Author Topic: Adrian's Update  (Read 19357 times)

tripsplus6

Adrian's Update
« on: September 08, 2007, 09:53:37 am »
Just talked to Sam, Adrian is doing great, in ICU but already up walking around and will be in a regular room by this evening.  She has not left his side.  She said to tell everyone he is doing beautifully, they left some of the tumor on the facial nerve and he will have radiotherapy in the future for that.  I know we are all so relieved!        Terri

sgerrard

Re: Adrian's Update
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 09:57:11 am »
Awesome!
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

robynabc

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 09:58:39 am »
Great to hear!! 
18 yr Son 4.5+ CM AN  surgery 6-27-07 at CU in Denver.Drs Lillihei and Jenkins. Complete removal on facial nerve with no paralysis at all. Paralized vocal cord that is causing swallowing & voice issues.  SSD. Went to a movie theater 11 days after surgery. Great Doctors!! That is most important.

tripsplus6

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:04:37 am »
Oops!  Looks like Patti and I both talked to Sam at about the same time.  Please see Patti's update on the other thread about "Surgery scheduled Sept 6."  What a great ICU unit to let family stay around the clock like that.         Terri

pattibobatti

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 10:08:53 am »
Hi Terri,

I had just talked to Sam too!!! I posted on the other site but wanted everybody interested to get all the news on this thread too.  

He had a 15 hour surgery.  He was intubated until 8 am the next morning which made him very frustrated.  He has a bit of facial paralysis.  Sam said that he talks like Sylvester Stallone! The doctors are confident that his face will be fine.  

Sam was up 40 hours straight.  She sounded great on the phone.  She could not post while in the ICU, but thinks she wil be able to tomorrow.  I did tell her we were concerned and to give her man a huge hug from all of us!!

Patti

17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:15:31 am »
Thanks Patti and Terri,
  Glad to finally hear some good news. Sam must be exhausted!  tampa general is in assocation w/ moffitt. They will let someone stay in icu but there are no tv's or phones and no cots. When he gets to a regular room they'll bring in a cot for sam. Mema and Paul talked about stopping in to see him this week. Wish I was closer  :-\

M

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:24:27 am »
Sam said that he talks like Sylvester Stallone!

Wait, I'm confused, I picture him calling out "Adrian", but that's his name! I guess "Sam, Sam" works too.  :D

I'm not sure how Sam can sound great after being up 40 hours straight, but she is an amazing trooper. 15 hours is a long surgery. What does "intubated until 8 am" mean?

Great news, thanks Terri and Patti.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

satman

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:31 am »
"AWESOME"-up walking,JOB WELL DONE !
you go boy.
patti and terri -"the new bounty hunters"
run but you cannot hide, nice job.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 10:34:34 am by satman »
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

satman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 10:38:26 am »
hi steve,i  think it has to do with breathing assistance,not sure though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 10:42:42 am by satman »
kicked my little 8cm buddy to the curb-c ya !

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 10:42:12 am »
thanks terry and patti for the updates and making the phone calls on our behalf.... this is great news and now that Adrian is a "postie", now onward and upward to wellness.

Adrain/Sam.... wishes for a very speedy recovery! Welcome to the wonderful world of "postie-ness"!!!!!!! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 11:50:00 am »
Wow!  A 15 hour surgery and Adrian is up and walking already?  That's even better than I did - and I did pretty good!  :)

Congratulations to Adrian for reaching postie status and to Samantha for being his 'rock'.  She is truly an awesome lady!

Now, let's all hope and pray for a continued rapid recovery for Adrian....and a good nights sleep for Sam!  She's earned it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both...and I know I'm certainly not alone.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Battyp

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 01:50:04 pm »
entubated is the tube they put in your airway to keep it open in case they have to give you oxygen. I woke up with mine still in. Oh I feel for Adrian. Awful experience as they typicall keep your hands tied to the bed so you aren't tempted to pull the darn thing out. That was the worst part about waking up was the tube I wasn't expecting and my hands tied and not being able to see. I like to think Adrain woke momentarily then went right back out until they took that tube out.  ;D Usually, the tube is removed before you wake up in recovery. For me it was a precaution due to blood pressure issues which are more uncommon than common. For Adrian I would suspect it was just in case he started having seizures since his AN was so large. Either way,  not comfortable!

matti

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 02:30:10 pm »
Terri - Thank you for the update, I am so relieved.

Hugs to Sam and Adrian

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Obita

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 05:54:57 pm »
THANK YOU LADIES!!!

I have been checking in four or five times a day hoping to see a "He is fine" post.  Last night, the Nervous Nellie part of
me was starting to appear.  I am so relieved and happy, happy that the hard part for Sam and Adrian is over!

I talked like Sly myself and felt like one cheek was stuffed with cotton for a good month.  Invest in a box of straws Sam and Adrian.  Drinking is much easier with a straw and a heck of a lot neater.  Also, ask for prune juice in the hospital and get some for when you get home.  The prune juice will get your bowels rocking and rolling again!

Welcome to the other side you two.  Good luck and take it real easy. 

You did it!   ;D  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

linnilue

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 06:09:48 pm »
Hey Gang,  We'll all rest tonight.  And hopefullly so will Sam, Adrian's "Rock of Gibralter."  What a couple they are!  Their parents must be so proud of the way they interact with one another and support each other, it's remarkable.  They have been in my thoughts constantly.  It's funny isn't it, how close we can become through this diagnosis?  We bond, feel the same shock and pain and we hold each other up and yet we wouldn't know each other if we met on the street.  I think it's wonderful.  Now, let's celebrate.  It's a great day in the neighborhood...Holly     
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.