Author Topic: Adrian's Update  (Read 19354 times)

sgerrard

Re: Adrian's Update
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2007, 06:26:12 pm »

It's funny isn't it, how close we can become through this diagnosis?  We bond, feel the same shock and pain and we hold each other up and yet we wouldn't know each other if we met on the street.  I think it's wonderful.  Now, let's celebrate.  It's a great day in the neighborhood...Holly    

It surprised me to discover how much it mattered to me to get the news on Adrian. I will admit, the thought that "no news is bad news" entered my mind more than once. It really was a relief to hear that "Rocky" Adrian was up and about in the ICU, no doubt complaining about that awful tube they had down his throat. And you are right, Holly, it is wonderful.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Battyp

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2007, 06:37:18 pm »
I'm thinking Sam and Adrian need to tie the knot and have a big wedding and invite us all for Cake!  LOL
They seem to have such a solid loving relationship. Hoping he's resting well tonight and Sam too! 

M

Jeanlea

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 08:02:40 pm »
I am so happy to hear the good news!  I too, had frequently been checking for updates.  So glad we all got the update.  Good wishes for an uneventful recovery.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

pattibobatti

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2007, 08:15:34 pm »
Hi Holly,

The part about we would not even know each other if we met on the street is not right...   Maybe we could post lots of pictures of ourselves so we might feel more connected to each other.... something to make that statement not true.......

I cant figure out how to change my picture on this forum~   Maybe we need some help with all this..
You would think with all the technology we have available that we could make this forum much more personable.

Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

sgerrard

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2007, 10:13:56 pm »
I don't know, pattibobatti, I kind of like the parrot picture.  :)
I've added a picture of me to my profile, so now you can spot me walking down the street.
The main thing is you need to have the picture on some web site somewhere before you can load it into your profile. When I get back from my special little trip, I'll offer some more help if you want.
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

marg

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 11:30:12 pm »
Steve that would be great.  I don't know how to post a picture either.  Family members should at least know what each other looks like.  ;D .

Maybe Adrian and Sam will post pictures / video of the wedding so we can all "be there" once they tie the knot.  Oh brother !  We do sound like family ...... giving 'suggestions' like we would to our own families  :o .

Anyway,  I know that I will sleep better tonight knowing that 'the kids' are both okay and things will  get better day by day for them.

Margaret

Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Denisex2boys

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 11:01:32 am »
I am SOOOOO relieved the everything is going well!  What a relief that he is now on the 'post-op' side of things :)
- Oct. 16/08 - 12 hour 'blob-ectomy' at LHSC in London, ON - Dr. Lownie and Parnes
- Some internal facial numbness (cheek, tongue, eye), SSD, headaches (getting better), dry eye, some balance issues..... but othwise AWESOME!

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 11:23:31 am »
Yeah Adrian and Sam!!!!  I'm so glad!!!!!  Now I can't wait to hear that he's home!!!!  Home is such a good place to be after that surgery!!!

Patti and Holly I can tell you from experience....even if those pictures are little you'll still recognise people...we've had two get togethers where I was relying on that small photo only to recognise people, and I totally did.  Of course, I was looking for them!  It would be nice though if this site had a photo gallery like some others do so we could see some bigger pictures! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 01:29:29 pm »
WOW! I am so sorry tohave made you all worry like that! I am so touched by the love and warmth we receive always from you all. When I picked up the phone and heard from Patti and Terri that you all were so worried I couldn't help but feel bad about what I did but also extremely loved! Thank you so much and I am so sorry for not being able to post sooner, but as I am sure you all now know I did not want to leave Adrian’s side for one moment!

We are home .... yes you heard me correct.... HOME as of right now! Adrian's recovery has been amazing to say the least! Today he doesn't feel well because he over did it yesterday... thinking he is Rocky and all..(HAHAHA) But all in all we are more than thrilled with the outcome and his recovery!

