Author Topic: Adrian's Update  (Read 19583 times)

susier

Re: Adrian's Update
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2007, 05:54:17 pm »
Great news Sam & Adrian!
What a cute couple!  Take care and keep us informed of your speedy recovery!

Pembo

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2007, 06:55:11 am »
What a cute couple you are! Glad to hear Adrian is doing so well. Make sure he gets lots of rest and doesn't over do it AND make sure you get some rest too. Being the support person is tough work as well. Don't be afraid to do something for yourself!!!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

matti

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2007, 09:49:27 am »
Thanks for the pictures, you and Adrian are a beautiful and amazing couple, your love and devotion sure shines throughout

(Battyprincess and I like wedding cake ;))

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Denisex2boys

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2007, 10:59:43 am »
I am sooooo' glad to hear that he is doing so well!  I only hope and prayer that should they recommend surgery to me that I have as good an attitude as Adrian does!  YOu two are so sweet - I am glad all is well!
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2007, 02:45:21 pm »
Yo Adrian!!

The ANA forum should have a "Squeaky Wheel" Award and it should go to you and Sam for putting up such a fight to get the best health care possible for your AN surgery! It pays to have Pirattitude and not get shoved around by the insurance system. Woo! Woo! Wooo!!!!!!

Ain't it great to be back home? I didn't get home for 2 months and it sucked, but I had really good folks caring for me.
Thanks for posting the pics--would like to see more of that around here!

Take care of each other!

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2007, 03:14:37 pm »
Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you guys and hoping that Adrian's recovery continues to go smoothly!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2007, 08:01:49 am »
Hello ALL!  “I’M BACK!!!!!!!â€? This is my first “Postie-Postâ€?.  This is also extremely difficult to type as my right hand feels like a dead piece of fish….lol, but I will persevere!

You ALL are amazing!  I cannot believe I received phone calls from Terri and Patti in ICU and because people were worried about Sam and I.  Before I get started, let me say a few words about Sam.  I believe Jim Scott called her my “rockâ€?.  She was my rock; she has now reached Mount Everest status!  She was amazing through the entire surgery.  What none of you know is that Sam has 3 children from a previous marriage.  I was not the only worry on her mind. Sam’s Mother moved into our house while we were in Tampa and made sure all 3 kids were taken care of including school, homework, dinner, and all the extra things involved in parenthood.  She kept calling them and never letting the children know her worries and concerns about me.  Times like this really test what you’re made of, and Sam has strength in spades!  Everyone that knows Sam falls in lover with her immediately.  She has an infectious personality.  As life throws us curveballs, one of the many things I am so appreciative for is making our relationship so much stronger.  Wow…I always new Sam was strong, but she truly has shown me a new element of her persona.  I LOVE YOU BABE!

She never left my side.  ICU at Tampa General was like a 5 star hotel.  I also had 2 (am/pm) of the best ICU nurses alive!  They both were so incredibly nice to Sam and brought her a reclining chair for her to sleep in.  She only had to leave from 6:30 am – 8:30 am for shift change and as you all know she was by my side the entire time.  I hated leaving ICU for a normal room….too much of a downgrade.

I am getting stronger and stronger everyday and I look forward to the challenges ahead.  Many things are like learning them for the first time all over again.  My handwriting is atrocious.  Starting Monday I am going to write anything for about 30 mins if I can handle that and increase the load steadily from there.  My walking is good.  I have to learn how to deal with undulations in pavement all over again.  This feels like an entirely new phenomenon to me…lol.  Starting Monday as well, I want to walk around the neighborhood.

This is honestly harder than I thought it would be…..silly me I guess.  It shows how much one relies on their family and friends for support.  Thank you to my AN FAMILY for all of your love, support, and encouragement.  When Sam read me the many posts on the forum it was impossible not to cry.  A good cry though, one of overwhelming love………and very good drugs!!!  They may have removed the tumor, but they left my sense of humor!

Talk to everyone soon!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

robynabc

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2007, 09:55:54 am »
Adrian, 

So good to hear you up and around.  I told Eric that you were better and he says Hi.  He wondered if you have any swallowing issues.  It seems everyone has their one or two problems.  He is frustrated with his vocal cord and interested in how you were doing. :)  I am so happy you are doing well.  One thing that helped us.  Our doctor told us that Eric would feel completely different in a month so just think of that. He was a ton better after a month.   You sound great.  It will just get better from here.  You know you really find out alot about people when something like this happens.  I am so glad you found out how many people love you. 

One question "Is Transpetosal Translab?"

Robyn
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:10:17 am by robynabc »
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2007, 02:23:21 pm »
Adrian  -

it's truly great to hear from you.  I can totally relate to your comment of "this is honestly harder than I thought it would be".  My neurotologist tried to tell me what the first few days and months post op would be like, but I had to experience it personally to know what he was talking about.  That said, I have to tell you that it gets better every day; before you know it you'll be back to doing things you used to do.  Remember, you, and your body, have been through a lot and it takes time to heal - but you'll get there.  I'm glad you have Sam - and from the sound of it, her incredible mother - to help you during your recovery.

Keep up the good work - we're all thinking of you  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2007, 05:00:14 pm »
Hello again.  I was looking through this thread and noticed that the details of my surgery were never told…….both to let all you know and to hopefully educate another newbie.  My surgery took 15 hrs because I was a “bleederâ€?.  My tumor was very sticky and very vascular so every time they peeled away at it, they had to pack it and wait for it to stop bleeding.  Silly Sam and I also for expecting a “normalâ€? surgery; there is NOTHING that we do that is normal!  Personally for my life, I always go against the grain, so my tumor removal shouldn’t be any different….lol.

