transfer to those with chronic paralysis, just be prepared - this was NO walk in the park !!!!
Thank you all for your personal emails to me - I can't write individually because my vision is still blurry & I'm very tired,  but wanted to let you all know I'm doing great right now & I so appreciated seeing all your notes of concern when I logged on !!    I MISSED YOU GUYS. !!!!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

berniejfnp

Re: Post Temporalis Tendon Transfer
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 09:12:58 am »
Nancyann,

Welcome home!! Have a good recouperation.  I am sure the forum members feel the same, what a trooper you are.

Bernie

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 11:07:43 am »
We missed you too Nancy!

Welcome Home!

Gentle Hugs (I bet you ache all over...)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

cookiesecond

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:28:50 am »
Hi Nancy,
I am so glad things are heading in the right direction for you!!!! You are a great source of inspiration for this group and we are praying you'll soon put all this behind you.Take care and keep us posted when you feel like it. Aren't moms great?!
Hugs and prayers,
Lynn

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:26:24 pm »
Mom's are the best!!  Thank God mine (age 82) is still spry enough to have taken care of me the past week (she even held her airobics class Tues. & went to her card game yesterday - & won $3.00!).
Hey 4 - aching all over my face - my lips burn on the right side - I took an oxycodone 5 mg about 12 noon so I'm feeling better now, just a bit woozy.  I'm needing the pain meds less & less, about 3 times a day now.  Alot of itching too (good sign, healing is taking place where the stitches were).
Thanks again to EVERYONE !!!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:24:17 pm »
Three cheers for Nancy and her amazing 82-year-old MOM!

Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 03:37:29 pm »
Nancyann,

Welcome home after surgery! I miss your posts! Good luck in your recovery.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 05:58:47 pm »
Welcome back, Nancyann!
Here's a special puppy dance to help you heal!

We're all so glad for you to put this surgery behind you now, so relax, let your Ma pamper you a bit longer, take it easy and please know that we are all sending you healing thoughts and good enerygy.

Be well,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:16:24 am »
I too will do the puppy dance !!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 07:18:35 am »
Welcome back, Nancyann!

Updated picture in six months.  The countdown starts...................  So happy you're back and well and itching!

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 07:40:57 am »
Brenda:  I'll have to get a 'Mona Lisa' outfit to go with the 'Mona Lisa' smile!!!   Thanks for all your good thoughts!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

er

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 12:17:49 am »
Hello Nancyana,

Sure was glad to hear you are doing ok. It sure is nice to have someone take care of you. That will mean your going to be like your mother at her age. Nice!
My prayers are with you to heal fast. let us know if you have amy problems with the p. weight.
eve

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 03:56:41 pm »
Hi everyone:  Well, it's been a week since I returned home.  My lips are starting to look more normal, the right side is still swollen & there's a dissolvable stitch that is visible on my lower lip that is annoying but is less thick.   My face is still swollen, but less so.  The droop is still gone, which is the best part of this whole ordeal.
My right eyelids are still swollen from the platinum implant - I don't  need to put the lubricant in as much, maybe 4-5 times a day.
All in all I'm very happy with the surgery & progress I've made in healing.
Unfortunately I am smoking cigarettes again, but am cutting down as I know this slows my healing.
Well, that's it for now.
Always good thoughts to everyone,   Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 10:24:27 pm »
Nancy,

RE
“ Unfortunately I am smoking cigarettes again �

:-\

OK Canadian mother bear coming on here... NO NO.. NO NO… NO – don’t cope with stress this way. Go get some hard suck candies to get through this. This is the last thing your body needs right now- you need good nutritious stuff in your body. (ok ok hard candies are not nutritious but these are sure better than cigarettes)

I know this is a very difficult time – 2 major surgeries in 2 years … but Nancy you just got to get through this without cigarettes.

I’ll bet because of all the bruising, swelling etc that you are staying home and being a “shut in� (MMMM?) … and I understand this completely.

Can you do any exercising at home?
* Stationary bike
* Palates ball,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_ball
http://pilates.about.com/od/buyingequipmentetc/p/PilatesBall.htm
 A Jane Fonda work out video (Gads I AM dating myself here)
Nancy… your heart and lungs will love you for doing this.

Today our Portland OR group met for ANA support meeting. One common thread was how important exercise is for the healing process and how important it is to get all the blood circulating. Smoking will only inhibit your healing process.

Nancy I think if you really set your mind to it you can heal from this surgery (mentally, physically and spiritually) without cigarettes.

You’re AN family is here to get you though this – and telling us that you gave in to “the pack� is the first step. The second step is to toss “the pack� … and do what you can to be a strong individual.

HUGS

TP

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:10:03 pm »
Nancy, I am so happy your surgery went well! I missed you and your words of encouagement. I hope these next several weeks that you are able to heal and feel much better. Big hug to you!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision