Author Topic: Adrian's Update  (Read 19356 times)

Battyp

Re: Adrian's Update
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2007, 11:14:50 pm »
Adrian, glad to hear from you. And such a long post too. It woudl have taken me days after surgery to type something that long!
Don't forget to keep your eye moist until it starts closing completely on it's own. I know about two weeks after surgery I got hte gritty eye thing. I thought my eye was closing but found it it was not closing completely and my eye became dry. Not a great feeling.

I am curious are you right handed? I had difficulty with my left hand (left sided tumor) right after surgery but since I've noticed issues with my  handwriting (right handed which is controlled by the left brain). Like pembo said, coloring, pracitice writing, typing, jacks, marbles, perfection, childrens puzzles are all things that can help speed your hand coordination. My therapist used to have me play a game with pegs in a peg board. Like the game of perfection. Oh how I hated that game  LOL Battle ship works too.

Good luck on your recovery and hopefully one day we will all be able to get together.

M

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2007, 03:24:26 pm »
Hi Michelle,

I am right handed, but because my tumor was, in Dr. Bartels’ words, jammed up underneath the Cerebellum which controls coordination, is why I am…well….un-coordinated….lol.  When I had my staples removed last week Dr. Bartels informed me that is also why I had such a long surgery.  The tumor was “stickingâ€? to my Cerebellum.  They had to carefully dissect it.  He did say it was very successful, just long.  The coordination should come back with time.  I’m already doing dramatically better…with typing, handwriting, shaving…..sounds silly but I couldn’t shave.  Couple that with I have a goatee and sideburns; I couldn’t do the “detailâ€? work.  I shaved with my left hand the first few times and Sam had to do the detail work.  As of Wednesday of last week I can do it all myself.  My handwriting still needs work, and that will just take practice, but is so much better than 2 weeks ago.  Typing is almost back to normal.

I feel like I had a 2 gig stick of RAM installed in me brain.  My thoughts are so much more free, light, and clear.  I never knew what was holding me back.  I also couldn’t understand why my memory was fading.  I used to have the mind of a steal trap.  I never would have thought a tumor, but glad it’s out!

The eye is constantly dry and is a sore spot for me.  If I use Genteal PM gel its great, but it’s the consistency of Neosporin so I can’t see.  I’ve been trying to use the Genteal Severe eye gel; I just have to re-apply often.  But then again….can’t see, but it is tolerable enough to read and drive, etc.  Oh well…..have to keep it lubed.  It does suck, bad when you get the “grittyâ€? eye thing….not a good feeling.

I’ve been walking around the neighborhood.  I started last Thursday, 2 week post-op date, with 1 mile.  I walked 2.5 miles this morning.  Didn’t set any land speed records, but it felt great.  The undulations in the pavement feel so extreme.  Walking is good practice and is helping with that sensation.

My incision is beautiful.  Dr. Danner (Dr. Bartels’ partner) sewed me up and did an amazing job.  The incision was never red, always flesh colored and is fusing so well.  My cut is longer that most people….from my head to my ear lobe……and I am so happy to say looking great.

I am supposed to go back to work next Monday.  I think I’m ready for it.  I emailed my Dr. Bartels today for a go-back-to-work note.  I am awaiting his response.  I have a desk job, so it shouldn’t be a problem.  I think I can do it, but don’t know until I try.  Part of me desperately wants to get back to some normalcy.  I meet with my boss on Friday and I’m sure he and everyone else in the office will be “easyâ€? on me at first.  We shall see.

There is still no movement on the right side of my face.  I am only almost 3 weeks post-op so I need to be patient.  I do have sensations of tightness, pulling, and creepy crawlies on my face.  I assume this is a good thing.  I feel like I’ve been in a fight.  My face “feelsâ€? swollen.  Every time I touch it, I do it very carefully as to not hurt it.  When someone else touches my face, it hurts.  I feel pain, so I assume that is a good thing.  There are certain areas that are very numb, but I can feel touch….it just feels as if it were shot full of Novocain.  I’m very self-conscious of my facial palsy, especially in public, but I just need to remember….at least I can walk, I can drive, I can feed my self, I can swallow, I can use my limbs, etc.  The face not working all of a sudden is less important.  Only time will tell.  Did anyone else have these or similar facial sensations and how long did use of your face take to return to normal or close to normal?

Thanks for listening to me ramble…lol.

Also…..I have to add this little note because I lived with them for 9 months.  I DON’T HAVE HEADACHES!!!  I used to have excruciating headaches.  I would call Ibuprofen “candyâ€?.  I took enough of them a day for it to be candy…lol.  I am so happy to say I don’t have them any longer.

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

deea

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2007, 08:09:09 pm »
Adrian,

I will try and call you tomorrow.  I have app. at 8 tomorrow am.  Appt. with internist went well today.  He said he saw great progress since he saw me 2 weeks ago.  Have been back to ER twice since he saw me.  I'm doing great between visits.  Just have to stop the visits. 

Glad to hear that walking is helping you.  I find that when I walk fast I do much better.  Slow pace and I tip over.  Such fun!

Hang in there buddy....We are winning this race, just a little bit further to go my friend !

Claudia

sgerrard

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2007, 10:49:25 pm »
I’ve been walking around the neighborhood.  I started last Thursday, 2 week post-op date, with 1 mile.  I walked 2.5 miles this morning.  Didn’t set any land speed records, but it felt great.  The undulations in the pavement feel so extreme.  Walking is good practice and is helping with that sensation.

Dang, Adrian, you don't mess around, do you. Barely two weeks after a 15 hour surgery, and you are out lumbering around, scaring all the neighborhood kids. :D
I bet the surgeons are thrilled. Walking 2.5 miles a few weeks after having a goose egg peeled off your cerebellum means they did an outstanding job - and that you are a great patient.

I am supposed to go back to work next Monday.  I think I’m ready for it.  I emailed my Dr. Bartels today for a go-back-to-work note.  I am awaiting his response.  I have a desk job, so it shouldn’t be a problem.  I think I can do it, but don’t know until I try.  Part of me desperately wants to get back to some normalcy.

Okay, now you are just showing off.  :)  I can understand wanting to get back to normalcy, but I have to say, not working is nice in my book. At least it is possible for you, I seem to remember quite a flap last month about family leave and all that. It sounds like your employer might be fairly reasonable after all.

My impression from various posts on this forum is that recovery of facial movement can continue for quite a while, as long as a year, and that you can get full function back in time. Keep smiling, it will be good excercise for your face!  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2007, 07:58:55 am »
Ok, so I like showing off!....lol  The truth is that I only had 30 days leave.  I have been at my place of employment for less than 1 year and do no qualify for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act).  It is not company policy, but state law to allow 30 days leave.  I guess the company could allow more, but they do not need to.  Technically, I am terminated on my 31st day and also lose my insurance.  I have 90 days after my termination date to re-apply for my position or another position all while regaining all my seniority, benefits, etc.  I don't want to go through the hassle if I do not need to and my boss might not be able to go without someone in my position much longer.  There is not anyone filling in for me, everyone else is just sucking it up.  I think I can go back to work.  I do not know where my fatigue limits are yet.....many things, as you ALL know, are very new post surgery.  But, if you don't explore those limits, you won't know where they are.  All I can do is put my head down and charge like a bull! 

Adrian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 04:29:12 pm »
Adrian -

it sounds like you are doing phenomenal (I think that's how you spell it). 

Fatigue is one of the longer lasting side-effects.  In my experience, it kind of creeps up on you when you least expect it.  But then again, you are younger than I am LOL

Take it easy, and if need be, ask your boss about returning part-time for a week or ten days before you go back full-time.  I found that scenario very helpful in my case.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Battyp

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 11:00:01 pm »
Adrian I am so impressed with your recovery!

Yes, the creepy crawly bug sensations are normal. I had that right after surgery and was told it is the nerves doing their stuff. I want to say it took about 9 months before my head didn't feel asleep. I still have facial numbness but brushing my hair feels more normal than it did right after surgery. The hand eye coordination took a while for me to regain due to nystagmus issues.
The coordination will take some time. I felt like I had two hands that were not attached to my body since they would not do what I wanted them to do. My mom got tired of me saying, "oops, I have a little problem" as I kept spilling things  LOL

Are you driving? If so I'm really impressed. I couldn't drive safely for months after surgery.

Will you boss let you return for half days for the first week while you get reacclimated? I know you only have the 30 days but surely they'll work with you some. The fatigue is a big issue and staying too fatigued can slow your recovery. I know several started back to work and slowly built their stamina.

I have been told by more than one surgeon that it can take up to 24 months for your facial nerve to heal and return to a normal state. Patience is the hardest part in that area.

You sound like you are doing great after such a huge tumor. I had headaches for a  year before surgery and kept a full bottle of excedrin migraine with me at all times. I really dislike the doctors who say that headaches have nothing to do with the tumors. I still get headaches since surgery but not as bad as pre surgery. When we get those nasty storms in I end up with the migraines.