The day of surgery was VERY long however and VERY hard. The doctors had told us they thought surgery would take 6-8 hours. So when 8 hours came around and they said that they needed a couple more hours I became a little nervous. We asked for an update every 2 hours and they kept saying the same thing. “Everything is going well, we need a couple more hours.� When the 12 hour mark hit and we received the same response I at that point began pacing and stood outside of the OR doors where I had said goodbye to him and watched him get wheeled through before surgery. When 14 hours arrived the lady who was there to communicate between us and the doctors had left for the day and the surgical waiting room which was full all day was empty because all the other surgeries were through and I started to have an anxiety attack as to how do we get a new update???? So I decided to call the surgical recovery room and told them my situation. The nurse was very nice and said she would go and see if she could get some information and let me know, and she came back saying that they were finishing up and the doctors would be out soon to talk to us. I was SOOOOOO happy to finally hear that! :)

They wheeled him out about an hour later and straight to the NICU. They told me to give them 45 mins to get him situated and then I could visit. So I went up 45 minutes later. They weren’t ready yet so I had to wait a bit outside the door, but finally  around 12:45am I was let in and got to see him. He was intubated and the machine was still hooked and breathing for him like he was in a coma and this made me nervous but the nurse said this was because of how long his surgery took and that it would need to stay for awhile. I then noticed his hands were tied to the bed and this was because natural instinct would be to pull the tubes out.

A little after 1am they decided to wake him and make sure he could understand by giving him some basic tasks to perform like squeezing there hands and blinking and moving his feet and toes.

He did all of this with flying colors and was extremely irritated that they would not remove the tubes. I know it must be a horrible feeling …. Every time his pain meds started to wear off a bit he would wake and become extremely agitated about us not understanding that he wanted the tubes out.

It was a VERY hard night and I just tried to soothe him and calm him as best I could and explained that his surgery was lengthily and this was a precaution they had to take. I became distraught myself for him when they kept saying “Another hour or so� and that hour would come and they would still not remove the tubes. He finally had it removed around 8am! I wasn’t allowed to be there when they removed it but thank God he had a wonderful nurse to be by his side for it.

ALL the nurses were extremely nice and understanding and caring. I was so thrilled that they let me stay with him through all of this! :)

This has been one heck of an experience I must say... and I know that the journey is not quite overy yet... but of course the scary parts are at least for now out of the way!

Thank you all so much for your support, thoughts, prayers, love, good wishes and cyber hugs! They are without a doiubt what helped pull us through this! We love you all!

xox
Sam~
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 01:34:18 pm »
BLESS YOUR HEARTS!

Thank you for writing and that couldn't be better news!  There is no place like home.  Keep up the good recovery and we are still there for you both.

Hugs,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

Obita

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 03:52:37 pm »
Dear Sam and Adrian:

Wow.  Home after a 15 hour surgery in 4 days..........you must be one healthy guy Adrian!!

Take it easy Adrian, it sounds like you know that now.  I didn't listen very well either and paid for it the next day too.

Thanks for the update Sam, cyber hugs from Minnesota, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Pembo

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 06:52:33 pm »
I can't believe he is home so soon! Good for both of you! Remember one week of fatigue for every HOUR of anesthesia. Make sure "Rocky" doesn't over do it. REST = recovery.

Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 06:54:50 pm »
Sam -

thanks so much for the update.  I, like everyone else, am thrilled that Adrian is home now and doing well   :)

I'll continue to keep you both in my prayers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lisa Peele

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:09 pm »
Welcome Home Sam & Adrian! 
Lisa Peele, 38
Dublin, OH
4.3 cm X 3.3 cm (right)
Translab.
House Ear Clinic (Friedman and Hitselberger)
June 14, 2004

Battyp

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 07:40:30 pm »
YEAH!!!  I am amazed how soon Adrian came home. I guess Mema won't be stopping in to meet Adrian tomorrow!  
Sam your such a trooper and inspiration. I can just see you marching into surgery and pushing the intercom demanding and update! None of us would have blamed you. Thanks for the update and may Adrian continue to have a speedy recovery.

Don't forget to take care of you!
Hugs to you both,
M