My doctors used a Transpetosal approach which is an expanded translab.  Given the size and more importantly, the placement of my tumor (all against the brain and brain stem, and none in the ear canal) they felt this to be the best option.  Consequently I have a larger incision than most that wraps tightly, but longer around the back of my right ear.  They removed most of the tumor, but the part on the facial nerve they left because it was sticky and they wanted to decrease the chances for facial paralysis.  I had an MRI the next day.  Dr. van Loveren, my neurosurgeon, showed Sam the MRI and she says it’s only a sliver of the golf ball my tumor used to be.  The doctors left more than they wanted, and after a years plus time of facial nerve healing I will need radio surgery.  Also, since my tumor was so vascular, chances of the blood supply being cut of after surgery are not good.

My symptoms are pretty typical:
   Head Pain
   Tongue Laceration (because of the tube in my mouth for 24hrs total)
   Facial paralysis
   Face feels swollen.  I “feelâ€? like Rocky!.....lol
   Dry eye.  My eye doesn’t blink, but does close when I make it.  There are times when it does not close all the way, a little gap.  This should improve with time if not I will get a gold weight my the doctor does not recommend at this time.
   Shooting pains through my head, ear, cheek.  Dr. Danner says this is good, but will be excruciating.  These are the nerves re-generating.
   Un-coordination in my right hand.  This is already getting better this past week.  Should return to normal or close.

I’m walking and getting about great!  They expect my facial functions to get much better, but as with all AN’s nothing is ever guaranteed.  Theoretically speaking, it should heal.

I thank God for my surgical team.  I was the reason for the long surgery, not them.  I’m so incredibly happy to have them.  I’d hate to think of the outcome from a less experienced team.  I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again about my surgical team……..money couldn’t buy better surgeons.  I truly believe that and that is the best feeling.  Tampa General is about to open the largest Neurosurgery wing in the nation.  Dr. van Loveren is the head of Neurosurgery.  EVERYONE at TGH says he is one of the best in the country.  I’m just glad he is/was one of my surgeons.  When he came in the next day I shook his hand and very gratefully said thank you.  I told him that surgery took a little longer than he expected.  He replied, and this is one of the reasons I love him…..â€?You kicked my ass!â€?  I just looked at him and said….â€?Yes I did!â€? and we had a good laugh.  His younger partner, Dr. Levine, pre surgery was worried about me having swallowing problems post-op as I was having to occasionally force myself to swallow pre-op.  I did not in ICU and I do not since I’ve been home.  That is a good feeling.  When I woke up in ICU tied to the bed with a tube in my throat, and about to break the bed apart, even in my angst, I did notice that my thoughts were so much clearer and lighter.  That also is a good feeling.  I just told Sam this evening that even though I’ve recovering right now, I’m so much less tired and wore out.  I just feel better.

I go back this Wednesday to get my hardware….lol….staples removed.  The incision is healing beautifully.  Sam says its one if the best sew-up-jobs she has ever seen.  It’s very tight and was never red, but always flesh colored.

Talk to you all again soon.
Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Obita

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2007, 05:33:24 pm »
Welcome to the other side Adrian!!! 

It is great to see you on the forum.  Yep, no one can really prepare you for what it is going to be like after you get a hole drilled in your head.  They can tell us, we can read about it but, until you start moving around and trying to do things, you really can't believe that certain tasks take real work.  I was terrible with the typing the first week or so.  My brain would say "right hand type" and my left hand would type.  So Adrian would come out:  ;kue;v - no kidding!!  I was so afraid wires were crossed in me head!!

Take it easy my friend and don't walk too far on Monday.  You don't want to have to hitchhike home!!   ;D

Say hi to Super Mom for me.  I agree with you Adrian, Sam is one great lady. 

Good luck with the hardware removal.  It is a piece of cake.  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

susier

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2007, 07:13:04 pm »
Hi Adrian,
  It's great to hear from you.  So glad you're doing so well.  i can't even begin to imagine what you're going through, but sounds like you have a great attitude which always helps.  I'm sure you're gonna come out of this just fine.  Keep up the recovery and will continue to send good thoughts and prayers your way.

Pembo

« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2007, 08:47:31 am »
Welcome to the other side. I also had a sticky bleeder and my surgery was 16 hours. I too am one that can't just have the "normal" surgery. :)

My handwriting was horrible as well and the OT told me to color! Yes, get out those crayons and color. It really did help gain strength and was actually very relaxing. It also didn't hurt that my almost 3 yo had someone to color with her. My boys loved the fact that mom's "homework" was coloring. (A smile in remembering)  Something to consider....
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2007, 03:43:04 pm »
WELCOME ADRIAN (now POSTIE)
We are all here pulling for you for your recovery.  You have such a positive attitude and that goes a long way.  This board was so helpful when I had my surgery in February. 

The main thing to remember is not to overdo or you will pay for it.  Some days you may think you feel better than you really do and your body will let you know, you need rest.

What a jewel Sam has been...you are blessed! 

Sending get well vibes your way.
Jean       
Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

sgerrard

« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2007, 11:49:38 pm »
Adrian, its good to hear from you, it sounds like it went great, all things considered. I agree, I think you had the best team on your side. I hope your recovery continues well.

If what I learned about radiation and the facial nerve at Stanford is right, you should not have trouble with that follow up in a year to treat the last bit of the AN. They seemed to think that the facial nerve is pretty resilient to radiation, so if you can get function back now, you can expect to keep it.

All the best to you and Sam. Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.