After all you've been through you are allowed to show off!

marg

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 11:05:57 pm »
Adrian,
     If you can start out part time like Jan said it would be great.... I am still 1/2 time (my surgery was 4 months ago) but I am 53 and I teach VERY active 2nd graders.  I do not spend much time sitting at a desk or anywhere else.... and I'm pretty wiped out after a few hours at school.
     I'm so glad you have a desk job.  Hope things go well for you on the job.  If you are already walking 2  1/2 miles you must be recovering quickly.......................AH   to be young   ::)  and recoup. quicker...... I'm sure you will find the limits and adjust as needed.  We are all pulling for you and a quick recovery.
       Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Mtn Gal

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2007, 02:02:03 pm »
Hi Adrian and Sam,
I have kept up with this forum, but have not participated in about a year.  I have read your story and felt your pain as you both struggled to make the big decision and to get things worked out with doctors and insurance.  I am glad your surgery was a success and now your recovery is exceptional.  I have enjoyed reading the support given to you both and my thoughts and prayers are with you too.  You both are an inspiration to all of us and we wish you continued success in every thing.

I had retrosigmoid surgery and returned to work after three weeks.  I have an office job and had to be out at a busy time.  My recovery was very good and I felt that I could return to work.  My family didn't want me to do anything much at home, so I felt I could at least sit at my desk and answer questions or tell others what to do.  I returned full time and found by the end of the day I was very tired.  Also the help from my family sort of vanished, as they figured mom was back to work, so she can do her usual chores.  For at least six months I had to take rest periods each evening and on weekends.  I must say it took me a year to feel like I had totally regained my stamina and could do any thing I wanted.  I did not walk or exercise as you are, so that might have hindered me.  I am mid 40's, so youth is on your side.  I had the luxury of staying home for as long as I needed, but somehow I wanted to be back to normal activities.  Looking back now, I should have taken extra time because I could.  You will get very tired, and you must give yourself time to rest and relax.  Take time to take care of yourself and don't over do it.  There is nothing wrong with taking a nap when your body tells you it needs it.  Sometimes getting back to a bit of normalcy is the best medicine.  Don't be afraid to ask for help of any kind at work or at home.  Best wishes as you return to work and for your continued recovery. 

God bless.
Mtn Gal
Mtn Gal
Dx Spring 2003 (7mm)
MRI Spring 2006 (13mm)
Retrosigmoid Surgery 05/31/06
Wake Forest Univ. Med. Ctr.

linnilue

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2007, 08:19:20 pm »
Adrian,  You are a bionic man, no kidding and on top of that you live with the bionic woman.  I have so much I want to say to both of you because you are a real source of inspiration to all ANers.  Did you guys happen to see "Oprah" today with Michael Moore.  It was all about the complex "issues" with the insurance industry and their lobbiests.  You are champions becasue you did exactly what needed to be accomplished to get past the bureaurcracy and get the immediate medical attention you needed.  Most people have no idea how to even begin to do this.  But you two got it sone and you are on the road to recovery and back to work!  My God, can you believe it?!  I am so proud of you both.  Congratulations and best wishes for a continued speedy recovery.  It's just amazing.  My Very Best, Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2007, 07:46:28 pm »
Hi Michelle…..Yes I am driving, I started this past Monday.  Driving is actually better actually because the perpetual “spinningâ€? that I used to have is gone.  The only thing that is still a bother is my eyes are still very photosensitive.  Couple that with the thick eye gel that I use, and it’s not very pleasant.  I make sure to wipe my eye clean before I drive.

As far as easing into work with a part time status, that is not possible as I am a salaried employee.  If I were hourly it would be no problem.  My boss is very flexible and will be fair, but I can’t blatantly take half days.  Politics of business…lol

MtnGal……yes, I do get tired by early afternoon and have to take a nap which does worry me when I get back to work.  The only thing I hope for is an adrenaline rush to pull me through as my job is very fast paced.  That fast pace is also a double-edged-sword.  Oh well….my saying…I say it all the time……I AM STRONG LIKE BULL!

Holly…..no I did not watch the Oprah show that day.  Insurance companies are a pain.  In 2004 Florida was hit by 4 large hurricanes and at the time I was working for a company that specialized in hurricane restoration.  The company did everything from settle the insurance claim to rebuild the home/business as it was a public insurance adjuster and a general contractor.  I lost complete respect for insurance companies during that time.  I saw homeowners with $100K worth of damage and the insurance company wanted to settle for $65K.  Kind of hard to argue with a general contractor regarding the cost to rebuild a house.

Yes Holly, I live with bionic woman!  I always knew Sam was strong, but this AN experience showed me that she is………Bionic Woman!

Thank you everyone for all your support and warm wishes.

Adrian

Battyp

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2007, 12:43:35 am »
Adrian I'm in absolute awe! You're definitely rockin' your recovery. Must be all the bionic woman help you got!
Hope your boss takes it easy on you! If not he'll have to deal with us!

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2007, 05:02:17 am »
Lol Michelle…..nice to know I have an entourage!

Adrian

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2007, 12:26:29 pm »
Yo Adrian!
Bottoms up and raise a toastie,
Here's to you, you're now a postie!

Welcome back to the land of the living!!!!!
and the land of getting on with your life. You and Sam totally(in Phyll words) RAWK!!

Be well and sail on,

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW